Starvation mode

Happy3Mommy
Happy3Mommy Posts: 26
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
So my calories were way under today and yesterday, this site is telling me I’m in starvation mode. What should I do? My body doesn’t act like it’s in starvation mode. I eat between 1100 and 1400 calories a day but the last 2 day my calories were around 1100.

Replies

• Ignore it...my trainer has had me on 1000-1200 for a year now...I don't always listen, but my doc is okay with it and it has worked well for me!! Good luck!
  • its okay to eat under the calorie intake every once in a while, but i wouldnt make a habit of it because it can slow down your metabolism. :]
  • carleighsmama
    carleighsmama Posts: 29 Member
    1,100 shouldn't even be "starvation mode". Especially since most goals are 1,200 calories per day. I can understand if that notification pops up if you only ate 900 calories though.
  • Don't worry about it. MFP automatically tells you your body is AT RISK of starvation mode (not actually IN starvation mode) if you go under 1200 calories - even if you're at 1199. Starvation mode cannot happen over a couple of days, it's a complex process that can only occur if someone is consistently eating a very low calorie diet over an extended period of time. If you average 1100-1400 calories and you're not hungry, you should be ok!
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    I apparently never eat on my MPF food profile but it's total bull. I have lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks and I eat all the time. The things I generally eat are low in calories. So it is really hard for me to eat what the site tells me to eat which for today is 2600 calories. I couldn't if i tried unless I ate super bad food which I do not want to do.
  • I received a message from another mfp'er who is a personal trainer. They stated "your body doesn't go into starvation mode unless you are eating under 1200 calories a day for more then three days in a row and are exercising like a maniac" I follow this rule to heart. Every day I eat about 1200 calories (trying to stay as close as possible) and I exercise burning about 300 a day. Then every 3 or 4th day I eat about 1400 to boost my metabolism. It has worked well for me.
  • I received a message from another mfp'er who is a personal trainer. They stated "your body doesn't go into starvation mode unless you are eating under 1200 calories a day for more then three days in a row and are exercising like a maniac" I follow this rule to heart. Every day I eat about 1200 calories (trying to stay as close as possible) and I exercise burning about 300 a day. Then every 3 or 4th day I eat about 1400 to boost my metabolism. It has worked well for me.

Im going to try this out and see if it works for me! Question though-- do you eat 1200 cal + burn 300 day? Giving you a New cal of 900? Then every 3-4 days eat 1400- burn 300, a net of 1100 cal?
  • CindyWard4u
    CindyWard4u Posts: 40 Member
    the whole deficit thing varies from person to person...your weight is a factor when calculating calories needed for safe and effective weight loss. 1200 is a general # and everyone will probably need to adjust it. If you are working out regularly and depending on calorie burn during your workout you may really need more calories on avg than 1200.
    In my experience when I was 207 lbs...I began walking 10k steps per day...and eating 1500 calories per day...as healthy as I could muster at the time....I lost an avg of 10 lbs per month for 3 months! When I hired my PT she increased my cals to 1700 per day because I had plateaued with my weightloss and I was increasing my exercise activity to actual weight lifting and cardio. My body immediately began to drop lbs again! 3 months later I was 20 lbs down...so 50 lbs total lost and I was eating an avg of 1600 calories per day!
    Maybe if I wasn't as heavy this wouldn't have worked? But I advise my clients to usually increase their calories "if" they are working out regularly...it has never failed to provide them with results. :)
  • Well I'm exercising MODERATELY - not consistent by any means though. I'm 179 and eating between 900-1200 cal per day. Once a week I go over, usually around 1700 cal that one day. Should I keep cal intake the same & increase activity? Or both?
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    I apparently never eat on my MPF food profile but it's total bull. I have lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks and I eat all the time. The things I generally eat are low in calories. So it is really hard for me to eat what the site tells me to eat which for today is 2600 calories. I couldn't if i tried unless I ate super bad food which I do not want to do.

a low cal diet that results in 12 lbs lost in 2 weeks is the definition of putting your body into starvation mode.

