BMR versus your calorie intake allowed

Options
What if your BMR is higher than your total calorie intake? How many calories should I consume the bmr or the calories allowed for the day? This is without exercising for the day.

I know this has been hashed over time and time again, any response will be appreciated.

J.

Replies

• LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body uses every day without any activity -- the minute you step outta bed, you've just guaranteed you'll use more than your BMR!

So, you better have a total calorie intake that's bigger than your BMR -- by 25% or more, without counting exercise!
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    But then you would have a post at the end of the day saying you did not stay under your calories allowed, right? Which is bad no? :S
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Your calories allowed per day are not necessarily your BMR. The calorie allowance is a deficit (or larger number if you are trying to gain weight) created by this website.

They take your daily calories burned, and subtract an amount. 0.5 lb a week would be 250 less, 2 lb loss a week would be 1000 calories less.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Here is a copy/paste from my 'goals' page:

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,750 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,260 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 490 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.0 lbs/ week

Looking at that, can you see where the deficit comes in? The BMR is used to figure out your calories burned from normal daily activity, but is not the end amount. BMR is all you'd burn just by EXISTING, doing any sort of activity at all uses more energy.
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    Thank you!