Just read Food, Inc.

Options
I started reading Food, Inc. and plan to watch the movie tonight. But 30 pages into the book and I have 95% decided no more meat. I am going to try to go just vegitarian at first. Then vegan. Then nothing but whole foods. Plus I want to start training for my first 5K in July! It will be a lot of work but I can not eat meat anymore without thinking about what I could be eating. YUCK!

Replies

• HannahPastoor
    Options
    I don't eat meat...BUT my sister (who is veg) told me not to watch it because of my weak stomach and high gag reflex. I do know what happens though. I just cannot see the video and stuff..
  • TJ26
    TJ26 Posts: 35
    Options
    That movie was such an eye opener for me as well!
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    I understand what you mean, but I know where the meat comes from and i just decide not to eat beef and stick with chicken and fish. Good luck in running ur marathon.
  • rebeccawible
    Options
    man... ignorance is bliss! lol don't think i wana know :noway:
  • missgotwings
    missgotwings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I watched that documentary a couple of years ago and it really stuck with both of us We buy pretty much all organic now (still eating meat and fish) and he killed a deer for us this past winter so that's the majority of the meat that we eat right there. We know where it came from, how it was killed, and the fact that it didn't sit and rot in a meat packing facility somewhere. Good luck with your efforts! I too would like to go vegan one day.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Real eye opener, huh? DEFINITELY read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" next, it's even more inspiring, IMO.

I'm an athlete so I need a ton of protein, and I think it would be impossible for me to give up all animal protein. However, I don't eat any red meat (I haven't since I was 11) and try to eat mostly fish. If you are simply more mindful about where your food comes from (IE, always get wild salmon, because farmed is corn-fed) then you will be so much better off.

Feel free to ask me any questions, as a runner I think we could definitely relate!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    man... ignorance is bliss! lol don't think i wana know :noway:

I agree. I know a lot of what happens...

But I will never give up my meat unless someone proves that it is going to be kill me tomorrow.

I live a happy healthy life eating meat everyday.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It was amazing to see. I buy my beef from a local rancher now - it's more expensive, but grassfed is healthier and it tastes better too. I stick with local eggs too. It doesn't mean you have to eschew animal protein (soy is Monsanto and Morningstar foods can't be organic labeled because of the hexane they use to get the soy protein), just choose better.