Need Advice: Down 2 pant sizes but no weight loss

Options
Hello. I've been on this website for about a month now and working out (for 6 weeks) hard 5 days a week which includes 30 - 40 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. I have gone down almost two pant sizes however am only showing a 4 LBS weight loss. Can someone explain how this is possible? I don't have a working thyroid and am on new thyroid meds so my metabolism sucks.

My endrocinologist told me that I should only be eating 800 calories a day but I'm not following his guidance because I feel that puts my body into starvation mode. I'm eating anywhere between 1200 - 1400 calories a day.

Any advice on how I can be down two pant sizes and only 4 LBS is appreciated!

Tracy

Replies

• Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The reason for the minimal weight loss is because you are building muscle and this is heavier than fat. Ultimately if you work out a lot, you will definately slim down but will get heavier in the long term because of the muscle that you build.

Well done on going down two pants sizes though. A lot of people think that the way your clothes fit is a better indicator of weight loss anyway.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat. So all your working out is converting fat to muscle, meaning you're more compact but not losing as much scale-wise.
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    Inches and pant sizes are amazing! I'm surprised the Doc didn't think so! If your working out it very well could be muscle taking the place of fat couldn't it?
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think you would rather be losing inches than pounds because that shows real weight loss. When people show a drop in the scale but not in inches that sometimes means they're losing muscle... I would be pretty excited about losing 2 pant sizes! For me that would mean much more than what a lousy scale says!
  • woodsk1
    woodsk1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thansk for the responses-- I am experiencing the same thing.
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This is interesting.. I feel the same way. I have only lost 5 lbs but I feel that my pants are fitting again. But then again only 5 lbs makes me wonder.
  • SecretAgentSpam
    Options
    You are not losing pounds because you are losing fat and gaining muscle! Muscle is much more dense than fat, therefore it weighs more. It is not uncommon for people to actually gain weight when they start exercising. Pay attention to the inches! The pounds mean nothing. I have also only lost about 5 pounds, however I have lost many inches. I feel better and I look better! It's not about the number. It's a very misleading measurement. The fact that you have shaved off 2 pant sizes in fat is awesome! You are now much more fit, too.

Keep up the good work!!
  • standarddancinggirl
    standarddancinggirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey Tracy,
    Well if you are working out that often you are probably building up a lot of muscleton and slimming down on fat. Which would drop your waist line but not your weight because muscle weights more than fat.
  • ABFreeman
    Options
    Hi, I'm not an expert, & don't know much, but it seems like you're losing inches, toning and gaining muscle (which weighs more than fat). If you're really concerned with your numbers, you may want to get a "fat loss monitor" it measures your BMI and the percentage of fat you've lost. I had a trainer a while ago and when I weighed-in one day, I didn't lose any weight, but was working very hard & being discipline. Well, when she measured my fat, I had lost 2.5% of body fat & gained muscle...she was very excited with my results.

If I were you, I wouldn't get discouraged, just keep at it.

Wish you continued success

April
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My opinion? Who cares about the stupid scale - you're down 2 pants sizes!!!!!!!!! Celebrate!! Measurements are the best way to tell your success anyway. I'm sure the scale will catch up eventually. Sounds like you're doing this the healthy way, and you're seeing results. Maybe you should toss out the scale and just take measurements instead. Congrats!!!
  • FreeToBeMeIn2014
    FreeToBeMeIn2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I did not loose one ounce from Jan 19th until last week. I also have gone down 2 pant sizes. I was assured that I was loosing "fat" but gaining muscle. I have been going to the gym 5 days a week since before Christmas. Last week I finally lost 1.8 pounds. As long as you are loosing those inches, you are doing something right. Keep up the good work. Please don't get discouraged and give up. It will eventually show on the scales. (That is what I have been told. LOL)

ps Do NOT eat less that 1200 calories!!! You are right when you say your body will be in starvation mode!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well done on going down two pants sizes though. A lot of people think that the way your clothes fit is a better indicator of weight loss anyway.