I can eat 2400 calories a day with nothing but healthy food everyday no problem. Finding calorie dense healthy food isn`t that hard.
  • I am usually under my calories goal of 1200 and with the exercise I am really under (eat appx. a little over 1000 calories a day). So today I decided to push myself to eat over my normal intake and give my body a break from the heavy exercising. Everyone I have spoken with says your body needs rest to regroup and get used to the change. Good Luck.
  • kevanos
    Well I'm exercising MODERATELY - not consistent by any means though. I'm 179 and eating between 900-1200 cal per day. Once a week I go over, usually around 1700 cal that one day. Should I keep cal intake the same & increase activity? Or both?

If you exercise 3-5 times a week and only eat about 1000 calories per day I think you are undereating. You target should be closer to1400 calories per day.

Creating such a large deficit for soemone your size by only averaging 1000 calories per day will cause you to lose muscle mass, have decreased energy, reduce your metabolism etc...
  • Do you know if there are any diet plans on here that will help me stick to a proper eating schedule? If its that I'm UNDER eating, I really don't know WHERE to stick extra calories in. I'm never very hungry and eat VERY light (Oatmeal coffee brkfst, Soup lunch, and a reg dinner, AND a dessert (bc I save a few cal for after dinner) . I weigh 179lbs... HOW can that be Under eating? :(
  • kevanos
    Do you know if there are any diet plans on here that will help me stick to a proper eating schedule? If its that I'm UNDER eating, I really don't know WHERE to stick extra calories in. I'm never very hungry and eat VERY light (Oatmeal coffee brkfst, Soup lunch, and a reg dinner, AND a dessert (bc I save a few cal for after dinner) . I weigh 179lbs... HOW can that be Under eating? :(

It all about the number of calories.

You seem to eat 3 (4 with desert) time per day. I`ll assume 1400 cals is a good daily caloric intake for you. Then you need to eat tree 400 calorie meals and a 200 calorie desert. Your oatmeal breakfast is probably under 400 cals and your soup is very likely low cal too. Try to have protein for lunch instead of just soup, a good hearthy sandwich with a bean salad or pasta and chicken.

If you aren`t used to 400 calorie meals for breakfast and luch, add in snacks, eatign 5 times a day is a good to regulate exactly how much you eat.

breakfast: 300 calories
    snack1: 150 calories
    lunch: 300 calories
    snack2: 150 calories
    supper: 300 calories
    desert: 200 calories

adds up to 1400

snacks could a be healthy granola bar, a fruit, yoghurt, nuts etc

eathing that regularly also curbs your hunger so that at meal time the smaller portions are enough to fill you up.
  • Do you know if there are any diet plans on here that will help me stick to a proper eating schedule? If its that I'm UNDER eating, I really don't know WHERE to stick extra calories in. I'm never very hungry and eat VERY light (Oatmeal coffee brkfst, Soup lunch, and a reg dinner, AND a dessert (bc I save a few cal for after dinner) . I weigh 179lbs... HOW can that be Under eating? :(

It all about the number of calories.

You seem to eat 3 (4 with desert) time per day. I`ll assume 1400 cals is a good daily caloric intake for you. Then you need to eat tree 400 calorie meals and a 200 calorie desert. Your oatmeal breakfast is probably under 400 cals and your soup is very likely low cal too. Try to have protein for lunch instead of just soup, a good hearthy sandwich with a bean salad or pasta and chicken.

If you aren`t used to 400 calorie meals for breakfast and luch, add in snacks, eatign 5 times a day is a good to regulate exactly how much you eat.

breakfast: 300 calories
    snack1: 150 calories
    lunch: 300 calories
    snack2: 150 calories
    supper: 300 calories
    desert: 200 calories

adds up to 1400

snacks could a be healthy granola bar, a fruit, yoghurt, nuts etc

eathing that regularly also curbs your hunger so that at meal time the smaller portions are enough to fill you up.

Thank you VERY much. I am going to start this out and see how it goes! :) Keep you posted!
This discussion has been closed.