Hit a plateau!

Options
Hi

I have been using myfitnesspal and going to the gym for the last four months and have steadily been losing weight (average of 1/2 kilogram every week) I have lost 9kg to date.
I have now seemed to of hit a plateau :( For the last month I have been going up and down at 60.1 then 60.4 then 60.8 and this morning I was 60.3.
I presently have a personal trainer for an hour three times a week and get some walking time a couple of times a week as well. My calorie goal a day is 1200 I usually come in under or at 1200.

Any tips on how to push past this plateau I've seemed to of hit would be greatly appreciated, I really want to see a number in the 50's staring up at me I'm over the 60's!! My Goal weight is 57kg.

Replies

• Benjiconner
    Options
    Ive been there many times. One way is to keep what you are doing eventually you will push past it. I remember one time in particular I was working out 6 times a week for an entire month last year and didn't lose any, then the next month, doing the same thing, I lost 6lbs.

Or double your cardio for about two weeks to get past it. An increase in cardio sporadically will jumpstart your metabolism.

It may sound but you could increase your calorie count as well by a few hundred for a couple weeks then go back down.

About your weight fluctuating it is normal. I myself drink a ton of water and workout alot (so I sweat) it is not uncommon for me to fluctuate about 4 lbs in a given day, depending on water, sweat, food, time of day etc.

Good luck.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    1200 works when you have a lot of weight to lose, but when you get to a lower weight, your body starts holding on. You might need to start increasing your calorie intake so your metabolism gets a boost.
  • aubreysd
    aubreysd Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been reading magazines that say Women need to start lifting more weights. I'm the person who doesn't want to be bulky but they say just lifting 5 to 10 lbs can help you burn more calories. More muscle burns more fat! I started off on 2 lbs weights and it didn't make much of a difference but I increased to 5 lbs and now I don't have that flab under my arms. It's a start and maybe doing alittle more leg and arm lifts with a little bit of added weight and you could shed a few more pounds.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    More than likely, the answer is that you need to eat more calories.

Take a look at this thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Especially look at the threads about eating your exercise calories, and the Starvation Mode ones.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Eat more, AND lift weights instead of so much cardio.
    But definitely EAT MORE. You should NEVER be UNDER 1200, 1200 is the bare minimum on your LOWEST days, some days need to be 1400, 1600, mix it up...

Change your goal from 2 lbs per week to 1 lb per week. Slower is better, and you're more likely to keep it off. Besides, if you ruin your metabolism by eating too little, you'll be losing NO pounds per week.

Just eat more. Period.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    More than likely, the answer is that you need to eat more calories.

Take a look at this thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Especially look at the threads about eating your exercise calories, and the Starvation Mode ones.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are new and know this. Thank you for reading. You have no idea how many times we bump those threads and paste those links. :flowerforyou:

People like you make it worth doing, at least we know SOMEONE is reading and "getting" this stuff.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you are new and know this. Thank you for reading. You have no idea how many times we bump those threads and paste those links. :flowerforyou:

People like you make it worth doing, at least we know SOMEONE is reading and "getting" this stuff.
    Thanks Robin. At least I'm getting something right! :smile:

I'm hoping that since we got some new moderators, we can get some Stickied Posts up top with these really common questions. Would save us all a lot of time. :smile: