Stronger, Flexible Quads?

Options
I hope I can articulate this well…

I carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs. I’m a typical apple-bottom. But I feel really imbalanced in the strength of these muscles. Although I have strong and flexible hamstrings, hips, groin muscles, and glutes, the fronts of my thighs are very inflexible and weak. They tire very quickly when challenged (squats, chair pose) and ache for days after I do pilates or BodyPump.

I am looking for some advice—especially a resistance machine I should be using, because I am still intimidated by weight machines—to strengthen and increase flexibility in my front quads.

For an example of the imbalance:

I can easily do this http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/693 but this is absolute torture http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/490

Thanks in advance for the response.

Replies

• spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You may not like my suggestion but I recommend that you use the leg press machine 3x a week. It is one where you sit down. Usually there is low enough weight choice that you would be able to do it. Do 3x10 reps going down for 3 counts and up for 3. (Slower will activate more muscle cells.) Start light so you will feel comfortable and then increase weight the next day. Work up to feeling that after the 10th rep you could not do one more. Then that is the weight amount you use. You should see results in 2 weeks. Just sneak in and then sneak out of the weight room. Good Luck!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You may not like my suggestion but I recommend that you use the leg press machine 3x a week. It is one where you sit down. Usually there is low enough weight choice that you would be able to do it. Do 3x10 reps going down for 3 counts and up for 3. (Slower will activate more muscle cells.) Start light so you will feel comfortable and then increase weight the next day. Work up to feeling that after the 10th rep you could not do one more. Then that is the weight amount you use. You should see results in 2 weeks. Just sneak in and then sneak out of the weight room. Good Luck!

Thanks. I *want* to use the machines. I’m just ignorant on how they all work. So, I just avoid. This the right machine I should look for? http://www.fitsugar.com/Gym-Equipment-Explained-Seated-Leg-Press-Machine-675098
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    bumping for additional input
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I personally woiuldn't bother with the resistance machines uness you're already at the gym - just do squats. Lots and lots of squats. Once you progress and "air" squats are too easy, you can add a couple of dumbells or a barbell. Leg presses are comparitively easy (too easy), and don't work all the same muscles in the same way. Make sure you get low - most people barely make it down to parallel. I squat to a dynamax ball (maybe 14" tall?) - but you could use a box or just squat all the way down (see videos below).

Great tutorials: http://www.stumptuous.com/lurn-to-squat-good-e-zy

Editing to add - this is my general approach to every exercise that I stink at - I just do it more until I get better. Just like runners get faster by running, and pitchers get better by pitching, your squats will get easier by squatting! :) I do pullups, pushups, and squats (plus a lot more) everytime I go to the gym, and it's amazing how far I've come in 5 months.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    You and I have the opposite problem! I have huge quads, and little bitty girl hams lol!

Personally, I despise resistance machines so I can't help you there... what I can suggest though are lunges (my personal fav) or hack squats. I think the lunge is a more advanced exercise, and depending on how you choose to do them, can possible be a bit dangerous.

The hack squat. Not hard at all. Use a barbell with what ever weight you feel comfortable with. Stand in front of it with the back of your ankles touching, squat, grab it with both hands, stand up, keep your back straight, squat again, repeat.

There are video of various techniques on you tube.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    When doing Hero's Pose stick a folded blanket between your heels and sit bones to alleviate any tightness.
    The following poses are excellent for your quads.... Triangle, warrior one, warrior two and bound angle pose, The warrior poses really build a lot of strength in your quads.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Thank you guys. I am getting some good ideas of things to try.
    Make sure you get low - most people barely make it down to parallel. I squat to a dynamax ball (maybe 14" tall?) - but you could use a box or just squat all the way down (see videos below).

Great tutorials: http://www.stumptuous.com/lurn-to-squat-good-e-zy

Great info and demos. Looks like I definitely have some work to do on my squats.
    The hack squat. Not hard at all. Use a barbell with what ever weight you feel comfortable with. Stand in front of it with the back of your ankles touching, squat, grab it with both hands, stand up, keep your back straight, squat again, repeat.

There are video of various techniques on you tube.

