Did I set my calories too low?

Options
The way I set up my goals set my calories to 1200 a day. Sometimes I can eat that much and feel full all day. But I'm super tired almost every day. I know I'm sleeping better as the weight started to come off right away, but I make poor eating decisions while tired, and I'm tired to the point of wanting a 2hour nap every day. Should I increase my calories?

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    How much exercise are you doing a day?
  • ukq727
    ukq727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to, your body is tired because it has no fuel meaning you are not feeding it properly. Loosing weight is great but what's the point it you loose it in an unhealthy way you will only gain it back. Make better food choice meals and always eat breakfast even if it's something small. Maybe set your caloric intake to only loose 1 lbs per week and also select the correct amount of activity you do. Here's to getting fit. :-)
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Haven't worked in any exercise per say, just keeping track of my steps with my pedometer and tying to up the amount of steps every day.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    no all calories are created equal - try more protein and less carb ./ fat
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I felt the same way eating 1200 calories. Some days were fine, others I felt gross!! I ended up, upping mine to my BMR plus an extra 50 calories, so now Im at around 1400 on days that I don't exercise. I ended up breaking through my two month plateau doing this:) I would at least up it to your BMR if you are feeling tired. You might lose weight a bit more slowly but at least you will be fueling your body more!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree with ukq727. Take the gradual approach and treat your body right. Increase your calories slightly. 1200 is too few. 1300 is better.
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had mine set up @ 1200 for a little while, but I only lasted a few days - I was hungry and irritable and it made me think about food ALL DAY. I changed my settings so now I'm at 1430 and I find that SO much more manageable and I'm still losing inches. And I'm happy :)
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are eating/when you are eating it as much as the calorie count itself. Usually increasing protein and lowering simple sugars can result in increased energy. Eating snacks and smaller meals is helpful. Also, exercise can be a way to increase your energy level.

Take a good look at your diary and see what you can change.

I'm not sure how much weight you are aiming to lose every week, but there is a reason the site recommends that you aim for a pound a week--a greater caloric deficit can be detrimental to your well-being. Remember that if you want the weight to stay off that this is a lifestyle change and that you are building healthier habits. If you find yourself feeling like you honestly could not eat like this for an extended period of time--then by all means increase your calorie intake.