Ways to get more protein?

Options
I am stumped on how to add more protein into my diet. I got my cholesterol checked in December and it was pretty high for someone my age at my fitness level. So since February 1st I've eliminated beef, cheese, eggs, and fried foods from my diet.
I feel great and know I'm eating more healthfully, but I'm still not getting enough protein. I'm not a fan of soy products (GI issues), and don't really want to eat Egg Beaters for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Esp. from vegetarians.

Thanks!
~JS

Replies

• kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    have you considered protein shakes?? i use promax diet and it tastes as good as a normal milkshake but is full of protein

milk is a fab source of protein...1pint of skimmed milk is about 15-18g of protein

i am vegetarian and taking in up to 180grams of protein a day at the moment so do feel free to add me and take a look at my food diary for ideas xx
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Chicken, ground turkey (I substitute for ground beef in most dishes), Greek yogurt, cottage cheese (but watch the sodium), nuts
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When you eliminate things from your diet to lower your cholesterol, it is best to lower things that have high saturated fats rather than the actual cholesterol count. That being said, I think you did great by cutting out fried crap. You can, however, eat low fat dairy, lean beef, and egg whites and be safe. I used to have high cholesterol as well, and I reduced the amount of red meat eating only lean stuff 1-2 times a week and I use 2% or fat free dairy instead of whole milk kinds, and I use just the egg whites instead of the whole eggs and my cholesterol is now in normal ranges.

Poultry and fish are other great meat options if you don't wanna go vegetarian quite yet.

You can also add some protein shakes if that suits you.

I don't like egg beaters either (GROSS!) but an egg white omelet with veggies is awesome.

Beans and nuts have some protein in them as well.
  • drowningsea
    Options
    Well I'm not a vegetarian :x

But milk definitely is a great source of protein. So is fish. If you choose the right fish you also get the boost of the omega fatty acids.

My husband does protein shakes. He mixes it with some banana and peanut butter and water and its not so bad, especially if the banana is frozen so it gets good and cold or some ice cubes.
  • naolson
    naolson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese it is a good source of protein. Hummus is as well....use it as a dip for your veggies ;).
  • Dawnersaurus
    Dawnersaurus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like soy a lot. Soy milk, tofu, almonds, peanuts, cottage cheese, chick peas, lentils, beans
    But like previous poster mentioned, protein shakes are probably the best way to go.
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    Greek yogurt, beans, lentils all are high in protein.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    What everyone else already said.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lentils and quinoa have some protein in them!

I'd also try a protein shake. I do a meal replacement in the mornings. It's Designed for Health Paleomeal DF that I mix with rice milk (unsweetened) b/c it has TONS of fiber. Keeps me full until about 11am for my mid-mornin fruit.

What about cottage cheese? That has some protein in it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    When you eliminate things from your diet to lower your cholesterol, it is best to lower things that have high saturated fats rather than the actual cholesterol count.

God bless your soul! SO correct!
  • Iris0022
    Iris0022 Posts: 54
    Options
    I had a borderline high cholesterol experience myself. Salmon or other fish with your good omega fats will help increase your good cholesterol and decrease the bad. I also eat a lot of quinoa which is a a good protein source with no cholesterol at all.
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle (as a vegetarian) so I generally use: skim milk, reduced fat cheese, meat substitute (Morningstar Farms is my standard), beans, eggs. Unfortunately, it's often repetitive so I try to mix it up the best I can. Tonight I had... Mixed greens & spinaich w/ RF colby cheese, (vegetarian) turkey burger, black beans, tomatoes, onions, strawberries, roasted red peppers and corn salsa. There's tons of combinations out there...

Good luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Protein shake. I have one every day.

115 cal 1 fat 2 carb and 24 grams protein.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    Not to sound like a broken record, but Arbonne has amazing VEGAN protein shakes (they are NOT all created equal!!). Very smooth, and dissolve well even when you don't use the blender. They also have pre-mixed shakes that are great out of the fridge. My favorite new lunch is a tuna melt - 4 oz of tuna, slice of cheese, a little light mayo and hot sauce on bread. 34mg of protein in one sitting!! :)