Weighing In

Options
So I have the problem of weighing myself everyday. It kind of keeps me in check. If I am staying and not going up it is good. I know weight can fluctuate and this is not the best thing I do, but I am addicted to the scale. Now I have some fat calipers which not many truly know how to use. So I have been trying to take them to class. Those are addicting too and fun to have, because since I have had my baby I have gone down so much in %.

It is funny because I watch my weight fall, but I refuse to log any loss until I weigh in, which is usually Fridays. So who out there weighs themselves every day and who logs every time there is a loss? Who has gotten rid of the scale because they are addicted to weighing? I would love to hear other scale problems and if you have done anything about it.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week and log whatever it says on that day.

I focus more on what I am doing-the behaviors that will lead to weight loss-than on the scale.

I also took measurements shortly after starting, but told myself I'd only remeasure once a month.

Since I don't want to be in the position of having to lose weight again, I'm more focused on building better habits, however long that takes.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am bad with weighing everyday. Sometimes it makes me feel good and makes me want to work harder when I do see the weight drop but it also keeps me in check when I see the weight go up.

This week has been tough. Last Thurs I weighed 183.4 (my lowest) Monday I was up two lbs, yesterday a lb and again today another lb.

How frustrating. I worked out real hard at the gym on Sunday and Monday and have been in line with my 1200 calorie diet and also drinking the water.

Why on earth would I gain 4 lbs. I keep getting on the scale hoping for a drop and instead I see a gain. I keep telling myself I am not stepping on the scale today but I cant help myself.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My story. I used to weigh myself everyday and it was a good check for me. I've been on this journey since October 2009 but in the last 6 months or so I started obsessing. I would weigh myself after every meal, sometimes twice in the evening and just really going crazy and my numbers were stagnant at best. It's not even like I was losing alot or gaining alot and then add in the measuring tape and it was chaos. So kinda for Lent but not exactly I decided I needed a break. I slid my scale under my bed, I ignore it at the gym and I haven't touched my measuring tape in two weeks. My birthday is 4 days after Easter this year so that's my weigh-in day after my scale hiatus. After that I think I'm going to pick one day a week and let that be my weigh-in/measuring day and let the numbers be what they are.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I weigh often, but only log if I am pretty sure it is valid . . . For example, I won't log after I work a night shift and have been awake for 36 hours, if it is TOM, or if I know I had a ton of sodium recently. I will log minor ups and downs though. Mentally I keep track Friday to Friday as my real check in day. Does that make any sense? It works for me.
  • virgdugas
    virgdugas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday too and I report every loss. At the beginning I was also report any gain but then I stopped :)

I found it helpful to have a direct link between what I had eaten the day before with my weight the morning after. It helps me gage my portion for example since I know right away that I've eaten too much the day before.

I know we are not supposted to weighing in more than once a week, but it's working for me.
  • wmubuffettfan
    wmubuffettfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every day (and log everyday). However, I only judge my weight loss in my head based on my Thursday Morning weigh in. I have tried weighing in only once a week in the past and it never worked for me, I would loose motivation during the week, and quickly fall off my plan. If I weigh every morning I never loose the motivation. If its up, I know it fluctuates and I use it as motivation to work hard that day. If its down, I am very happy and it motivates me to keep working hard.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily , but the mood swings if it was up or down drove me and my family mad , so now i keep my scale in the garage i weigh once a week Friday after the bathroom , before breakfast, wether its been a good week or bad! i don't let it get to me! i can feel the changes in my clothes! measure thenm in inches the scale no longer rules my life!
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    First thing I did when I jumped out of bed this morning....get on the scales! I am down 1.4 lb from Monday (I logged a gain on Mon). So, I REALLY wanted to log this as my new weight but I will wait until Monday...my official weigh day. I am on the scales more days than not, just curious to see what it says. My friend has her husband hide her scales so she's not tempted to get on everday! I think it's really whatever works best for you:smile:
  • amyd03
    amyd03 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I try not to weight at home. It is different than the one at the gym. There is like a three pound difference between the two. So I try to go by the gym since that is what they go by.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I weigh daily. I want to stop but I can't lol. I'm fine as long as it's trending DOWN.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    hello, my name is jennifer and im a scale-a-holic.

i weigh every morning. i log everything including gains every day. i like to know when i have lost and gained and what works for me. i also weigh in at night before bed. strange i know but i like to know how much water weight i carry at night. its usually about 3lbs of water since i drink so much water during the day.
  • Staryoung
    Options
    I don't have a scale at home, we have one at work. I get so pissed off when my weight doesn't change, or goes up a pound. so I think i'm going to weight myself every two weeks.
  • clar1984
    clar1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh in generally every morning, the scales are kept in my flatmates room, so the only times I don't are when he hasn't left the flat yet when I get up. I only allow myself to log the weight as lost after I've weighed it a few mornings in a row.

Trying to break the habit though :)
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    total scale addict here

I used to weigh myself everyday in the morning,sometimes twice a day. It got to be so out of hand to the point where I would get so upset if there was a higher number.

Now my fiancee steals the scale after I weigh in on Fridays and hides it until Thursday night so I can only weigh myself on Friday mornings. It's tough but I figure it's working because I'm focusing a little more on how my clothes are feeling!

this morning was bad, I even snooped around for it but couldn't find it and gave up after a couple minutes LOL
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Thanks guys-these were fun to read. My post was kind of rambling because I wake at 4:15 am and then I am just plain tired. Anyhow I am a fitness trainer in the industry and I know not to go off weight alone, and BMI is not the best indicator, but if you are really large it is a good indicator of where you are and a good goal. I do weight myself everyday also to keep myself in check. I want to make sure I am going in the right direction. I always weigh myself the same time of the day with the same amount of clothing on so there isn't a huge difference usually and if I start to creep back up I know I need to focus on my eating, because working out is so not my problem-haha. i am obsessed when it comes to working out.

It is great to go by how your clothes fit-that is one of the best indicators. Here I am 6 1/2 months post baby and I am just breaking into my pre-preggo box. Oh yeah it feels good. When ever I put the clothes on I know a few short months ago they wouldn't even have gotten past my thigh. Keep up the great work everyone!!