Cutting out fruits?

Options
Has anyone experienced weight loss after eliminating fruits?
For me, fruits make up half or more of my carb and sugar intake. I wonder how much more effective my weight loss would be if I eliminate that.

Replies

• skiptwo
    skiptwo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a good sourse of energy. Berries are the best, low in calories with lots of fiber. I would not eat bananas they contain high amounts of sugar. I lost 80lbs. In 8 months. I had a fruit smoothie every mourning before going to the gym, consisting of berries and unsweetened almond milk. (40calories)

I did not feel hungry again for about 4 hours.

Hope this helps.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would never cut out fruit. They have so many other things in them that are important for your body. As far as carbs and sugar, it's the PROCESSED carbs and ADDED sugars in processed foods that are the bad guys. I do not worry about sugar from natural sources like fruit and dairy and limit my fruit intake to two servings a day.
  • joshort123
    Options
    karincakes pretty much said it all. Cutting out certain guilty pleasure foods/comfort foods is a plus, but eliminating such a essential source of natural energy and vitamins seems unwise.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'd never eliminate fruits from my diet. They're the main tool that helped me drop almost 100 pounds (almost 60 since joining MFP). Fresh, high in fiber, delicious and filling. They're my anchor. I'd never eliminate them from my diet.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't eliminate them, but I do not eat as many as I have noticed other people eating. I like my strawberries and blueberries everyday, and I have a banana every now and then. I also enjoy apples, and sometimes I eat them as a snack by themselves when I am pressed for time.

While I agree that you should be more worried about the processed sugars, I also think that too much of a good thing is not necessarily good. You can easily go over on your calories eating fruits in abundance so you might want to watch that.

But I wouldn't eliminate them from your diet.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    my doc told me that if my sugar/carbs come from fruit, he doesnt care. which is great, since i love fruit!! i mean i try not to eat too many bananas and other fruits that are really loaded with them, but i will NEVER give up fruit! it is just too good for you and too yummy!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest - when I don't eat fruits I do lose more in that time period. Awhile back I cut out fruit entirely and lost consistently for that period of time. But I love fruit too much to not eat it at all, so I try to just eat it sparingly now. When I do eat too much fruit in a week, I tended to either not lose or sometimes gain. And I wasn't going over calories, just factoring the fruit into my normal daily calories. So I try to eat more veggies than fruit and chose my favorite fruits for the times that I have them to make 'em totally worth it. :)
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest - when I don't eat fruits I do lose more in that time period. Awhile back I cut out fruit entirely and lost consistently for that period of time. But I love fruit too much to not eat it at all, so I try to just eat it sparingly now. When I do eat too much fruit in a week, I tended to either not lose or sometimes gain. And I wasn't going over calories, just factoring the fruit into my normal daily calories. So I try to eat more veggies than fruit and chose my favorite fruits for the times that I have them to make 'em totally worth it. :)

Thanks for sharing! I think I'm going to cut fruits out for a week and see how that goes. In the future I'm only going to have berries if I do eat fruits.
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    I agree that fruit is too yummy and good for you to cut out completely, but if trying to lose weight, a limit of 1-2 servings/day is probably a good idea..I have read that you should eat bananas before they turn ripe (unfortunately they are not as sweet, either), so I only eat them a couple of times/week...Berries are very low in cals and sugar, so a great choice and so good for you! An apple with 1 T natural PB is such a filling snack, too... I will be curious to hear if you lose more weight by eliminating fruit for a bit..I am trying to lose that last 10 -15 lbs and wonder if doing that would help...Please post results!
  • healthyandthin
    Options
    I agree that fruit is too yummy and good for you to cut out completely, but if trying to lose weight, a limit of 1-2 servings/day is probably a good idea..I have read that you should eat bananas before they turn ripe (unfortunately they are not as sweet, either), so I only eat them a couple of times/week...Berries are very low in cals and sugar, so a great choice and so good for you! An apple with 1 T natural PB is such a filling snack, too... I will be curious to hear if you lose more weight by eliminating fruit for a bit..I am trying to lose that last 10 -15 lbs and wonder if doing that would help...Please post results!

Unfortunately, I only have bananas and apples at my college's dining hall. They aren't the best fruits to eat and I"m sick of eating the same fruits. I'll let you know if I see any changes!
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall combining the fruit (carb) with a protien (i.e almonds, nut butter), also helps your body process the carbs more efficiently. I would not eliminate them. As with everything, everything in moderation.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    when I did my stomach got flatter!...theres no harm eliminating them for a while, taking vitamins supplements the nutrients.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It is good to eat a protein with a carb so it does digest better.
  • silver_lining87
    Options
    Apparently my Mum read an article in the paper which said that eating too much fruit is actually bad for you because of all the sugar they contain.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    For me, fruits make up half or more of my carb and sugar intake. I wonder how much more effective my weight loss would be if I eliminate that.

Get rid of carbs from grains, legumes. potatoes before ditching your fruit. Bananas are not high in sugar but are among the highest of the fruits and way lower glycemic impact than an piece of bread from whole grain flour.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Apparently my Mum read an article in the paper which said that eating too much fruit is actually bad for you because of all the sugar they contain.
    yes!!! problem is we usually go for the more sweeter kind and forget about the rest!! :happy:
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I saw a quote in Mens Fitness magazine just recently that I loved (and, of course, does NOT just apply to men). It went something like:

"America didn't get so overweight by eating too much fruit, no matter how (naturally) sugary they are."

Sure fruits have sugar in them but they are also generally high in fiber, antioxidants, and other GOOD/GREAT things that your body needs. You might see initial losses in weight from removing them but your overall HEALTH won't be as great.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever eliminated fruit was when I tried Atkins. Now, I'd never do that again without talking to my Dr. or a nutritionist first.

I don't believe it's healthy to cut all fruit from your diet, as many have mentioned its nutritional benefits for your overall good health, but you seem determined to try cutting it anyway.
  • healthyandthin
    Options

Get rid of carbs from grains, legumes. potatoes before ditching your fruit. Bananas are not high in sugar but are among the highest of the fruits and way lower glycemic impact than an piece of bread from whole grain flour.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Get rid of carbs from legumes? What am I suppose to eat? I don't eat starch and grains anyway. I'm also vegan. Haha, legumes and vegetables are all I have left.
  • healthyandthin
    Options
    when I did my stomach got flatter!...theres no harm eliminating them for a while, taking vitamins supplements the nutrients.

Thanks for confirming!