WEIGHT GAIN?!

Options
Hi all!

So, since joining MFP I've been slowly losing weight for a total of 10 lbs. For exercise I was walking (and some jogging) just around the neighborhood 2 or 3 times a week. Four days ago, I started the 30 day shred video and have done it every morning. I have gained 2 lbs in those 4 days! What?! I have been eating my 1200 calories and most of my exercise calories. On a side note, my muscles are KILLING me! I am so sore I can barely move, lol! Is this common to gain some weight so quickly with a new work out?? Any guidance would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is more than likely fluid weight in your muscles, when you start using the muscles they need to hold on to fluid, for repair and to fuel the next work out. Do not sweat this gain, it actually shows that you are doing it right.
  • jamiehobson
    Options
    Read this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128737-temporary-weight-gain-explained

It explains it pretty thoroughly.
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    The weight gain is more than likely fluid weight in your muscles, when you start using the muscles they need to hold on to fluid, for repair and to fuel the next work out. Do not sweat this gain, it actually shows that you are doing it right.
    wut she sed. lol.
  • skinnymama157
    Options
    This does make a lot of sense. Now I'm not as worried! I knew that muscle weighs more than fat but I didn't expect a change so fast. Thanks for the info!
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    Instead of just going by the scale you might want to take your body measurements. My first week of cardio and strict diet I lost 7 lbs. After 8 days of added strength training to my work out I had gained 2 lbs. I had taken my initial measurements when I started at the gym two weeks ago. Today was my second time measuring and I have actually lost 2 inches from my waist, 1/2 inch from my thighs, 1/2 inch from my hips and 1/2 inch from my chest.

It really cheered me up when I saw the measurement loss!
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This does make a lot of sense. Now I'm not as worried! I knew that muscle weighs more than fat but I didn't expect a change so fast. Thanks for the info!

you haven't gained muscle in 4 days.. what the other poster was saying, i think, is that when you start a new exercise program your muscles retain more water while you get used to it. this isn't muscle gain, and you will drop this (as it is just extra water weight) as your body gets used to the new exercise regime