Multi grain bread concern

Options
tanniew78
tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
I bought a loaf of multigrain bread, thinking on the rare occasions I bother to have bread, I would make it a more wholesome and smarter choice. I go with the 12 grain so I know its mostly fiber and good for me.

Well I got into it today to make a grilled cheese sandwich and it reeked. Smelled like nail polish remover. I threw it away, but it was only a week old and it smelled really really bad.

Does this happen a lot with grainy breads? Is there a special way i need to be storing this? I had it out on the counter. :grumble: Expensive stinking bread! :grumble:

Replies

• alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've never had that happen. If it has a chemicaly, nail-polish like smell, it might not be the bread? Maybe a piece of plastic or the wrapper was burning or something? That just seems really crazy. I always use just basic wheat bread for my grilled cheese sammies-- never had a problem there,
  • tanniew78
    Options
    No, it was coming from the bread itself because I smelled it first from the pieces i had in my hand.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    some breads without additives go bad quicker. I keep bread in the freezer, it defrosts quick and I most often toast it anyways :) That way it could possibly keep for MONTHS!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I try to break all the purchased bread down into 2 or 4 serving packs and freeze them, since I'm either making them into french toast, grilled cheese the freezing doesn't affect the taste / texture to me.

I do find it seems to go bad faster than white bread but the only time white bread is in the house is if I make some home-made!
    Try keeping it in the fridge take out the 2 or 4 slices you need an hour ahead of time to let them soften up from the chilling.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Where do you store it? I always store my bread in the fridge
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Yeah I would never expect bread to keep more than a couple days on the counter :noway: . I freeze all the loaves I buy each week, and we just get out a slice or two as and when we want them.
  • tanniew78
    Options
    well im used to white bread and that will sit for a little while on the counter. Not terribly long. But still... I guess this goes to show how often I eat bread. lol. Hardly ever. :blushing:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good, this means that it is actual food and subject to going off! It sounds as though the grains in it have started to ferment.
    1 week is way too long to keep bread on the counter, put the next loaf in the freezer and just take it out as you need it. No need to thaw, you can put it straight in the toaster frozen.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    multigrain bread tastes and smells wonderful but it can't be left out as long as the higher processed white breads.

Keep it in the fridge or freezer if you don't use it much.
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Thanks for the input from everyone. Bread in the fridge from now on.