what should i eat before bed?

Options
It is 9:02 pm. I have to eat 260 more calories. (or atleast close to it) I excersized alot today so i need to eat these calories.. what should i eat? I dont rele have alot. I have eggs and bread and apples.. theres barely any food in my house this week! Is it bad to make an egg sammy at 9pm at night (the bread)?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of articles that have debunked the myth that eating before bed causes fat storage and weight gain. I personally wouldn't eat anything with a lot of sugar it in because that might cause issues with sleeping when you want to, but something with protein would be fine. Eggs would be great, IMHO.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Can you eat some peanut butter with the apple? Or, omelette?
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my standard is a protein hake - all the amino acids and protein keep metabolism a little higher and prevent the body from catabolization or feeding off of muscle tissue.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all. That's a myth. In fact, eating slow releasing protein before bed is a great idea, such as cottage cheese (or some other form of dairy). As your body rests and repairs itself while sleeping, the protein is excellent to help build muscle.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from carbohydrates, lean more towards the eggs.
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    I've always heard not to eat past 7:30 - 8:00. I usually have calories left over on most days, but I am not gonna eat if I am not hungry.

Good luck on your goals.
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    id slice the apple up and eat it. or if you have any yogurt, just eat that.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with water or with skim milk. I have some homemade protein bars that would be perfect. You can look up some recipes on line.

Also, I agree with bbygrl. Cottage cheese is supposedly slow release protein or something. A lot of super low fat body builders eat it immediately before bed so as to not lose too much muscle mass while sleeping.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree with bbygrl. Cottage cheese is supposedly slow release protein or something. A lot of super low fat body builders eat it immediately before bed so as to not lose too much muscle mass while sleeping.

Cottage cheese has a higher concentration of Casein protein, which is digested much more slowly into the bloodstream. Some studies have purported that it releases amino acids to your muscles for up to 7 hours, which will help your muscles repair from your workouts and keep your metabolism elevated longer, so you burn more calories while you sleep.

Casein is also available as a protein powder- I have 1 scoop with a tablespoon of peanut butter right before bed.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/best-and-worst-late-night-snacks

I just read this - I don't really eat any of the foods they mention though
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Cottage cheese has a higher concentration of Casein protein, which is digested much more slowly into the bloodstream. Some studies have purported that it releases amino acids to your muscles for up to 7 hours, which will help your muscles repair from your workouts and keep your metabolism elevated longer, so you burn more calories while you sleep.

Casein is also available as a protein powder- I have 1 scoop with a tablespoon of peanut butter right before bed.

Funny you say that. My pre bed time snack last night was 200g cottage cheese, scoop casein powder (choc/vanilla mmmmm...) and a tbspn natural peanut butter.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    whey protein shake would be great, yea some hard bolied eggs, even cottage cheese!
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    ditto on the cottage cheese. a little stevia and side of natural peanut butter =)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    So what did you end up eating? I'm dying to find out!
  • bayabaya
    bayabaya Posts: 52
    Options
    Update: Hey guys thanks for all the answers. i ended up eating the 2 egg whites on a 100% whole wheat flat bread with a dash oh hot sauce. I woke up this morning weighing .5 lbs less. SUCCESS! thanks everybody! :)