Question for P90X Users

Options
JAG1224
JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
How do you calculate your calories burned for the workouts? I've been logging it lower than I've read it to be just because I don't want to chance it being over. Ex: Legs and Back for 45 mins I log calories burned as 300? What do you guys think?

Replies

• barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    the best way is to invest in a heart rarte monitor. they can be pricey.
  • pittocarrillo
    Options
    The best is to get a HRM heart rate monitor, and use it when you're doin your workout..... they come handy...sometimes I burn less calories than other days and just depends ho I feel and how hard and workout...
    Good luck, but yeah, I suggest get a HRM and tack them down...
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I too was just under estimating my calories. I said that I burned 300 doing plyo. I did get a heart rate monitor and used it for the first time today and I burned 524 calories according to the hrm. I like to eat back most of my exercise calories so a hrm was definitely needed. You will lose weight though logging like that since you are under estimating.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    I used Beachbody's Meal Plan Wizard:
    http://teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/meal-plans/diet-wizard

You don't have to be a Club Member for it to calculate your calories. You can't get one of their meal plans without being a member, but I never cared for those myself (or the P90X Nutrition Plan, for that matter). I've found the Wizard works really well for me, and it's so much simpler than figuring out each day's calorie burn. For me, the simpler it is, the easier it is to be consistent and stick with it and, consequently, to get results.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I used a HR monitor. For legs and back, my calorie burn was a little higher (around 400), for plyo (around 500), for upper body (around 300).
  • fishtank63
    fishtank63 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've used the exercises found in the MFP database for my P90X workouts. I use "calisthenics (push-ups/sit-ups) vigorous effort" for the weight lifting days and "Aerobics - high impact" for Kempo, Plyo, etc. I'm sure it's not exact, but when I've compared it using a Heart Rate monitor and calculating calories burned, it's pretty close. I definitely eat my work-out calories and have a goal of losing 1.5 pounds a week. Been doing this for 10 weeks and have lost 17 pounds, so it's pretty right on.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments. :)
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use the sportline, lower end heart rate monitor that I got from walmart. It is the one with the chest strap so you are not counstantly having to "touch" you watch to get a heart rate. It works pretty good...once I figured out how to reset it and all. Calories burned also changes depending on how hard you are working out, so some days I burn less calories than others depending on how hard I am trying I suppose. it helps a lot with aerobics and exercises like that though.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a heart rate monitor because different people will have VERY different calorie burns. One of my friends said that Chest and Back only burned around 300 calories for her, but I burned around 650 according to my HRM. But, other people can burn even more than that, and there's one guy here on MFP who says that he burns close to 1000 on that one.

You just can't go by generic calculators or other people's numbers. It just doesn't help you out unless you know what YOU are burning.

On the other hand, I no longer log exercise on MFP. I have simply determined how many calories I need to eat daily to lose weight, so I changed my goals to that sweet spot number and don't worry about "exercise calories." Cause when I eat between 1450-1575 calories, I lose weight. Under that I starve, more than that I maintain. So I don't even use my HRM anymore.
  • HLRoberts1987
    HLRoberts1987 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used Beachbody's Meal Plan Wizard:
    http://teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/meal-plans/diet-wizard

You don't have to be a Club Member for it to calculate your calories. You can't get one of their meal plans without being a member, but I never cared for those myself (or the P90X Nutrition Plan, for that matter). I've found the Wizard works really well for me, and it's so much simpler than figuring out each day's calorie burn. For me, the simpler it is, the easier it is to be consistent and stick with it and, consequently, to get results.

I am on there right now and I am not seeing anthing about counting the calories burned...Maybe I am missing it. where did you do on teh site to get there? I have the free membership
  • PJilly
    Options
    If you answer the questions, it will give you a suggested meal plan name (you can ignore that; you can't get the meal plan if you're not a paying member) and how many calories you should eat per day.
  • HLRoberts1987
    Options
    If you answer the questions, it will give you a suggested meal plan name (you can ignore that; you can't get the meal plan if you're not a paying member) and how many calories you should eat per day.
    oh ok I thought you were talking about is saying about how many calories you burn doing their workouts
  • PJilly
    Options
    oh ok I thought you were talking about is saying about how many calories you burn doing their workouts
    No, but in a roundabout way, it does. It figures your workouts into your daily calories already so you don't have to enter them. Personally, I find that easier than shooting for a different number of calories each day, AND it keeps me motivated to do my workouts six days a week, because I know I need to burn those calories. I still eat the same number on my rest day. It's like a recovery from calorie deprivation, and I think that's as important as a recovery from working out. It's what I do instead of having a cheat day.
  • HLRoberts1987
    Options
    No, but in a roundabout way, it does. It figures your workouts into your daily calories already so you don't have to enter them. Personally, I find that easier than shooting for a different number of calories each day, AND it keeps me motivated to do my workouts six days a week, because I know I need to burn those calories. I still eat the same number on my rest day. It's like a recovery from calorie deprivation, and I think that's as important as a recovery from working out. It's what I do instead of having a cheat day.

ah ok I gotcha. I get what you are saying. Thanks so much
  • PJilly
    Options
    You're welcome.