is it just me....

Options
Ok... so I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who is like me and my crazy thought process?

Whenever I eat something "bad" (cookies, cake, pie, etc.) I regret it so much after.... then after like a few minutes of yelling at myself for eating it and giving in the pressure.... I tell myself that today is already ruined so I should just eat whatever I want then I binge on all of the junk food... even if I am full, not hungry, or do not even want it. This is so frustrating! Ugh!!!

But, On a more positive note.... today I ate a piece of cake and so far have not told myself that it is ok to go crazy. I went to the gym instead and worked out extra hard. I am trying to break the cycle!

Replies

• tinamariebarton
    tinamariebarton Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, its not just you, I do exactly the same. I start the day feeling really positive and determined to be good but as soon as temptation is put my way, I can't help myself and indulge. I enjoy eating whatever it is but soon after I feel really guilty and hate myself for not being stronger. Some days, I think, well I've already been bad so I may as well continue and promise myself I will be better tomorrow!
  • ChshireKat
    Options
    I don't do that with food I do that with the gym. If I don't leave on time it is not worth wasting the gas and going for less time.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    YES! It happens to most of us and you really, really have to work on it - it takes time and you’ll never be perfect. I have no quick answer for you but you just have to STOP, put the brakes on and say ok I had a treat, I went too far but tomorrow is another day rather than going back and eating another 1000 calories b/c whats the diff in going 200 over or 1200 right? Its 1/3 of a pound over that’s what! Its hard b/c no matter how much we say on here we aren't depriving ourselves since it is not a diet but a way of life we are depriving ourselves of much of the food and definitely the quantity we had before so our brain and heart reacts and we want to give in.

Try again, you can do it!
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I find if I don't give in to some cravings, I snack on other foods to make up for it. If it fits into my calories, and it's just say, a cookie or two, I don't let it get in the way. We're all human.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I think that's where we all go wrong.

I've countered it by removing the "VERBOTEN" label from all my foods. Instead of saying that cake is BAD or ice cream is BAD or cookies are BAD, I tell myself that everything is good. Things that were bad foods before are sometimes foods now. That's why I make sure I eat something sweet every day: to remind myself that if I'm in this for the long haul, I have to learn how to deal with unhealthy foods.
  • crys30
    crys30 Posts: 43
    Options
    I think that's where we all go wrong.

I've countered it by removing the "VERBOTEN" label from all my foods. Instead of saying that cake is BAD or ice cream is BAD or cookies are BAD, I tell myself that everything is good. Things that were bad foods before are sometimes foods now. That's why I make sure I eat something sweet every day: to remind myself that if I'm in this for the long haul, I have to learn how to deal with unhealthy foods.

I like your way of thinking, and if you get things with fewer calories helps too. I'm addicted to ice cream so skinny cow is my new favorite.
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have done that in the past. Now I log evverything before it goes in my mouth. if I am over I do some sort of exercise to get under. Don't let a small slip be a landslide.
  • Shadea
    Options
    I used to do that too but then I read somewhere that if you really think about how many meals you eat in a day/week/month/year one slip up isn't that bad. If you find yourself thinking "I've ruined my day" try and stop yourself and think "I've slipped up on this one meal." One meal isn't a big deal. The whole day is difficult to over come. One meal is just a "few" extra calories. A whole day is a LOT of extra calories. It's taken me some time but I find that it helps remove some of the guilt. BUT don't fall into the trap of thinking "Oh I can eat ___________ because it's only one meal I'll be screwing up."
  • charliebrowniee
    Options
    Me three. My understanding is it's also a chemical thing. Those treats cause sudden sugar variances that can make us feel a need to eat like crazy again. I am ashamed -- I did it today. Started with an M&M cookie while grocery shopping today...went straight downhill afterwards!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have felt this way before. It's like, "well crap, I already screwed up so it won't matter if I have this because the day is already screwed up." I never think about "this will make it worse than it needs to be" which is what I should be thinking. I also have this bad habit of when I mess up my food for one day, I won't even workout because I figure that I have already messed the day up so why not just continue? Craziness.
  • Lance76
    Lance76 Posts: 16
    Options
    y'know... tracking calories is a pain in the *kitten*... but, it's the only thing that keeps me from doing what you're talking about...
    i may screw up at lunch, and eat a big 1000 calorie sub... but if i log it, i may still find that i haven't broken my daily total allowance, and i can either work out to level things out, or i may even find that i still have a couple hundred calories left that i can have for dinner and still meet my goals.....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If it is earlier on in the day, I will try and max out with a mass volume amount of healthy food after like fibrous veggies, eggs, oats, something like that. If I can fill my belly up that quick then I can't fit anymore bad stuff in then it's all good :P

"doesn't work when drinking alcohol" :P