too much protein? is there such thing?

Options
For the last several days, I've gone over the 'goal' amount of protein. My calories have been slightly under, carbs under and fat grams hovering right around goal - sometimes a few grams under or a few over...

My question is, is there any harm in routinely ending up with more protein than what mfp has set as the goal?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. It's all dependent on your lifestyle. Are you very active? If so, then more protein is necessary. I set my protein intake higher than mfp suggested (although I have trouble meeting this...).
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Nope. MFP sets the protein on the low end.
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    I go over my allotted protein every day because I have protein shakes for two meals. Well Im still losing weight...?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    MFP's default level is very low for protein. Even if I person is not very active I would suggest more. If you are very active, and are lifting weights, increasing it would be a very good idea.
  • MrsMedeiros
    Options
    My boyfriend and I make a point to eat more protein everyday then what is recommended. More protien helps build muscle which helps you burn fat. Its better to eat more carbs recommended and less carbs because your body uses carbs to burn for energy and if you don't consume so much then it will burn fat for energy. Don't double it or anything but going over isn't going to hurt you.
  • Georgeannq
    Georgeannq Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    great advice - thanks all!
  • skeenanft
    skeenanft Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did when I set up MFP was custom adjust the goals so that I was on a 25%protein 55% Carb/ 20% fat ratio (a higher % of protein if you are very lean like 30/50/20)... then I make sure that when I create my meals I always start with my complete proteins 1st and foremost (i.e. egg, chicken, turkey, etc) then I make sure I meet my fat requirements, it is then at this time I add in a portion of starchy carb and fiberous carbs to bring up "total" calories... I don't count the 'plant based" proteins as my total protein requirement for the day... I recommend this to all of my clients and it works wonders!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Doubling it is exactly what I did. MFP sets protein goal to 15% of your daily calories, I bumped mine to 30%, as that gives me the 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight I'm aiming for, if I were strength training on a regular basis I'd probably up that even more, but as I don't always hit that goal as it is I'm not looking to increase it any right now.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Like everyone has said: cater it to your needs. I strength train almost daily so my intake is (on a good day) 1 gram per lbs of body weight. Once I get the kinks worked out of my diet and get toned to the degree I want I will probably even up that.

It's about balance and finding out what works for you. MFP has me eating like 300 carbs a day. Not gonna happen.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    what did you go into to change numbers?
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I looked it up because I was interested in the answer as well. I guess the takehome is if you're going to eat extra protein for muscle building increase water and calcium intake.

"A common misconception about excess protein in the diet is that it can cause kidney damage; excess protein cannot cause kidney damage even though it does make the kidneys work harder. When protein is metabolized nitrogen is a by - product; the kidneys work to remove the extra nitrogen from the body. As of yet, no studies have found an high rate of kidney problems in strength athletes as would be expected if too much protein caused kidney damage. Also, Zaragoza et al. (1987) studied animals with very high protein intakes for more than half their life span and found no serious adverse effects.

High intake levels of protein can lead to increased water loss because the body excretes water to dispose of urea, a substance formed in the breakdown of protein. Water loss coupled with the fact that most athletes loose a great amount of water through sweat, can lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not properly monitored. An excess of purified protein can, however, take calcium away from bones, thus predisposing one for osteoporosis. " - Lee Knight Caffery from Vanderbilt University
  • zulunery
    zulunery Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm with everyone else who says it's ok to overdo protein. My trainer suggested I limit my carbs to 140g MAX a day, and even then she said that is too much. But that I should take in at least 100g of protein a day. It's also important if you are weight training because it feeds your muscles. Good luck, increasing my protein seems to have helped for me.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To change your numbers for macro nutrients, or actually sodium and that too click My home.. goals... change goals... custom goals... set the % you want for carb, fat and protein, adjust your sodium to the new recommendation of 1500mg per day, up your fiber level if you care to, click save and enjoy the updated "for you" plan
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Seriously. I was averaging 300g - 400g daily. Sure, I body built so the lifestyle is different, but health wise, I couldn't be in better shape.