foods to eat whilst weight lifting

Options
hi all, im gunna be lifting weights into my daily exercise routine and any advice on what are the best foods to eat to help muscle growth would be appriciated...thanks :)

Replies

• CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    u dont need to be trying to build muscle. when u trying to lose weight. u need more food to build muscle. a whey protain shake would help
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you should eat, but I hope you won't be lifting weights with the same muscles every day, as if you are going to weight lift every day, you should alternate.
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    im nearly at my ideal body weight so i will be introducing weights alot more as i go along and yes i wont be using the same muscles, i will alternate everytime i workout :)
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    protein!
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    I would add more protein if you are going to lift. MFP calculates the amount of protein you should have as pretty low and especially low for weight lifting. Maybe I am misunderstanding another poster here but weight lifting is awesome for losing weight because the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn in a day.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein and more protein....Almonds, nuts, lean meats, just to name a few
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've read you should eat protein within 30-60 minutes after a workout. As far as throughout the day, any lean protein would work: tuna, white chicken meat, white turkey meat, lean cuts of beef, veggie burgers, skim milk, etc. I'm not sure why someone would say you don't need to increase muscle to lose weight, bc muscles uses more energy [ie calories] to do the same activities. I've been losing weight-gradually-for over a year now. One thing several trainers have stressed is weight training.. building larger muscle groups... bc the muscles burn more calories.

Good luck to you!
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    I would add more protein if you are going to lift. MFP calculates the amount of protein you should have as pretty low and especially low for weight lifting. Maybe I am misunderstanding another poster here but weight lifting is awesome for losing weight because the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn in a day.

yea ive heard similar also...i think lifting weights speeds up your metabolism
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not only that, but I don't think people would really mind gaining weight if it is muscle, not fat.

I have started to do weight lifting, and as long as it is muscle mass, not fat, I am happy :)
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    I've read you should eat protein within 30-60 minutes after a workout. As far as throughout the day, any lean protein would work: tuna, white chicken meat, white turkey meat, lean cuts of beef, veggie burgers, skim milk, etc. I'm not sure why someone would say you don't need to increase muscle to lose weight, bc muscles uses more energy [ie calories] to do the same activities. I've been losing weight-gradually-for over a year now. One thing several trainers have stressed is weight training.. building larger muscle groups... bc the muscles burn more calories.

Good luck to you!

great stuff ty :)
  • LMP1979
    LMP1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When it comes to muscle building there is a different train of thought by many. (ie: cardio or muscle building, not both at the same time).

A friend showed me this site (www.musclehack.com) and I've been reading off it. Has alot of good information and am starting to try and follow a bit of what is talked about here. Has alot of good articles at the least. If anything - he does talk about foods to be eating and provides some recipes.
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    yea ive heard similar also...i think lifting weights speeds up your metabolism

You are exactly right. Your metabolism will continue to be revved up for anywhere from 24-32 hours after lifting.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the 30 minutes afterwards and one in the morning when I wake. Was told this was the best thing for muscle building and definition! I also read that you should have 2g of protein per kg of weight... i.e. I weigh 57kg so aim for 114g of protein! In the ten days i've lifted, i've already got some pretty good definition!