Checked out two videos on youtube. I am definitely going to try this one.
    When doing Hero's Pose stick a folded blanket between your heels and sit bones to alleviate any tightness.
    The following poses are excellent for your quads.... Triangle, warrior one, warrior two and bound angle pose, The warrior poses really build a lot of strength in your quads.

I feel very strong in warrior and triangle, but I feel like that’s mostly because I can get very low due to flexible groin/hips/hamstring. I feel it in my quads, but I think because those other muscles are strong, they are compensating for my quad weakness. But when I do hero pose, where those other big muscles cannot help out, I am extremely uncomfortable. Maybe it’s a sign that I need go deeper or hold longer.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    I would hold longer on the warrior poses. How do you feel in child's pose? It gives a good stretch in the upper thighs as well.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    I don't know if you ever seen on my exercise post when I put I worked out on the "Arc Trainer" most gyms these days have it. Its a machine that looks like the elliptical but the arms doesn't move that really put a burn in my quads and it makes them stronger. I have just the opposite from you. My quads are strong but my hamstrings is not so strong. If your gym doesn't have the arc trainer then get on the elliptical and put it at a higher intensity to burn those quads it works well. I started out on the elliptical then advanced to the arc trainer. Good Luck I hope this helps.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I would hold longer on the warrior poses. How do you feel in child's pose? It gives a good stretch in the upper thighs as well.

Childs pose feels okay, but I cannot get my butt down on my heels unless my instructor presses on my lower back. I know that part of this is simply the girth of my thighs (they were 29.75 inches when I last measured). But I can definitely feel the muscles pulling on my quads and around my knee.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I don't know if you ever seen on my exercise post when I put I worked out on the "Arc Trainer" most gyms these days have it. Its a machine that looks like the elliptical but the arms doesn't move that really put a burn in my quads and it makes them stronger. I have just the opposite from you. My quads are strong but my hamstrings is not so strong. If your gym doesn't have the arc trainer then get on the elliptical and put it at a higher intensity to burn those quads it works well. I started out on the elliptical then advanced to the arc trainer. Good Luck I hope this helps.

Thanks, Lashawn. We don’t have the arc trainer. But I do intervals on the elliptical (2 mins at incline10, intensity 8; and 2 mins at incline 4, intensity1 ) for 45 minutes. I have been doing this for a few weeks, but I think I might need to try longer periods at the higher intensity until I get stronger.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend squats- use them as the base for all your leg training. Since they require the most energy, I'd advise to put them at the front of your leg workouts. I also would recommend using a box or bench to squat onto- this has been fantastic in helping me not only develop my quads, but also increase my overall strength in the squat. Just make sure to pause for a full second once you lower yourself onto the box. Plant your feet and use your quads to raise yourself off the box- your hamstrings and glutes will finish the movement at the top.

Other exercises you can try are the leg press, leg extension and lunges. On the leg press machine, position your feet near the bottom of the footboard (but not so low that your heels are not touching it)- this position will isolate the quads. Conversely, putting your feet higher on the footboard will isolate the hamstrings.

On the leg extension, make sure that your legs do not go past 90 degrees at the bottom and that they are straight at the top of the movement. This machine has a reputation for being bad on the knees, but that is due to either sloppy form and/or not taking the time to properly adjust the machine. However, when used properly, it's excellent for isolating the quads.

Lunges are also a great overall leg exercise- you can do these with your bodyweight, walking, standing, with dumbbells, a barbell or in a Smith Machine. A couple of general rules are to make sure your front leg makes a 90-degree angle both at the knee and at the ankle; and do not let your back knee touch the ground. It does take some time to get the form down, but it's well worth it.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi Yolanda

My quads are strong because of all the cycling I do, but I can't do the second move you refer to in yoga, so the flexibility can be better. Can you do the camel pose? That seems a really good stretch for the quads to me?

Julie
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Hi Yolanda

My quads are strong because of all the cycling I do, but I can't do the second move you refer to in yoga, so the flexibility can be better. Can you do the camel pose? That seems a really good stretch for the quads to me?

Julie

No. I am very limited in camel. I get nowhere near my feet. I also cannot grab my feet in bow pose (similar to camel, but lying on belly). I can definitely feel my quads tighten like a rubber band in camel. And though I think some more flexibility in my low back would help, it’s my quads that ache in that pose.

