Horrible cravings! :(

Options
I was just wondering whether or not anybody else has insane cravings like on a regular basis? I've been with MFP for about a month and I've been trying really hard to stay away from all the fast food and sweets that I love, but sometimes I just salivate over the thought of a burger or a big bowl of ice cream or a brownie. Does anybody else have this problem?? Or has anybody else had this and managed to get rid of it? How long does it take for the cravings to go away? It would be nice to know that I'm not alone and that this isn't going to last forever!

Replies

• beeme2
    beeme2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do! Especially when I am on my period which is now. I also noticed I get more cravings when I am stressed or not getting enough sleep. Usually, I would indulge in one thing I been craving to try to get that "fix" so I won't get myself into a binge later on. Or, I would have some yummy hard candy with me since hard candy are usually only 60 calories for 3 pieces.

Goodluck, and you're definitely not alone.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I binge bi-weekly on my favorite candy bars (Heath and Kit Kats). Like, 2,000 calorie binges. It's pretty ridiculous. I couldn't even give them up for Lent because I knew beforehand I would fail (I gave up TV instead, which I am so far so good at!)

I eat them because I am pretty close to my goal weight and I didn't do it before on my way getting there...it is really hard though. You just have to think, "What do I want more - that tasty donut or to wear some high-end designer clothes in a photoshoot that makes me look outright SEXY as hell??" I always choose the latter.

Good luck!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to have said items...but don't go crazy. For the burger...go the turkey burger route. For the sweets...I find those 100 calorie packs to be awesome. Also, trader joe's has amazing tofu and soy ice cream sandwiches! You can't even tell they are soy or tofu! The tofutti cuties are awesomeeeeeeeeee <3

Just think to do it a different way! You can have what you want.
  • CougNurse2011
    Options
    Only thing I have found that helps is brushing my teeth, or doing something to distract myself. I dont have enough self control yet to "have just a little" :(
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    still eat all the stuff ilove i just cut back on portions and dont eat it all in 1 day. i figure i will fail if i give it all up. plus i am trying to make a life change for good, and in order to do that i need to learn to balance good with bad.
  • kgarza810
    kgarza810 Posts: 37
    Options
    turkey burgers are so yummy. I usually have one when im craving burgers. I agree with above. 100 cal packs are great when you want something sweet.
  • maaalloryy
    Options
    Oh definitely. That's my worst problem.

I crave chocolate and sweets more than I ever did before I started my weight loss journey. I've been trying to be a little less strict with my diet to see if the cravings go away. You just have to try to see what works for you.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't really get that problem because I am trying to work some of my favorite treats into my diet. Yah it may take me a bit longer, but it seems to be working. I have not gone crazy and binged out on anything because I get a small treat every day. Most days I am so short on calories I have to have a bowl of ice cream to catch up anyway. I do allow myself a fast food indulgence every once in a while, but I order just a hamburger with no fries & no soda and make sure I get in a work out & eat less the rest of the day. Most of the time I just make hamburgers at home though they are so much healthier and I can load them up with tons of yummy veggies. I do the same for pizza. I find that it is actually very fun for me to try to get as many veggies into my home made treat & make it as healthy as possible. But I say if you really are craving something just have it, but in moderation. As long as your in your calorie goals for the day what's the harm?
  • tigerbloodgirl
    Options
    Find substitutions for your cravings that will be less destructive to your healthy eating plan than your regular choices. For instance, instead of a bowl of ice cream (which will totally blow your sugar and fat intake for the day), try something like Jello Sugar-Free Pudding with a tablespoon of Cool-Whip Lite! I'm learning how to swap out my usual bad choices for better choices in this way and so far it's gone a long way towards getting rid of those gnarly sugar cravings I used to have. I have gone a whole month without sugar (cake, sweets, ice cream) for the first time in my life. So far substituting is working for me. Good luck!
  • cjreesejr
    cjreesejr Posts: 22
    Options
    Hey saw your post and wanted to reply. yes the cravings will go away. how long they last depends on what kind of cravings you have...if they are Psychological(your mind or emotions causing the cravings) typically shorter if they are Physiological(your body craving it and not your mind) then give in....dont over due it though. you def are not alone. my advice is dont ever diet.just make a lifestyle change.do habits you can manage the rest of your life not for a few weeks.also try using substitutes for your weakness until you can manage the cravings...good luck with everything and keep up the good work
  • caliredwoods
    Options
    Nope, you are not alone! I certainly go through that; yes stress and time of month will cause the cravings for me at times. "Experts" say that it takes between 21-30 days to break a habit or start a new one. (Not addiction, mind you, but reconditioning).

Think about the habits in your life that you didn't used to have, but can't LIVE without now! I'm thinking of my water habit, where I HAVE to have water with me at all times- habit! Or people who have to have their smart phones with them 24/7, but for years everyone has survived without them- habit! TV, online, gaming, whatever, if you avoid or add the behavior long enough, it will either cease or become a habit.

I have found in my weight loss, though, that if I gave up all the stuff I wanted, I would think of it more, especially if it is not a necessarily unhealthy habit. I love the little mini candy bars that I can have a couple of and feel like I am "cheating" but only add a negligible amount of daily calories. I had to actually stop walking down the candy isles near the pound M & M bags for awhile to curb the urge!

My challenge right now is giving up alcohol for Lent. Talk about a habit! Go to dinner with the hubby, have a glass of wine or cocktail. Anniversary weekend or Valentine's Day- champagne anyone? St. Paddy's Day, have a green beer! Party, well, duh! Not to mention the habitual night-cap.

I agree with the poster who says to distract yourself. If I find myself thinking about eating or drinking something unhealthy or unneeded, I try to find something else that will distract or substitute (this month, when I think about wanting a cocktail, I pray instead, or have a cup of tea).

Good luck to you, and don't be too hard on yourself if you give in once in awhile. Just don't fall into the mindset of "Oh heck, I gave in one day, so I may as well forget it altogether!"
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pizza is the bane of my life.