What to wear if you can't afford "workout" gear?

Options
Well, spring is in the air and that means getting outside and going for walks, doing as much of any other workout I can out there, and in general not being cooped up!

The problem I'm having is that the clothes that I have aren't designed to be workout gear... I have a good, new pair of shoes, but as far as tops and pants go, I just don't have the money to spend right now. Not a problem working out at home - get too gross, change or just go around in my sports bra. However, doing that while walking down the road in 38 - 40 degree weather isn't really an option!

What, if any of this, would be best for me to wear? Layering options?

I do have:
Long sleeved and short sleeved cotton shirts
1 fleece vest
Many many cotton hoodies
Cotton tanktops
1 pair of performance fabric capris that are too cool for me to wear just yet
1 pair of black cotton/spandex bootcut pants
1 pair of black leggings (slightly too big at this point!)

Replies

• rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific "work out" clothes, either -- I'm planning on splurging on a nice outfit when I run my 5K in May. I think what you have is pretty good. Do you have any sort of yoga pants or sweatpants? You could also wear your leggings underneath a pair of mesh or cotton shorts if you have any laying around. I'd say at this point, as long as your comfortable and the fabric is breathable and easy to move in, you should be just fine. :)
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't buy workout gear simply because I feel no need to look cute when I go to the gym..lol. I would wear whatever is comfortable and weather appropriate if I were you. When I'm walking out doors and it's cool, I throw on my yoga pants and a hoodie. The gym is usually yoga pants and a very big tshirt. Don't waste the money on work out clothes because you will just have to keep buying them as the pounds fall off!! Good luck on your journey!!:happy:
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    "Workout clothes" is just a label designed for marketing purposes. Wear whatever feels comfortable while working out!!!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Avoid putting any cotton on as a base layer... it absorbs sweat and stays wet! Use synthetics instead.
    Helpful hint: check out your local thrift store! They often have second-hand workout clothing for next to nothing! :smile:
  • DenisePacey
    DenisePacey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there, depending on what you are going to be doing you could try the Capri pants, once you start excercising you warm up very quickly, if you have a Decathalon Store nearby they sell good sportswear really cheap, under a £5 for tops, and you need a hoodie or something to stop you cooling down too quickly, not a fleece though, Good Luck : )
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, you should wear what is comfortable. However, if you are looking for cheap gear check out the army surplus store in your area. They have great stuff for all weather conditions at next to nothing.
  • momroe
    momroe Posts: 7
    Options
    Personally I don't think what you wear matters that much. Wear a loose pair of jeans if that's all you've got. There are so many things that are more important than your clothes. Like the fact that you're out there doing what you need to do to take care of yourself. Someone once told me that you shouldn't worry about what other people think unless they are paying your bills.

Another idea is to set a goal to loose X number of pounds and then treat yourself to one new workout set ( you might find something at good will or other second hand store that won't break your budget but will be a "reward" for your progress.)
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    It depends what activity you are doing. If you're walking then something that fits well (so you don't have to keep adjusting it) something with enough stretch to be comfortable and maybe minimum of seams to prevent chaffing. Things you can layer too are good so you can add or remove as you go. When you have the money then look for moisture wicking clothes that will keep you warm or cool and draw moisture away from the skin. Also shop around (ebay etc) till you get a good price. I'm in the UK and we have a store called Decathlon, they sell branded and non branded stuff, I'm never a slave to labels when it comes to working out because everything's getting washed and worn to death anyway.
  • dmvbnoslo
    dmvbnoslo Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do check out local thrift stores- you might find just what you need at a greatly reduced price! Workout gear is definitely way too expensive if you are buying it new...
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Personally I don't think what you wear matters that much. Wear a loose pair of jeans if that's all you've got. There are so many things that are more important than your clothes. Like the fact that you're out there doing what you need to do to take care of yourself. Someone once told me that you shouldn't worry about what other people think unless they are paying your bills.

Another idea is to set a goal to loose X number of pounds and then treat yourself to one new workout set ( you might find something at good will or other second hand store that won't break your budget but will be a "reward" for your progress.)

I'm not worried about what people driving by will think, I'm worried about things like chaffing and freezing halfway through because its less than 10 degrees above freezing and everything I'm wearing is soaking wet.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Avoid putting any cotton on as a base layer... it absorbs sweat and stays wet! Use synthetics instead.
    Helpful hint: check out your local thrift store! They often have second-hand workout clothing for next to nothing! :smile:
    Agree, and another hint, if they have it where you are: freecycle or Craigslist free section.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm never a slave to labels when it comes to working out because everything's getting washed and worn to death anyway.

So true!! When I (once!) wanted a pair of lululemon pants, my mom reminded me that I'd probably be too afraid to actually sweat in them. She was right! Instead of buying a $120 pair of pants, I went to walmart and bought a $15 pair instead. And they are my FAVOURITE ever... I've been wearing them for over two years!
  • tristahenry
    tristahenry Posts: 175
    Options
    Walmart, walmart, walmart. They have sweats for $3-$5. And a good splurge is swishy pants to stay dry (I don't know what they're really called but they swish when you walk). Remember when you're running in the cold like that to use as many thin layers as you can to stay warm and dry. I like the thrift store idea, I'm going to try that myself.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't have any fancy workout stuff. I have some cotton sweats and shorts from Champion that I picked up at Kohls last year on sale for under $10. I just picked up a pair of synthetic shirts (Russell Athletic brand) from a sporting goods store that were on sale for $9.99 each - what a deal! Very light and comfortable.

You don't need to spend a lot to get a couple of things that you'll use to work out, but with the tank tops and such that you have...those will work just fine for working out. The most important thing is that you are working out - not necessarily what you are wearing.
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, you can check out places like Marshall's and Kohl's or Target. Marshall's sells "brand name" stuff for cheaper. Also, Columbia Sportswear Outlet is awesome (I dunno where you're located so I couldn't tell you if there's one near you). I work at one and the deals are spectacular. If you feel like you need something more "performance-based" you can check them out... they also have an outlet section online. And I'm not just trying to sell you stuff, lol -- I've used Columbia gear long before I worked there and I love it and use it now too. :)