inches vs. weight loss......

Options
Ok...So I am doing JM 30 day shred for the month of March........I finished level one with 5 inches lost but no weight......
Just finished level 2 with another 5 inches lost.....but again no weight lost!!!! The inches have been like a couple of inchs in both arms...1 inch in the chest, an inch off the waist and several off my thights and a couple off my calves........

But with the scales not moving.....I get upset!!

What's the difference between inches lost and weight lost? Is one better than the other? Just need a little help understanding!!!

Any help will be great!!!
thanks a head of time!!!!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Inches are better. If you lose inches but not weight, you're likely losing fat and building some muscle (provided that you're not retaining a lot of water weight from high sodium). But conversely, if you lose weight and not inches, you're probably losing muscle mass, which isn't good. Inches are definitely better. :)
  • Pawsntails
    Pawsntails Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It could be that your dropping fat and gaining muscle which us a good thing. A lb of fat is larger then a lb of muscle which would explain the sale staying the same but the measurements going down so just keep up the good work. plus the extra muscle will help you burn more calories so you should get a drop on the scale in the end also
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I drink nothing but water....and a lot of it!!!

some days the soduim is high...and other days not so much!!! So, I don't think it is water....

I have noticed that my arms are taking shape...and I can feel the muscle!!!

So, if the muscle is taking over where the fat is...then at some point the scale will start to move again?
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It will DEFINITELY move again. It has no other option. One day, you will step on the scale and it'll be 5lbs less or something crazy. The scale has no other choice, but to catch up. Being that your body is in the first phase of transitioning, it just takes a little bit to catch up. My scale is stuck, as well, but my body is totally taking shape! I'd rather have inches lost and smaller pants than the scale being in my favor, but the same size pants. LOL! KEEP IT UP! Try not to get discouraged and stick with it! It'll all come together in time!
  • caradon
    caradon Posts: 14
    Options
    I know what you mean about getting frustrated with the scale. The good thing about inches though, is that it also is obvious because your body looks different, and better. Also, your clothes fit better. Hang in there!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    inches lost means your body is changing inside. The fat to muscle ratio is changing and its far better than a low weight high fat body composition in my opinion. It also means you burn more at rest.

Keep up the great work. I didn't lost a lot of weight doing 30 Day Shred for a month but I did lose some inches just doing it 3 days a week(as a strength workout).
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Every time I have lost weight before I have gained it back and then some, primarily because I would get frustrated when I'd stop losing, then I'd just give up. Now I rarely weigh myself and just judge by inches and just how I feel.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I'd Take inches over pounds any day....Kick the scale and just finish the program.It's how u feel and look in the mirror:)Don't depend on the scale to make u feel good about u!
  • CharHill4
    Options
    Angie I feel ya! I'm in the same boat too! I've seen the scale say I lost 10 pounds, but I haven't moved any further past that. Then the next day I measure and it shows 4 inches off hips and waist, but the scale shows I've gained instead of lost. So I'm just gonna do my thing, measure and weigh every 2 weeks, and to stop stressing over every thing. The more stress,,,,the more weight gain. So I've stopped all that and just started having fun with my exercises. Good Luck with the rest of your journey!
  • dalscruf
    dalscruf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Inches are definitely better! You have to build muscle first before you start burning fat so keep up the good work and the number on the scale will eventually start to drop. Look on the bright side, at least you're not gaining weight :) Just be positive and stay focused!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!

It's hard when you are so use to hearing about weight...and how much you weigh........

I am going to try to not focus on the number!!