constipation and weight loss (TMI)

Options
This may be a little bit tmi but Im just curious bout something. If a person is constipated and not going as often as they should does that prevent weight loss? I have been for a few days now and Im really scared to get on the scale this weekend cuz of it. I eat veggies, drink lots of water and even add benefiber to my water sometimes. is it possible to have too much fiber? I just dont understand how this could happen since I've been eating right.

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It will affect the "number on the scale" but not *fat loss*.

You might try adding one or two oranges to your diet for a few days and see if that loosens things up. Sometimes even just the juice works but I have better results from the actual orange - and you don't get the added sugar that comes with most juice.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i use benfiber in my shakes add it to my teas and i make sure im getting in a enough fiber like the fiber one yogurts and greens
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't slow your weight loss down in the long run, but could definitely affect a particular day. Everyone's body is different, but one thing I noticed is that if I eat too little fat it can cause issues. For me the trouble seems to be if I'm below 30 grams per day. So if you're on a very low fat diet, maybe try adding a bit of olive oil or other healthy oils into your diet.

Another thing that might help is probiotics. You can get them in pill form most places that you can get vitamins or you can eat a serving of yogurt most days. They will help regulate your digestive system overall.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you tried flaxmeal. 2 tbsp with breakfast should help
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    I have been having the same problem, which is very odd for me. I had my gall bladder removed over 10 years ago, and since then, I have had no problems whatsoever. Maybe it is the lower fat diet, because I know when I was eating a lot of junk/fried foods, I never had an issue. I'm not as worried about my weight on the scale, I'm just really freakin' annoyed with the entire situation!
  • tonyaroseprewitt
    tonyaroseprewitt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same boat. I take 3 fiber capsules a day hoping this would help but still no luck. I am luck if I go once a week and when I do it is not good. I notice it big time on the scales also. I did not start this until I started eating healthier. You would think with the roughage from salad and fruits it would be the opposite. Yikes. Glad I am not alone.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Have you tried flaxmeal. 2 tbsp with breakfast should help

Flax seed does work wonders for regularity. And yes not having a regular BM could affect your weight loss because the longer it is in your bowels, the more toxins you build up which could slow your metabolism. I wish I could explain it better but I have read things from respected physicians on the matter.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with ibs w/ constipation since I was little. It sucks. Sometimes I go 2-3 weeks, yes weeks, without a bm. I've recently started on a new precription med and I take milk of mag (double dose chased with a warm glass of water) at night 2x a week and it's really been better. As for the number on the scale, it might be up a tad but I've weighed myself after a colon prep abs it really was not any different sadly enough. It'd be smart to talk to a GI dr. or an internist before trying anything. The usual "eat more fiber, drink 100 oz and run" plan given to me in the past never worked. Good luck! Hope you poop soon :)
  • everydayepiphanies
    everydayepiphanies Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Definitely be sure to drink your water. Not getting enough water always causes me anguish....and especially if you start taking flax!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Flax apparently works for some people but I had a horrible experience (while on a business trip no less!) with flax making matters worse, lol.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you have just started the process it's probably natural and will work itself out soon (no pun intended). If you were used to eating fattier foods, that would have provided more "lubrication" for your insides and kept things moving smoothly. When you cut back on the fat things may take a little time to get used to the idea and get moving again. Good luck!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Maybe try apple juice. I have pre-teen boys, but even now that is a fool-proof help for them.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, lots of walking.