NEED ADVICE ON CARE OF POLAR FT4 STRAP/ELECTRODES!

Options
Hello all you fellow Polar FT4 users!

I just got mine today, and had a blast using it tonight. I'm definitely thrown off by this "wet the electrodes on the strap before using" and "wash in a washing machine at 140 F after every 5th use but don't put it on a spin cycle" business. I need some advice from all of you users out there on the use and care of the strap/electrodes. I felt so weird running the strap under water! I didn't think it was supposed to get wet. And the washing machine? How do all of you take care of it?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The strap is fine to get wet, really it is. It gets more wet from me working out and pouring sweat than the little bit of water I run over it when I begin. You can also follow the instructions like you listed and toss it in a washing machine.

The bad part is when that little clip thing is still connected, that is what will ruin it. Just gotta remember to unclip it :)
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I wear mine during water aerobics, so it's fine. I put it in a lingerie bag in the washer and hung it up to dry, after wearing it a few times. But you do need to wet the two strips for the electrodes before you put it on. I love my FT4!

Sharon
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Bump...Thank you so much for posting this! I was thinking the same thing..LOL..I got the FT7 and I need to put it in the washer, but I'm so afraid (even though I got the warranty..LOL)
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    I have the FT4 and haven't washed the strap in the washing machine but wash it in warm soapy water without the clip attached. It's very durable and I've used mine 6 days a week for about 6 months without any problems.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You have to wet the sensor pads so it can get a good reading on you until you're sweaty enough for it to make contact. I wet it before my workout and rinse it afterwards. When I do laundry on the weekends I put it in a little mesh bag I have and toss it in the washer along with my clothes on "warm". I then hang it to dry. I don't recall seeing anything about no spin cycle. I've done this for a couple of months now and it works just fine.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I believe they just say to wet it before hand so that it sticks to ya and there is a good flow of current. As for care of the strap, I just soak it in my sink with some antibacterial soap. I remove that one piece though, not sure why but I do lol. For some reason this strap is much more susceptible to smelling vs my old one I had for years. Oh well! lol
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the feedback guys! Keep it coming! I appreciate all the helpful info. Still debating the washing machine vs. sink-washing, but at least I feel better about doing either now!

Thanks again!