But I am a weak squatter (as I now see from the videos of proper squats). So, I think as Mayor West and others have suggested, I need to start doing them. And not every couple of weeks.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First, I'd recommend the leg extension machine and the standard standing or prone quad stretch.

Leg Extension Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyvSfVjQeL0 The reason for the position of the back of the calves touching the seat is so that the pivot point of the machine is lined up with the axis of the knee joint to prevent knee injury.

Standing Quadriceps Stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Quadriceps/Standing.html Be sure you don't grab the foot with the opposite hand as this puts too much torque on the knee.

Prone Quadriceps Stretch: http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/leg-stretch/prone-quadriceps-stretch.asp Same as the standing but laying on the stomach.

A couple of corrections to the above recommendations: NEVER let your knees go past your toes or go below 90 degrees when you do a squat. This puts too much shearing force on the knees and can cause an injury. Same with lunges. This is also true of the leg press. When you do a leg press, bring the feet up high enough on the platform that your knees aren't past your toes when you are in the down or squat position. You want to strengthen your quads not risk a knee injury.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A couple of corrections to the above recommendations: NEVER let your knees go past your toes or go below 90 degrees when you do a squat. This puts too much shearing force on the knees and can cause an injury. Same with lunges. This is also true of the leg press. When you do a leg press, bring the feet up high enough on the platform that your knees aren't past your toes when you are in the down or squat position. You want to strengthen your quads not risk a knee injury.

Actually, most all of the recent research disagrees in regards to squatting below parallel. More info in the links below:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/leg_training_myths_exposed

http://www.apec-s.com/Deep Squats.pdf

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/22/6/768.abstract
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    For strength and ease of technique I recommend goblet squats
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/goblet_squats_101

and Single leg Split squats
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSingleLegSplitSquat.html

For flexibility: just keep doing regular stretches. I am naturally VERY unflexible but I have worked on it a lot and stretch usually once a day (while watching TV) and have seen definite improvements. If it's joint mobility then google some mobility drills (similar to stretching but more joint related).
  • scrapdreams
    Options
    I may be waaaaay behind you in fitness Yolanda - but when I was in physical therapy last Fall because of my knees, one of my major goals was strengthening the quads to support the knees. But because I had knee issues, things like the squats and lunges that others are recommending here were pretty much out of the question. If you want to start with a few things that will work the quads, but not stress the knees try:

1. (for flexibility) quad stretches - stand with feet hip distance apart. Bend one knee back so that foot is towards your bottom (touching if possible). Hold foot or ankle, keep hips in line. Hold for count of 5 full breaths. Change legs.

2. (for strength) straight leg raise - lying on back, tighten abs and slowly lift one leg straight up to about 45 degree angle. Lower slowly. Repeat for count of 10 and then switch legs. If you are keeping your core tight, you should feel this burn in your quads. If it is too easy, add ankle weights.

3. (for strength) Wall squat - standing with back against wall, slide down wall to squatting position with knees parallel to floor and hold, slide back up. Repeat 5 -10 times. The longer the hold, the bigger the burn. I do this with a stability ball behind my back, so I am actually rolling down the wall and it protects my back muscles during the move.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    First, I'd recommend the leg extension machine and the standard standing or prone quad stretch.

Leg Extension Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyvSfVjQeL0 The reason for the position of the back of the calves touching the seat is so that the pivot point of the machine is lined up with the axis of the knee joint to prevent knee injury.

Standing Quadriceps Stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Quadriceps/Standing.html Be sure you don't grab the foot with the opposite hand as this puts too much torque on the knee.

Prone Quadriceps Stretch: http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/leg-stretch/prone-quadriceps-stretch.asp Same as the standing but laying on the stomach.

A few great points here, especially about the standing quad stretch.

Though I must disagree with the recommended squat/lunge distance. For a beginner it is ok to stay above 90 degrees, but as soon as ones strength and flexibility has increased: *kitten* to grass. Doing only a partial range of motion, will not be near as beneficial as full range.

Of course all this depends on personal goals and ability.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You have given me some progressive techniques to get these quads stronger and more flexible. I really appreciate all of the tips and links to videos. Very helpful.