I completely agree with this statement! I'm sure it is frustrating not seeing that number change but you know that you are losing weight by going down 2 pants sizes. That's amazing! Muscle is more dense than fat so you can reduce the fat, build muscle, weigh the same, but become smaller.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I, too, am on thyroid meds... mine is nonfunctional, as well. Totally sucks. I am also stuck on the scale and workout 5-7 days a week with cardio and strength training and have lost inches. I'm much happier with inches than lbs. You'll notice your body changing and getting definition, etc which should be much more gratifying than the scale, BUT!... I get disappointed when the scale isn't showing me a smaller number. I think it's just a psychological thing, but in the next few weeks, the scale will catch up to the inches. We'll step on the scale one day and it'll be 10lbs lighter or something ridiculous! YOU CAN COUNT ON IT! Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. : / KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! YOU'RE DOING GREAT! CELEBRATE YOUR 2 SIZES SMALLER! WOULD YOU RATHER WEIGH LESS, BUT BE IN THE SAME SIZE PANTS YOU STARTED OUT IN? : )
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I would be super excited if I dropped 2 pant sizes, can't realy rely on the scale as like everyone else is saying you are gaining muscle!! keep up the good work!!!!
  • tracyklamo
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice and words of encouragement!!!! I'm going to stop looking at the scale and throw it away since it does more harm than good =)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    When strength training you can't rely on the scale. Muscle is much denser than fat. You are losing fat but most likely keeping your muscle mass intact (dieting and cardio exercise cause muscle mass loss. Why strength/resistance training is so important).

And I'm glad you upped your calories. Medical schools don't focus on nutrition and 800 is way too low although maybe a bad thyroid might have something to do with it. If you are strength training you will need more calories.

Don't put too much into the scale. It doesn't tell the whole story.
  • Mo120
    Mo120 Posts: 20
    Options
    First of all, you should look for another doctor because 800 calories is just not enough!

And second, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been on myfitnesspal for a month, I workout 7 days a week (Home workout DVD's which include cardio and strenght training), and I only lost 5 pounds, but shrinked considerably! My jeans are loose, I don't have a double chin anymore. I clearly noticed that I lost a lot of weight, but the scale is not catching up with me yet because I built a lot of muscle mass, which takes less space but is the same weight. That's why your body looks tighter.

So give your body some time to catch up, and please, feed your body! Don't go under 1200 calories per day :-) xox
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Did you take your measurements before you started working out? You have obviously lost inches but have you check your body fat % to see if its gone down? I was stuck at the same wt for 6 weeks. When I checked my body fat is was down 2% and I had lost inches. I asked around at my gym and was told by trainers that Im currently replacing fat for muscle, muscle being denser/ smaller so once I break through my plateau then I'll start loosing the lbs again.

1lb of fat = 1 lb of muscle The difference is the density. Fat being the size of an orange and muscle being the size of a lemon.

The next week I had lost 1 lb. Don't get discouraged we all have been there. You are seeing positive changes, gaining muscle and doing good by your body. Keep up the good work and it will pay off.

Switch your cardio up. Try running, rowing, biking, zumba or kick boxing. Making changes will help. You are doing a good job.
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    2 pant sizes!! thats amazing!!!
    i'm down 20lbs and still not quite down full size...

Dont panic, instead of being full of fat youre now all full of muscle. I bet you look amazing in your new (TWO sizes smaller) pants!! yay you! keep up the great work and don't worry too much about the scale if you're liking your new pants and new muscles. Otherwise try making your workouts more cardio and less strength training.
  • spayne_4
    spayne_4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    At ome time I read a post with a link about a woman talking about losing inches but not pounds. She kept at her weight but began fitting in size 10's, 8's, 6', and was almost into a size 4 pants at the same weight. She even had pictures to go along with it. She wanted people to not be discouraged because it happened. I wish I could find the post or link to that article on here. I know the link was to livestrong but that is about it. I haven't been able to find it again. It was really helpful especially since I felt my clothes looser but no budge or sometimes an increase on the scale. Keep it up beause it sounds like you are going on the right track. Also do eat 1200-1400 instead of what you were told. You don't want to go into starvation mode! :O) Good work!