Healthy food list

Options
I am going to Marks and Spencer or the Co-op tomorrow to do some shopping and it would be great we could come up with a list of healthy (low-calorie) foods I can buy. Maybe you guys can give me your top 10 or favourite healthy foods (snacks) I can buy. I am wondering whether there are some good sources of protein (low-calorie preferably) I can buy from supermarkets. Lets help gather the healthy shopping list.

Replies

• BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this one :smile:
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Well, I cook most of my meals, so my snacks consist of fresh fruit and fresh veggies. Good sources of protein are non-fat Greek yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, flax, beans (if you get the canned ones, make sure you buy the ones without any salt added, as they will only have 10mg of sodium per serving), lentils, quinoa.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    my staples are:

sardines-high in protien and calcium pretty low in cals if packed in water about 200 if in oil
    spinach-I love egg white spinach omlettes, super low cal and a good source of protien
    eggs-i love eggs, egg white omlettes,boiled, scambled
    pickles-high in sodium, low in protien, but no calories..
    chobani greek yogurt-omg i love this stuff!!!
    string cheese
    fruits and veggies
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    String cheese rolled with turkey or ham
    Air popped popcorn with butter cooking spray or olive oil
    Raw almonds or walnuts
    Greek yogurt (non fat sweetened with honey)
    Hummus with veggies or low fat crackers
    Cream cheese (low fat or fat free) with crackers or veggies
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    The best thing from M+S for a lunch is the Lochmuir Hot Smoked Salmon salad. 290 calories, proper potato salad, lovely salmon, really filling: brill!
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    High protein snacks I like to use:
    Low fat cottage cheese, fat free greek yogurt (personally prefer Chobani with a bit of added sweetener), protein shakes, low fat cheeses and lean meats that I just cook and have in the fridge ready to be gnawed on.

As far as just general snacking I like Kashi crunch, Lundberg's brown rice cakes and of course the usual fruits / veggies / nuts. I always keep salsa on hand, makes almost any bland snacking more enjoyable.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds
    Cocoa almonds (when I've got a sweet tooth)
    chicken
    tuna
    eggs
    celery
    reduced fat peanut butter
    light wheat bread
    lots and lots of fruit
    salad mix
    whole wheat or multi-grain pasta
    spray butter
    spices
    fat free cheeses
    turkey
    fat free milk
    yogurt covered raisins
    rice cakes

It usually makes for a more expensive grocery bill, but I'd rather have a more expensive grocery bill than an even more expensive doctor bill.
  • fudokung
    fudokung Posts: 31
    Options
    thanks a lot guys

in terms of fruits, which ones should i buy so far my main fruits are apples and grapes. Are they enough?
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    With regards to which fruits, I generally try to rotate through all of the ones I enjoy. Different fruits give you different nutrients, variety is usually the safe bet. However if you really only like apples and grapes, that'll do.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I keep berries around, currently buying the 600gram freezer bags of them, 6 servings a bag each serving is about 60 calories.

I also have raspberry bushes planted in the yard that I should get a crop from this year cutting WAY back on what I need to buy.
  • fudokung
    fudokung Posts: 31
    Options
    ok will blueberries do the job?

and is it good to have green tea everyday? or is black tea better??
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    thanks a lot guys

in terms of fruits, which ones should i buy so far my main fruits are apples and grapes. Are they enough?

give yourself a good variety.

plums, peaches, canteloupe, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries.... you name it, try it!

Plums, canteloupe, bananas, and strawberries are my faves though.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Here's a great list from beachbody

http://www.beachbody.com/category/michis_ladder.do

It breaks food into tiers on how healthy they are and ideally most of your food should come from the top 2 tiers. Hope that helps!
  • krystie99
    krystie99 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel bread with any natural nut butter (almond, cashew, peanut)
    Vanilla Greek yogurt with museli
    Banana's and apples
    Dole's fruit cups with 100% fruit juice
    Popcorn
    Beef Jerky
    Carrots and hummus
    ...now I'm hungry :)
  • drdiet1
    drdiet1 Posts: 7
    Options
    My favourite snacks at the moment are almonds, oat cakes and rice cakes. M&S have good selection of all three. The fuller for longer range in M&S is also good for quick ready meals which are low GI and low cal though they can be quite high in salt if you just need a ready meal or salad from time to time.

S