Your bottom or your face?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I have often heard that once you get to 40 you have to choose between your bottom and your face, and tbh all the people over 40 I know who are very thin/have 20 year old bodies look facially much older, whereas the podgier people have younger looking faces.

Have you been faced with this dilemma? I really don't want to be. Is there any way round it?

Replies

• stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Yes. If you don't starve yourself, but eat healthy stuff and lose weight slowly but steadily, your face will show it too!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    My mother is 47 and beautiful, plus she has a decent, toned, body and shes at the perfect weight for her height. My grandmother still has a young face with virtually "no" wrinkles for someone who is 65, but she carries weight in her stomach, not so much her legs or arms.

I think it just varies from person to person. There's no way around it :p
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I read an article about this. Fat DOES plump out wrinkles. That's why people are always injecting stuff into their faces.

I'm over 40 and lost more than 40 pounds ( most pre-MFP) and I'd never wanna go back even if it means a wrinkle or two. :bigsmile:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Its true to a point, no one is saying you have to be fat but you may have a tad more than your preferred goal.

My goal is 154 lbs, its the weight I was happy at for 20 years but i've stated several times that now i'm the wrong side of 40 I will stop when my face starts showing it but i'm pretty sure i'll get very close to my goal weight before it starts showing in my face. Also the slower it comes off the better, sudden weight loss is not good for the skin...any skin!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Some of the most beautiful stunning women of our day are over 40, that's all I wanted to say.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight, you lose the pudginess in your face, no matter your age. However, I have noticed (being 46 now), that the more fat you have in your face, the less the wrinkles show. But.....having wrinkly, loose skin is not just a result of being thinner. It's genetics, age related, and related to sun damage. All those play factors in how your face will look later in life. And I am not going to be fat for a few less wrinkles. Outside of just not liking how I look and feel if I'm heavier, as you age, you have to worry more about diabetes, high blood pressure, and a whole host of other ailments that are obesity related. So I'll take the wrinkles and remain healthy. Btw, there's always Botox! ;)
  • marmite230
    Options
    QUOTE: "I have often heard that once you get to 40 you have to choose between your bottom and your face, and tbh all the people over 40 I know who are very thin/have 20 year old bodies look facially much older, whereas the podgier people have younger looking faces.
    Have you been faced with this dilemma? I really don't want to be. Is there any way round it? "

I dont know if this was meant to be funny but i found the whole question/statement hillairious!!

Answer: have the fat removed from your bottom and injected into your face.... (Still Laughing)
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    Looking older doesn't bother me (I don't dye my hair and definitely have a good sprinkling of "silver" highlights). Feeling older does.
  • staceylshannon
    Options
    First of all, the title of this post cracks me up.

Secondly I would like to thank all of you wonderful ladies for getting this in my head, for today I feel that I will be looking at everyone's bottoms and faces.. lol! And I am now thinking about everyone I know 40+ and seeing if it is one or the other with them...

Such great things to look forward to! =)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Have a look round the Success Stories photos. EVERYONE looks younger, don't they? :happy:
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    Lose weight at a sensible rate and DRINK TONS OF WATER!!! My mother died at 83 years old (was thin all her life) and not a wrinkle in sight! Hopefully it's in the genes!!!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My mom is 44 and she is still absolutely gorgeous. She is Italian and has wonderful skin and hair, and no wrinkles. I hope to inherit these things! She struggled with her weight up until about 10 years ago, she has been a stable size 12 since then and I really think she's thriving in her 40s.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Have a look round the Success Stories photos. EVERYONE looks younger, don't they? :happy:

Yes, they do, which was what inspired me to write this. Last time I lost weight (2 years ago), I started looking so wrinkly I stopped and put some back on. I was only 31.

This time I am not so much losing weight as toning up, as I am doing more exercise and less through diet, and I haven't noticed much of a problem yet, but I do have more wrinkles round my eyes that I did 3 months ago, which is irritating as I have never smoked, and always wear sunglasses. My skin everywhere else has definitely improved.
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    Options
    Wrinkles are a part of life.....every wrinkle is there as a result of who you are today and what has made you the person you are! whether you are 40, 50 or 90.....or even 16.....we need to realise that each day we ARE getting OLDer......nothing to be ashamed of....in fact it's better than the alternative!..........so I will embrace my wrinkles and lose the weight (even if it reveals more wrinkles) because my aim is to be healthy and happy IN SPITE of aging.

would I prefer to have smooth wrinkle free skin? yes you bet!!!...but not at the cost of my health.

so bum or face??

for me....neither....it this tummy that has to go!! LOL
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i think it was Coco Chanel that said this..... and maybe it is true....but

i had a 'friend' tell me to stop dieting in october coz she thought i looked really old..... after the initial shock I got my head around it and decided then, and am still very happy now, to look a older if i am healthier and fitter. What is the point of having pumped out wrinkles if you also have pumped out arteries?

I have found that i lost weight it took my skin a little while to catch up..... so i'd sag for a bit then un sag..... dont worry about it I say
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Haha,I am 42 and I want both.I work on my hiney crazy ridiculous and i use a ton of face products.I know that as I loose weight I get more wrinkles ,less fat to fill them up
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    healthy lifestyle and GREAT moisturizers!! Why do you have to choose?
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    Perhaps the idea that a thin/good/attractive body is one with zero fat on it, is part of the problem. Our society is so obsessed with zero fat, that I see teenage girls (where I work) pull out skin on their bellies and claim that they are fat. A little fat does make the face more attractive - and it can also make thighs, butts and arms more attractive too. When I was a teenager, I thought my "fat cheeks" were so ugly that I wouldn't smile too big for fear that it would draw attention to the "fat". Now (at 43) I look at curvy round teens and girls and find their plumped out skin sultry and sexy. I wish I had known what I had and not been embarrassed or ashamed by my sexuality.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i've noticed that too with lots of people to be honest i'm 30 in may but still get told i look 18-20 so its all good lol !
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your genetic. I look you and people always thing that I am mid 20. My mom is in her late 50s and people always think she's in her 30s. So I'm hoping that the same happens.