Looking for a good HRM. Stuck between two choices.

Options
Hey all!

I've never posted on here before, but I've been doing MFP for about 3 weeks now, slowly working on trying to do things the right way. One of the things that I've been missing is exercising. I have started working towards running and biking, and have been able to do that fairly religiously recently. However, looking on here, it appears that getting an HRM would be a good investment in helping to ensure I get a sufficient cardio workout.

I looked online, and there are two HRMs that I am looking at getting. I would like to not spend too much money on one, as I'm still not sure that I won't accidentally fall off the weight loss wagon (as I have done before), and money's tight. The two that I'm interested in are the:

Timex T5G971
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300332081&sr=8-1

Omron HR-100C
http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000A5CEUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300332124&sr=1-1-catcorr

I initially ordered the Omron, but after purchasing, I realized that it didn't have a calorie burn on it. That was one of the critical pieces I was looking for, as it would provide me with a much better reading than an estimate on machines, or using online calculators. So I then found the Timex, and it appears to be pretty much the same thing, for the relatively same price, but it also includes calories burned.

So I am leaning a bit more towards the Timex. But I figured that I should post the question on here, and see what you guys, who have had much more experience with it than me, had to say about it.

Thanks for any input you have!

Replies

• TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have heard GREAT things about Polar HRM not trying to confuse you but they are relatively affordable, I have been researching HRM's myself and have decided to go with a polar that has the chest strap...just sayin!! =D
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Polar FT7 is what I have and I LOOOOVE IT!! (Thanks to eBay!)
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar, an FT4 in my case. I love it because it is simple and easy to use.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about those brands. I have a Polar ft40. You should look into polar!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I use Polar FT7, and I love it. I have heard that Timex overdoes it with the calorie burns, giving you double the amount you actually worked off. Have you read that anywhere? Am I remembering this wrong?
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend the Timex at all. The calorie burn is WAY off. It overestimates your calories burned by about 3x what they should be.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I've had 2 Polar's and a Nike. Like Polar the best but I'd recommend either brand. I'm not familiar with the ones on your short list.
  • gilliland24
    Options
    i have a polar FT 7 its awesome!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My sister just bought me an ePulse from Amazon and, although I found it difficult at first, it's actually pretty great. You wear it high on your forearm. I understand from the talk around here that a chest strap monitor is the way to go, but this one is pretty great too.
  • johncinarch
    Options
    I just bought a New Balance HRM at Target that records your calories and I love it. It was $49.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RS 100 which has a strap, and love it. From everything I've heard, Polar HRMS seem to be the best and most accurate ones. The more features you want, the more it will cost but there are good deals to be found.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I use Polar FT7, and I love it. I have heard that Timex overdoes it with the calorie burns, giving you double the amount you actually worked off. Have you read that anywhere? Am I remembering this wrong?

Same here, Polar FT7. The Polar FT40 has slightly more features, but a little bit pricier. The FT7 would be a nice one if you want to spend less and get something good and useful.
  • awesomea
    awesomea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RS300 and I think it is very good, doing my research it seemed that the Polar's offered the best accuracy. They may be a little bit more expensive but I think it is worth it in the long run.

I found a great deal on a new one on ebay
  • shazzabir
    shazzabir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar RS300 and I'm really pleased with it. I had previously bought a cheaper one and the signal would constantly drop and the calories were so inaccurate, very frustrating.
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    I bought the Polar Ft40. I paid 160$ for it at ****'s. I have also heard from many fitness friends that the Polar ft 11 is awesome (replaced the F7 model...109.00 at ****'s). The one I bought is great and easy to use. It gives calories burned, heart rate and averages, fit burn and fat burn, and many other goodies. You can record and keep up to fifty trainings. You can also purchase (45$) a Flow link to transfer all of your data to computer. This is something I will be doing. This was it will be easier for me to track my progress over time. I found that my heart goes up way too far for my liking, definitely glad I bought this... Happy shopping:)
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    I haven't had any experience with the others, but I'm very pleased with my Polar FT7.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use the polar ft4 and think it's great. The strap is comfortable and the features are simple.
    I'm not very techie and it doesn't confuse me at all.
    It was only $89 and it had a $10 rebate. I got mine at ****s sporting goods.

Debbie
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar Ft40. I paid 160$ for it at ****'s. I have also heard from many fitness friends that the Polar ft 11 is awesome (replaced the F7 model...109.00 at ****'s). The one I bought is great and easy to use. It gives calories burned, heart rate and averages, fit burn and fat burn, and many other goodies. You can record and keep up to fifty trainings. You can also purchase (45$) a Flow link to transfer all of your data to computer. This is something I will be doing. This was it will be easier for me to track my progress over time. I found that my heart goes up way too far for my liking, definitely glad I bought this... Happy shopping:)

I got my Polar FT40 brand new off of ebay for $139!! Great deal and brand new!
  • slmckenzie
    slmckenzie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Sorry, I didn't mean to completely abandon this thread (I get frustrated when new people do that!)

I took all your advice and steered clear of the Omron and Timex HRMs! :) The Omron didn't have the ability to track calories burned, and the Timex was not known for its accuracy, and you all seemed extremely partial towards Polar. So, after some detailed looking, my wife and I decided on two Polar FT4s. They should be in tomorrow, and I'm excited to try them out!

I've also just started trying to do the C25K yesterday, and I realized that I probably needed my HRM then as well. As I was running, I think I may have pushed myself a bit too far. About 15 minutes in, I got this horrible pinch / ache in the center of my back, that seemed to push all the way through to my chest. I had to end up walking one of the 60-second parts, and then finish out the end. I may have been pushing for too much speed, and not just ensuring I had a jogging movement, because I was averaging about a 6.5mph speed. After not running for at least 6 years, that might have been a bad decision on my part.

So, hopefully my new HRM will be in tomorrow, and I'll give it another go! Thanks again all!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Being able to see calories burned is such a fantastic motivator. You guys are gonna love it, I'm sure! :)