Exercise with bulging discs

scaris01
scaris01 Posts: 7
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I have bulging discs that hit my nerves and radiate down my left leg... sometimes it is even hard for me to walk. I've tried several different exercise techniques yet I am always in severe pain after, unless Im feeling ok and just go for a 10min walk- anything more than 10-15min and I am crying in pain.... any advice on what I can do cause Im getting saggy in areas and I want to fix that.

Replies

• hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    I unserstand your feeling...all too well..I have a disc in L1 ..really can not excerise too much.I try to walk a little at a time..
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    been there, done that. WATER THERAPY is the answer!!!
    so swim, or walk in the water, or do water arobecics, etc.
    just get into the water. it will take the pressure & weight off your bulging discs so you can get a work out in.
    good luck :flowerforyou:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Have you tried a pilates mat class/DVD? The exercise is performed primarily while lying on your back and is great for all over toning, but especially your abdominal core. I have also read wonderful things about the effects of Bikram yoga for injured backs. Another option might be an aqua aerobic class, because the weightlessness greatly reduces the impact.

Sorry to hear about your pain, though. Chronic pain is so debilitating. Hopefully some others can point you in a helpful direction.
  • scaris01
    I used to do water therapy!! Cant believe I completely forgot about that! Thanks for the help!
  • scaris01
    Thank u for ur advice. Its very helpful!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    I have one, too. I got a Wii Fit about two years ago and it helped me so much with my balance that my back started to get better. I really credit it for getting me started on the road to losing weight - because I felt so much better! The yoga and balance games really helped me a lot, and it was worth the money because I didn't have to pay co-pay and deductible for therapy.

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.