low cal chicken and broccoli (chinese)

Options
afries0907
afries0907 Posts: 36 Member
I absoloutely love chicken and broccoli..does anyone out there have a delicious chicken and broccoli recipie??? i'm not sure what to make the sauce out of or how to cook the broccoli exactly.. do i steam it first or just toss it in the pan??...all suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i buy the packets of beef n broccoli seasoning mixes...i cant remember off the top of my head who makes em, or even the calorie count for that matter *i havent made it since i started this* i prefer to steam my broccolli first, because i like mine much more on the tender side. but it says to just stir fry, until its tender crisp.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    bumping just in case....:happy:
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Look for hoison sauce!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I prefer to cook a stir fry in the wok with sesame oil seasoned with some ginger and a teeny bit of low sodium soy sauce. I serve it over whole grain brown rice.

Today I made sweet and sour chicken in a pan using sugar snap peas, baby carrots, and fresh pineapple slices with a homemade sweet and sour sauce. This was also served over brown rice. You can google the recipe for the sauce, and it is really good, low calorie, and next to no salt.

I always try to season things myself because those packets like to add tons and tons of salt to your food that you didn't know was there. I found that out when I bought one for making my lean burgers. I had 96/4 meat, fat free cheese, and a whole wheat bun...but the packet of seasoning killed me daily amount of sodium. I was sad...but then I saw the ingredients on the packet, and I can just buy those spices and make it myself leaving out the salt.
  • LindaWarner17
    LindaWarner17 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:

4 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast (110-120 calories)
    3.5 oz broccoli chopped (34 calories)
    1.75 oz onion chopped (20 calories)
    1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped (4-8 calories)
    1/4 tbsp canola or olive oil (30 calories)
    1 tbsp sweet and sour sauce (30 calories)
    1 tbsp light say sauce (15 calories)

1. Precook the chicken: Fill a small pot with water and boil the chicken breast until there is no more pinkness in the meat. (I find boiling to be very convenient because I can add my chicken breast frozen if I need to, and boiling removes some of the fat and sodium content of the chicken breast.)
    2. While the chicken is boiling, add the oil, onion, and garlic to a pan and cooked covered on medium heat until slightly golden. If this is done before your chicken is cooked, simmer with a cover on low until you have the chicken ready to add.
    3. Cut the chicken into thin strips.
    4. Add the chicken, broccoli, sweet and sour sauce, and light soy sauce to the pan. Cover and cook on medium heat until broccoli is tender.

*If you like a little spice, try adding hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or cayenne to the mix*

This meal has a total caloric value of 257 :happy:

And who said Asian cuisine can't be healthy and delicious!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    This recipe would work really well... just swap out the beef for chicken!

http://www.healthygrocerylist.com/RecipeDisplayPage?RECIPEID=783
  • afries0907
    afries0907 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    that recipe sounds AmAzInG...i will definately be trying it!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Chicken Lo Mein

1/2 lb. spaghetti, uncooked ( use whole grain)
    1/4 cup KRAFT Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing (lite)
    1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen bell pepper and onion strips, thawed, drained ( I use fresh and eyeball it..lol)
    1/2 cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth (I usually don't use this I just cook chicken in the dressing)
    1 Tbsp. peanut butter (optional)
    1/4 cup lite soy sauce (optional)
    2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro (optional)
    2 Tbsp. chopped PLANTERS COCKTAIL Peanuts (optional)

Make It
    COOK spaghetti in large saucepan as directed on package.

MEANWHILE, heat dressing in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken and garlic; stir-fry 3 min. or until chicken is no longer pink. Add vegetables, broth and peanut butter; stir-fry 3 to 4 min. or until chicken is done.

DRAIN spaghetti; return to pan. Add chicken mixture and soy sauce; mix lightly. Spoon onto platter; top with cilantro and nuts.

Tips/Variation Prepare as directed, using multi-grain spaghetti and substituting 2 thinly sliced green onions for the cilantro. VariationsSpicy Chicken Lo Mein: Add 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper to the hot dressing along with the chicken and garlic.

Pork Lo Mein: Substitute 1 lb. pork tenderloin, cut into strips, for the chicken and reduced-sodium beef broth for the chicken broth.NoteTo make the lo mein easier to serve and eat, break the spaghetti in half before cooking.

My kids absolutely flip for this recipe. Some people prefer angel hair pasta..I don't ..lol. I know you will love it. I got the recipe from http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/chicken-lo-mein-107768.aspx
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely certain you can put broccoli or any other veggi you want in that recipe I have used many different things..Gonna make it tomorrow night..My daughters are already jumping with joy when I told them...lol