Home Elliptical Machines

Options
I'm thinking of cancelling my gym membership and just buying an elliptical for my house. The nice ones with really long strides are so expensive though! Has anyone found a good home machine under $1000 they can recommend? I'm also nervous about cancelling the membership and getting lazy but my gym is about 30 min from my house and it's just cutting into my "being at home after work" time. I leave for work when it's pitch black out and get home when it's pitch black again if I work out after work. No sunshine for me :(

What do you think?

Replies

• nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    I have a Soul from ****'s Sporting Goods! Love it for extra cardio in the evening =) I have team training 2x and 3 group classes at our local Y....GOOD LUCK with your decision
  • JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can find some really good ones on Craigslist.com. I've been considering getting one. I've found a few that retail around $2000 for $300-500 on craigslist. People buy them then don't use them so they sell them for cheap to get the space back at their house.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I also have a Sole - E35 - and I love it. I had gotten a less expensive one before, and I got what I paid for. It was not built to take the activity that I gave it. This one seems very durable, so it was worth the investment.
  • lucky01day
    lucky01day Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those gazelles and I love it! I still use the gym in my apt complex once or twice a week, but I use my gazelle EVERY morning... it's easier because it's conveinent so I don't have to waste my time getting ready to walk out the door or drive somewhere and I can just do it anytime i have a spare few minutes...
  • moakley
    moakley Posts: 7
    Options
    I ended up buying one from Sear's and I have gotten a lot of use out of it. I can't remember, but I think I only spent between $300 and $400 for it. The only thing is the built in little fan broke, but I just put a floor fan on anyway and it seems to work better. It keeps track of paces, calories, carbs, and time with different programs and resistances. I use it every day and I would recommend it. Hope that helps.
  • cmsdives
    cmsdives Posts: 71
    Options
    I am having a similar struggle, especially with gas prices out of control! In order to go to the gym after work, I have to go home to let my dogs out at lunch and that adds about another $100+/month to my already out-of-control gas budget. I have a Total Gym, stationary bike and Wii at home, but am also worried about falling back into bad habits and getting lazy. If you like, we can team up and hold each other accountable. On Sundays we could let each other know our w/o plan for the week and then make sure that plan is stuck to....maybe having that accountability will help both of us.

:flowerforyou:
    Carla
  • chinawolfseyes24
    Options
    It's not easy being strict with yourself at home, especially if you haven't got it down yet. Plus $1000 is like 4-5yrs at a gym and they have different kinds of machines and weights :/ Perhaps going to the gym before work is more realistic? My fiancee wakes up at 4:30-45 everyday to go to the gym by his job an hour away. It's hard work but, at least he gets to come straight home after work now. He used to go after work but, he had the same issue as you. Since he started waking up to go early he feels more energized in general and at work :)
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    We bought the Proform Ergostrider from WalMart for less than $300. It has held up fairly well, it does squeak a little now. I'd suggest going the cheaper route to make sure you like it and will stick with it, don't want an overpriced clothes rack. We use ours everyday and we've had it about 8 months. I know It won't hold up more than a couple years so when we replace it we'll probably get a more durable model.
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you can find it in your budget, please buy a higher-end one. I had a ProForm XP from Sears for LESS than 3yrs before the leg sheared right off during a workout! (My friends all blamed me- said I wasn't 'using' it correctly. It wasn't holding ironing or whatnot, but actually being USED!) I thought it was a good machine, but it was obviously poorly constructed...
    The replacement we bought is a LiveStrong 13.0 and it is flipping amazing! Heaviest flywheel for an at-home machine, auto incline and resistance, *soooooo* many programs PLUS it comes with a memory stick so you can download MORE from the website! I've had it since October and have put many many many hours on it already- LOVE IT!!!!!

Biggest piece of advice- do NOT buy one without getting on it! The strides, widths, etc vary so much from machine to machine and brand to brand. I had my heart set on a Sole (we have a Sole treadmill and it's fantastic) but it felt weird when I got on it. Go to your local sporting goods store (bought both of our wonderful machines at D-I-C-K-S) and try them all out first! I never imagined paying what we did (I think $1300?), but wouldn't change it for the world! If your machine isn't compatible with your body type, you won't use it.
    Hope this helps- and happy shopping!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I have a Vision Fitness X30 Deluxe. I love it. (You can swap out the computer consoles and save some money by opting for the lower end computer)

What ever you plan to get do your Googling (research) and find out about it. Make sure you get one with a good stride length 18 to 20 inches is what I read was good. This will be better on your legs and joints.

Test ride whatever you get. Go and get on the 'best' machines, once you do you will be able to tell the difference in the ride of the 'budget' models and know what you DON'T want.

Get the best one you can possibly afford. Don't throw your money away on something cheap. But remember high price doesn't mean high quality. :wink:

Here's a quote I heard from Zig Ziglar long ago (it may not be his but):

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and those people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey"

ZH
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the idea of looking on craigslist. That's how I got mine...a NordicTrak Auto Strider 990. It retails for about $1200, and I got mine for $250 :D People are always buying them and then realizing they don't use them at all. Just troll around for a few weeks, a good one is bound to pop up :D It took me about 3 months to find mine, but I was VERY specific about what I wanted. I wanted this EXACT machine, and eventually someone was selling it :D
  • jessiseling
    Options
    You guys are really convincing me so I think this weekend I might have to take a trip to Sears. I really appreciate all your input and have definitely been scouting craigslist, I just always seem to be too slow for the good deals. Sears has layaway on their equipment so that is helpful.
    There were some good points about being dedicated to working out at home every day but I find myself making excuses for not driving all the way to the gym after work too for stupid reasons - want to cook dinner or do laundry, stuff I'll be too tired for or not have enought ime for if I "waste" that 2 hours driving and working out instead. Plus there's the gas prices! I think I can really make myself do a 45 min stretch every day after work especially with my boyfriend bullying me into. He's been so helpful with this whole journey.
    Thanks again guys and I will post what I decide on buying/not buying next week hopefully!
    :D