Curves

Options
Im sure there's many posts about it. I just want people's opinions on the curves circuit training. I joined today and had a lot of fun. Im excited to go back tomorrow.

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    There's one down from my house, I've considered going.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I belonged to Curves years ago and enjoyed it for a while. My problems with it were: 1. the demographic was older - I was early 30's at the time and the average age was 70, 2. I wanted to work out early AM, and they didn't open until 6, they were closed during the lunch hour and closed by 7:00 PM, when I was getting off work, and 3 - the main reason why I left ... once I was in fairly good shape the equipment just wasn't enough for me. I wanted more weight and resistance, I wanted to build muscle and just couldn't at their settings. I switched to a gym where i could control the weights. - and and 4th... the woman that ran it was very overweight, she ate snacks the whole time we were there, and was really really critical of anyone who was in good shape not a real motivating gal :)

I would say if you are just beginning a fitness regime, you'll enjoy it for a while, but once you meet your goals, you may want to move onto something more advanced.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i joined in november, then missed december because i was snowed in

but have been going properly from january until now and i love it!

just burned 499 calories yesterday on my circuit, nearly at the 500 mark, so delighted with myself!

its great for toning and i like seeing the numbers and the green flashing lights! :bigsmile:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mandiex0
    mandiex0 Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi. I have been going to curves for 2 years now. I just started REALLY working out in the beggining of October. I am excited to say that I have dropped 47 pounds using curves. Now of course, I am on a diet also. But, i love curves :) I go monday-thursday/ for the full 30 minutes.

<3
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I belonged to curves a few years ago. I liked it for the social aspect and the fact that there were no men. I'm not sure if this is to do with my particular neighborhood but 90% were over 40yo. Most were also bored housewives with nothing else to do and they weren't necessarily there to exercise but to gossip. I didn't lose weight and couldn't get a good burn due to the speed (etc) of the group. I don't think it's for everyone...
  • amberlynnkitty
    amberlynnkitty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its great to hear all this!

Im really excited about it. The woman who helped me with my setup wasnt the owner but she was very nice. She goes because she broke her back and needs the movement.

She was telling me how most of the girls who go there will go out with one another every two months or so, kind of like a girls night out type of situation. That seems so nice to me.

Yeah, they all seemed to be a bit older than me, but I think in the long run that will help me out. Not all these sexy little things maintaining their perfect bodies around to discourage me. lol
  • Shed4Wed
    Shed4Wed Posts: 25
    Options
    I joined Curves years ago for a while, and I found I enjoyed it. The only problem I had was that once I got used to the workout, there wasn't a way to change it up as much as I needed to keep loosing weight. My friend goes and loves it.
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used Curves a couple years ago and had great results. I worked really hard during the circuits, though, and the mostly older other ladies kept telling me to slow down. It made me feel self-conscious about being the only red-faced, sweaty woman hopping around, but it's great to be sure that you got a workout for your entire body. I only switched to a regular gym when I could find one with a women-only workout space.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Here is my version of Curves. I was a member for 5 years. That was before the curves smart system. I think Cuvrves is a great start for women who don't want to be around men and very obese woman. It's also great for older women to keep there body loose.
    I started curves at 155 and went down to 141 and back up to 172. I decided that Curves was just not working for me this year, yes I gained muscle and have toned some then somehow gained it all back. I'm loving lifting free weights and hating cardio.
  • jenellechan26
    Options
    I actually worked at curves for about 8 months. I no longer work there though... but, Like most people have been saying the atmosphere is mainly older women with the intent of keeping themselves moving. I never really saw women come in and have great results. Some women who do push themselves can and will burn the calories that they are wanting too, however with a circuit like this, you really have to push yourself because it can get redundant doing the same exercise and same moves all the time every single day. That's why I think it's important to change your work out schedule up so that your body doesn't get use to it and plateau. The manager who I worked for was also a larger woman and I didn't think that set a good example. BUT every curves is different that was just my experience. If it's working for you then Great! Keep up the good work girlies!!!! :-)
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The Curves I went to was going under so the owner was trying to sell it to me. I'm so glad I passed up on it b/c she closed a year later and now only has her 4 other locations. They will be going down one by one.