Please help. I'm losing my motivation.

Options
I have a lost a lot of weight on my own but i have been stuck where I am for MONTHS and I am frustrated. I was counting calories using caloriecounter.com and it got me no where but there is also no support on that site like on here which Is why i switched. This site says I need to eat 1200 calories a day. I am used to eating like 800. MAYBE. Could the fact that I am not eating ENOUGH be causing this? Do I need to eat 1200 a day? it just seems like SO much food. I just need to push to keep going, its been tempting here lately to just give up. And even though I am much happier with myself then I was, I am not where I want to be still. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Like today my net was 589calories and I am done for the day. I just don't eat a lot.
  • iinnocence11
    Options
    Hey darlin,
    I'm not a doctor or anything but I have done a tonne of research on this is 800 calories is too few! You should be eating a minimum of 1200 a day to make sure you're not starving yourself! They say anything under 1200 calories a day send your body into starvation mode, which will help you lose weight at first, but you're slowly killing your metabolism, which in turn doesn't burn many calories but instead stores it as fat "just in case".
    I know it seems like a lot, but you should definitely aim for 1200 a day!
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1200 calories really isn't that much food...it's three well balanced meals, plus a couple of healthy snacks. I've lost 14 pounds so far eating about 1200 calories a day, so your underconsumption may be what's causing you to be stuck. Also, it might help to change your exercise routine to get over that plateau. Good luck!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yep - you need to eat to lose weight. I put on and kept on a lot of weight over the years starving myself. Of course - then I binged too! Breakfast is especially important to kick start your metabolism for the day. I used to have to FORCE myself to eat it - now I can't do without it. Good luck to you :-)
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would say that you need to up your calories. I NET my calories at 1200 (if I work out and burn 500 cals, I eat 1700 for the day). You need to fuel your body! Also, maybe change up the exercises and intensity to get that scale moving.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It could be the cause of your problems. When you are not eating enough calories, while weight loss does not stop like a lot of people erroneously believe, it does slow your metabolism and slow your progress, especially if you are not doing weight training. I say this because when your body does not have enough calories for energy, it turns to the body and even though we expect it to "eat" the stored fat, it will actually "eat" the muscle. When you lose lean muscle mass, this also slows your metabolism down. Vicious cycle...

I think the best thing for you would be to increase your calories slowly to the point of where you need to be, and to also incorporate an exercise plan that consists of both cardio and weight training. Cardio will help your heart and lungs which will help you lift weights better...which in turn buils more lean mass which will help you burn more fat at rest. Be sure to eat enough to support your exercise which is why you will hear that you should eat back your exercise calories. Basically, eat the 1200 PLUS whatever you burned off from working out.

Don't be afraid of food! I am consistently losing weight eating around 1500 calories everyday. :bigsmile:
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would suggest strongly to eat at least 1200 calories. Plus, your body is now used to the low calories you take in, and if you bump that up, it should shock your body. Maybe have some peanut butter toast and a glass of milk in the evening (soy, almond, skim, 2%, whatever)...that would get you closer to the 1200 calories. I also like trail mix if I just need a little snack that is packed with good things...
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but I've always, always heard to eat at least 1200 calories-less that that will slow your metabolism as you're body will go into starvation mode to save as many calories as necessary. Switching up your workouts-dancing, running, jogging, free weights...keep your body guessing! If you get in a rut your body will not keep striving to lose weight and you'll 'settle.'

Keep trying! When I want to quit I picture myself in a swimsuit NOW and what I COULD look like. It may be crazy but it scares me into working out more!!

I eat the alloted 1200 cals a day-if I'm under its only by 100 or so, and I'm losing weight healthfully and slowly-about 1-2 lbs week. (And then I'll go 2-3 weeks with no weight loss, sigh as Im building muscle.)

Keep up your good work!!!
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    you're just at a plateau. up your intake for one or two days and you'll see a sudden drop in weight again. happens to me every so often. just gives your metabolism a shock.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    yes, you are stuck and loosing motivation because you need to eat more! At least 1200 a day...
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The people above me are right. You need to eat more and give your body the fuel it needs on a daily basis. There are a number of threads in the forums about eating exercise calories and the importance of eating a minimum number. This goes into my personal thoughts a little more: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new But, as I said, there are a TON of other good threads from very intelligent and knowledgeable people. Good luck!!
  • kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    from what i understand and the blogs i've read from other people, if you don't eat enough calories your body goes into starvation mode. as if your body tells your brain "red alert red alert! any food that enters, go ahead and store it!!! cuz we ain't getting much! oh yeah, and don't burn it off either, cuz we don't know when we'll be getting anymore." when i signed up it told me 1200 was my intake. i did that for about a month, and then i went down 100 to 1100 calorie intake. but sometimes i find myself actually still getting 1200. i hope this helps. if not, hopefully a nutritionalist or someone who knows A LOT more about it than i do can comment. good luck! and congrats on your progress so far!
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    800 is NOT a lot. Not if you're including what you drink. I can definitely eat under 1200, but that's if I do absolutely NO exercise. I've read a bit on this and even stars (ie; Britney Spears) go with the 1200 calorie diet. Also the more active you are, the more you should eat. If I have a crazy day at the gym I end up eating 1300 or more... and I dont feel like I have over eaten at all.

Plateau's really suck. The biggest problem with them is everyone is different, therefore there are different ways to get out of the plateau rutt. I friend of the family went on a strict diet to drop more weight (done by a personal trainer) and lost NOTHING. She was so angry! However, she starting working out a lot AND cutting out bread and she dropped over 20 lbs in 7wks. She figured out what she needed to do... as will you.

There are a lot of ppl on here that study and read into this stuff so I'm sure you'll be given a ton of options and opinions of what to do.
    Good luck!
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am not afraid of food, i am just always on the go or always too busy. It is easier to just grab my water bottle (I drink over 1/2 my body weight in oz a day) and I am good. I always thought I was eating too much till i started counting calories and I realized that i really didn't eat that much. I appreciate all the help and all the opnions. I am just ready to finish this weightloss journey!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels to just NOT want to eat because you're just not hungry, but I agree with the other posts about upping your calories. I also have a very very hard time eating breakfast. It really grosses me out to eat anything before 11am and I'm usually up no later than 7am. I don't know why this is, but I am going to try to at least start the day off with an apple or something until I can get to where I can eat a regular breakfast in the morning because it will help my metabolism. Just start off slow with trying to eat more...add a little each day and pace yourself where you'll be able to have a good net. Remember that we're not gonna get everything right in a day....we've just got to deal with a little trial and error here and there, and be patient until we get a system going that works. Don't worry...you'll be fine. Feel free to add me and maybe I can help you with adding some foods and you can remind me to eat that doggone apple in the morning!:laugh:
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I also take vitamins every morning. not that that matters as far as calories go but as far as getting my nutrients goes
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Yeah I can not eat first thing in the morning it makes me feel nauseas but my bad habit is eating dinner at 7/8 cause my husband works late.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nah, vitamin supplements aren't the same as vitamins and minerals from your food.
    You definitely need to eat more. Your metabolism can definitely slow down if you're eating too few of calories.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I know they arent a replacement, just a boost.

I also want to thank you all for not being judgemental or rude about this. I asked on my facebook and ended up deleting a few people because of how they acted towards me. I just want to make it clear that i don't do it on purpose. I dont want to starve myself. that is why i am asking. i want to get on a better schedule with better habits.
  • megancx3
    megancx3 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm having the same problem actually. I'm working to slowly increase how many calories I eat, but it has been hard. Best of luck to you, don't give up <3