I'm not going to let PCOS get me down!

mooseofmargate
mooseofmargate Posts: 4 Member
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone,

My name's Amy and I'm from the outskirts of London. I have always struggled with weight loss but put it down to low self-esteem / lack of motivation / bad genes! However, I was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) which has helped me to understand why my weight has been more of an issue for me than some of my friends who had similar eating habits.

When I was told I had PCOS in November my doctor didn't really offer any sort of in depth information or support, other than telling me I need to lose weight (story of my life) and that excercise should help raise my self-esteem and make the whole task easier. I have done a bit of my own research in order for me to understand PCOS a bit better, and although it's a bit mind-boggling because it's such a complex condition with so many symptoms, I now feel ready to make some positive changes to my diet.

I started this year off with good intentions, I joined a gym and as you can see I even downloaded MFP to my iPhone! But the last few months have been quite hard for me emotionally and recently I have hit a bit of a wall - feeling like this condition means I'll never be able to lose weight (because it was hard enough when I thought I was just being lazy!) but after a long chat with my lovely Mum last night, and with the sunshine streaming thought my window this morning, I have decided TODAY IS THE DAY.

I'm not going to let PCOS get me down!

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    welcome amy, saying hi from sunny bristol this morning, gd luck come on u can do it:flowerforyou:
  • blizzies
    blizzies Posts: 5
    hey amy!

when i read your post, i said to myself, i know exactly how she feels. Because i have PCOS too. and having weight problems has been the story of my life too.

just wanted to write you to keep on going and doing the things to make yourself healthy and fit. you can do it! :-)

blizzie
  • LouMaca
    LouMaca Posts: 6
    Hi Amy

I have pcos too and like you wasn't given much info/advise from my doctor about this. I am trying to conceive and it's been an incredibly stressful time for me and my husband. I want to give you a glimmer of hope though, i have just weighed in this morning and my weight loss total is now at 2 stones. I started trying to lose weight just before christmas, so i just wanted to let you know that it can be done, i also have an underactive thyriod. The weight definately doesn't come off the same as it did when i was in my teens (now 31) but i'm chipping away at it every week. I have a long way to go but i feel more positive now that i will get there, i joined the gym last week and was really down on sunday, went to the gym and i got such a buzz it cheered me right up, i'm going back tonight after work. But any exercise will do that, even just walking or an exercise dvd at home. I'm setting myself little goals to aim for.

Best of luck with it all and stick with it through the good and the bad

xx
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    I had to smile when you said PCSO's... I thought you were talking about those 'Police Community Support Officers.' :laugh:

All the best with it; my wife was diagnosed with PCSO's, but when they opened her up to operate, they'd dispersed! This was in the early 90's might I add... So she has a lovely scar for no reason whatsoever :cry:
  • rowey_eowey_dowey
    rowey_eowey_dowey Posts: 1 Member
    Good Luck Amy,

I was put in the same boat last year when i was diagnosed with PCOS. I think its must be the same world over, casue I wasn't given much advice from my doctor on how best to lose the weight. All I know is that if I want to ever have children, I need to lose the weight I'm carrying! Which is crazy cause I am what is considered to be an "average" Aussie?!?!

I have lost 4.5kg last year but then i feel off the wagon a bit with christmas and New Year, but I'm hoping to re-kick-start my weight lost journey.

I'm hoping that this website and Iphone App will help to encourage me and everyone with their own personal battles.

Good Luck and God Bless.
  • mooseofmargate
    mooseofmargate Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement.
    I am feeling very positive today but I am aiming to post something every day however I feel.
    I have just given myself a 30-day challenge to kick start, I'm going to mark a square off every day I stick to my programme.
    Best of luck to you all and thank you again!
  • Hi

This post really touched me as its sounds like you are the same as me. I was told when I was 16years old (10yrs ago) that something was wrong with me and I remember clearly my mum saying I may not be able to have kids.But I didnt know the medical conditions name.

I was 19 stones at the age of 18 and was told the same to lose weight to help and gain confidence. My problems werent just weight as I struggle with Hirsutism very badly. I lose the weight - 6 stone over an 18mth period. This made me as a happier person but was so difficult. I only meet my partner at the age of 20 (my first partner) as I hide away from anyone due to my problems. My partner is completely understanding of my condition and loves me for me. However, over 5 years of being with him, I put on weight again and reached 15 stone 13lbs. I was horrified with myself, but it was my own doing. When I realised what I had done to myself, I started to look into PCOS as I was worried about not having children.

In September 2009, I approached my doctor about losing weight and getting tests done. My doctor gave me a target to lose 2 stone by March 2010 to start with to enable me to have tests. I reached this target by end of February 2010. I was refered to have tests done and I was told that I have only 1 ovary and that it is very damaged with lumps caused by PCOS and that my chances of children was slim. I still continued with my diet of counting calories and on my 26th Birthday I reached 3 stone loss - reaching my lowest weight that I can remember of 12 stone 13lbs. During my weight loss, my confidence grew but my Hirsutism got worse. But i dealt with it the way I have done since age of 12.

But everything changed on 20th May 2010 as I found out I was pregnant - my miracle baby. She is now born, my little Lily and is 7 weeks old tomorrow. I look at her every day and thank god (im not religious) that I have her. I put on 4 stone over the pregnancy and my battle to lose weight starts again today!

Please don't let PCOS control your life as I have let it in many ways, especially with the hirsutism as I have hidden away. Never did the typical teens! but losing weight is possible but you just have to take your time with it. I am here if you want to support each other on the weight loss or just want to chat

Shellx
This discussion has been closed.