Should i force the calories down??

Options
I aim for 1200 calories/day. Some days i can polish that off easily and have to brush my teeth and go to bed before i am tempted to eat more.
Other days i am struggling to get to 1000 calories! im full and really can not eat another thing and its like im just forcing it down because i have spare calories. Then when i close off my food diary for the day and it tells me i am eating "too few calories"

Just need some clarification, should i throw in something a little unhealthy to reach me calorie target, or just stop eating when im no longer hungry, even if it does leave me with 200-300 calories to go?

Replies

• JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The general rule is make it to at least 1200 calories a day. Maybe you could add in some higher calorie but still healthy foods, like almonds or avocado or drink 8 oz of milk.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Spoonful of Peanut Butter is great to add some extra calories!!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    it is NOT unhealthy to eat 1200 calories it IS VERY UNHEALTHY to eat less than 1200 calories. I suggest eating higher calorie- HEALTHY foods earlier in the day. Nuts (planters has a really cool pack of nuts with dark choc soy beans YUM) are high in caloreis, as well as almond milk can give you some good calories. Greek Yogurt good source of protein and just above a hundred calories a piece of raisn toast. If you want some more ideas check out my food log but YES you need to have AT LEAST 1200 calories more if you are exercercising.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I second the almonds. Those are soooo good for you.

Or even have a bag of trail mix around. A coupe handfuls of trailmix and you'll be good to go on calories, I assure you!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of 'listen to your body' - if you're not hungry then don't make yourself eat - especially at the end of the day when you will need to digest it over night...

BUT

You should aim to average around 1200 - so have a big healthy breakfast the next day in order to kick start the catch up.
  • keylareed
    keylareed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem!! I am just not that hungry, and I have been eating healthier so everything is pretty low cal. I was only eating about 800-900 calories a day my first two weeks, and I started running. The first week and a half I lost 5 lbs. Then my metabolism stopped................. I haven't lost an ounce in the last two weeks and I am still eating under my calorie goal every day. I decided to eat about 1700 calories a day last Saturday and Sunday and I lost half a lb. that I had actually gained over the past couple of weeks. This calories in vs. calories out game is CRAZY!!! Yesterday I went back down to 1200 calories and I gained back the half lb. SERIOUSLY!!!!

I would definitely try adding a banana or something to get closer to your goal. You definitely do not want to scare your metabolism into quitting on ya. ;)
  • lorijus
    lorijus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree. The days that I am under my calorie goal of 1200 I don't seem to lose anything, but when I reach that and only have my exercise cals left, I do. Going under tells your body it needs to save the fat for fear of starvation. Try spreading out your calories and make them healthy ones. A great healthy snack are Kind Bars. They are delicious and range from 180-220 calories. Good luck.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you know there are going to be days when you're under 1200 calories, then allow yourslef to go over on other days when you are hungry. Calorie zig-zagging is a well known way of keeping your metabolism guessing - look at your average over a week.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    If you are eating nutrient dense food and did not before... that will totally happen. It is kind of like your body is going into *what the heck are you doing to me???* mode (my quotes are broken -- cat spilled on the keyboard :-)). This too will pass and soon your body is going to start begging for more... especially if you live an active lifestyle.

It is not going to hinder your progress that much if it happens here and there and does not last more than a week or two. Slimming down and getting healthy is an accrued effort over time... so a day here and there of imperfection really isnt going to negate all the good work you are doing. Well as long as it isnt a whole pizza and a 12 pack kind of day ;-) (believe me I know :-)).

With all this being said I totally agree with the whole idea of just choking down a banana... we can all use a little more freshstuffs in our lives!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    With all this being said I totally agree with the whole idea of just choking down a banana... we can all use a little more freshstuffs in our lives!

LOL - Just - Cant help bu think inappropriate thoughts!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of 'listen to your body' - if you're not hungry then don't make yourself eat - especially at the end of the day when you will need to digest it over night...

BUT

You should aim to average around 1200 - so have a big healthy breakfast the next day in order to kick start the catch up.
    Agreed, I wouldn't force yourself to eat something if you aren't hungry but don't let it become a habit or it could inhibit your weight loss. An occasional day under 1200 won't kill you as long as you are stll eating small things periodically throughout the day to keep the body fueled. It will tell you when it is hungry and needs more food.
  • yates01
    yates01 Posts: 9
    Options
    WOW! thanks everyone for the advice! Ive taken it on board and had a bigger breakfast this morning, also heading down to the shop to get some almonds!!

I have heard alot about "starvation mode" and know that my body with resort to that eventually, this is why i wanted to get on top of my calorie intake before it got dangerously low.

Thankyou all again... it is great to have support during this journey
  • Smcnie
    Smcnie Posts: 12
    Options
    If you know there are going to be days when you're under 1200 calories, then allow yourslef to go over on other days when you are hungry. Calorie zig-zagging is a well known way of keeping your metabolism guessing - look at your average over a week.
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    yes...definitely nuts. Full of calories but great source :)
  • Smcnie
    Smcnie Posts: 12
    Options
    This is really true - the zig zag approach, I do a lot of exercise and work shifts. On nights I always exercise before work, have a low calorie lunch before I set off but only soup during the shift because I have no appitite on nights. However, I tend to eat more on days. I recently asked if you can carry calories over as long as you even out over the week and got a lot of good advice.

It is, as everyone has said, bad to go under your 1200 calories as your body starts to store, but if you REALLY can't eat anything to top it up, just try eating more the next day. Again, as everyone has said nuts, trail mix etc are really really good for you and an easy calorie top up. SO, if you're aiming for 1200 calories each day, then over the week thats 8400 calories - so providing you eat around 8400 calories over the week you should still be ok. I've been using this method since joining and consistantly loose. Unfortunately now I've lost the majority of the weight I needed to it's at a much slower rate, usually a lb a week now - but it was 2-3 lbs a week when I was bigger.

Hope that makes sense!

Good luck x
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

LOL - Just - Cant help bu think inappropriate thoughts!

Too funny.