Oh beef jerky...you are such a tease!

Options
ArchyJill
ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
Beef jerky is the total tease of my diet. I could eat (literally) pounds of the stuff. Why oh why is it so loaded with sodium? And what is UP with the sugar? Anyone know of some better brands or have a better recipe I can try?

Replies

• melissa_livesay
    melissa_livesay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's funny I have been craving beef jerky today!! :)
  • Sweetmurry
    Sweetmurry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Jack links.... just cause its made by where I live :)

but try making your own.. its expensive... but worth it....

Go to a local butcher, meat shoppe, or meat counter place and talk to them...

if you dont have a dehydrator u can do it in the oven....

besides I like mine in big thin strips... instead of chunks :)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the very thing that defines anything made into jerky is the salt. You might find something with less sugar, but salt is what is required to dry and preserve the meat. So.........beefy jerky without salt is just plain old raw seasoned meat. Sorry!!!! For me its donuts - why can't there be a low-fat donut?????? The one thing I could suggest is getting organic beef jerky from a place like Whole Foods, so at least there will be no OTHER crap added to it, like MSGs, and an array of flavors that could offer lower sugar options. Good Luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    FYI - you can make your own pretty easily, and control the sodium/sugar content that way! :)

http://www.recipezaar.com/42272

(Since it's not dehyrated with salt (or however commercial jerky is made) the texture might be slightly different - but I'd think it should be worth a try!)
  • blondskyeyes
    blondskyeyes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you have a BUc-ees gas station near you they make a mild beef jerky that has no sugar, no carbs, and is lower on sodium (190 mg per ounce).
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love jerky, I just don't let "major corporations" prepare it for me. Real jerky is actual strips of beef not ground beef that is then formed and baked or cooked... and JERKY is just dried meat, salt was used to preserve it for longer periods of time.

The following recipe is THE reason I bought this particular issue of Mother Earth News last year when I was in the maritimes.
    Pretty darn tasty jerky, simply made at home.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/print-article.aspx?id=69592
    Is the source for this recipe
    Trim off all the fat from one round steak (3/4" to 1" thick). Cut the meat into thin strips and place them in an oblong pan. Combine these ingredients in a saucepan:

5 tablespoons of pure soy sauce
    2 tablespoons of salt (obviously skip this if you don't want it)
    2 tablespoons of pepper
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 stalks of celery, chopped
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon of hot sauce

Bring this mixture to a boil and simmer it for 10 minutes. When it's cool, pour the liquid over the meat through a strainer. Then let the strips sit in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
    Afterward, remove the marinated pieces and lay them across a broiling pan. (I first tried putting them across the oven rack, but they fell right through. If you use a broiling pan, the jerky will stay put. It will also drip into the pan and so not mess up your oven.) You may need more than one pan if you're working with a lot of meat. Put the strips into a cold oven and set the temperature at 125°F. Let the meat dry in the oven 10 to 12 hours. You don't need to refrigerate it when it's finished and dry. Just keep it in a covered container.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's beef, turkey and buffalo jerky all have about 1/3 or less of the sodium as other brands, so they're my go-to.

And for the person that mentioned donuts, if you're willing to pay (and they are pricey, especially if you're in a far away shipping zone from them like I am) you can try Holey Donuts. I haven't been able to bring myself to pay the shipping costs to CA on top of the already pricey donuts yet, but I know folks that have had them and they all gave positive reviews.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Well....I think some kitchen experiments are in order! I have a dehydrator and I do make my own but I'm going to fiddle with no-salt (inlcuding soy sauce and the like) and see how it goes.

Mmmmm.....raw meat! LOL...I have to admit I like my steaks fairly bloody :)
  • HeidiM78
    HeidiM78 Posts: 58
    Options
    Google "biltong" recipes. That might help you. It is not EXACTLY the same thing, but Biltong is my husband's favourite food.
    It is also a dried meat
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's beef, turkey and buffalo jerky all have about 1/3 or less of the sodium as other brands, so they're my go-to.

Yep- I do like the Jack's links as well, but the jerky from TJ's is fantastic.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    If you do it in the oven, like I do, take tooth picks and stick them thru one end and hang them from the oven racks. Turn oven on as low as it will go, and place something between the door and the oven body to crack the door open a little. Overnight usually is all it takes.

Homemade does not need any salt or anything to preserve it, drying does the trick, and I put mine in a ziplock bag in the freezer, will keep forever that way, but never last that long, because it gets eaten quick. A little pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, some liquid smoke, some whatsthishere sauce, marinade for a day or so, and dry in oven, it’s pretty easy to make. I normally make mine from a deer I killed, but beef would work just as well. Trim all the fat and silver skin off before you marinade.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    bump
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This is the BEST Beef Jerky EVER!!!