sugar detox

Options
:ohwell: has anyone every sugar detoxed:- I feel like sugar is my worst enemy - I love sweets. when I start my retirement May 1st I was thinking of trying to get the sugar from my system - I want to wait until I am home because I think it will definitely be hard and also am afraid it may make me grumpy and probably a head ache . any suggestions on how to start or how to make it as easy as possible will be appreciated

Replies

• ingy1990
    ingy1990 Posts: 22
    Options
    SUGAR!!!! Sugar is my best friend. It is really hard to kick the habit. I'm not quite a week new to MFP. Calorie counting is new to me. I also need help. It's like a drug addict, you can't wait to get your next fix of SUGAR!!! I have to talk to myself all day everyday to not pick up something sugary. Some days it is easier then others. I'm hoping this will help. It is a wake up call when you look at labels!! Good luck, and maybe there is someone out there that can help us!! You are not alone!
  • JeanMargaret
    Options
    I started removing sugar, just today. I'm trying to remain as optimistic as possible and I believe that God will sustain me. We deserve more than the crappy effects that sugar has on our bodies. Whenever you decide to do it, just refuse to do otherwise. You can & you will. *go for it*

Jean
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hi there. If by sugar detox you are planning on cutting out sweets, including sugar-filled drinks, I think that's a good idea and very doable. However, keep in mind that things like fruits which are good for you, have natural sugars as well. I think the first thing you should start doing is reading labels. You'll be amazed to see how much sugar is in just about every kind of food. When I started with MFP almost 6 months ago, one of the conscious decisions I made was to cut out all the sweet drinks (pepsi was my addiction) and replace it with mostly water. It has made a tremendous difference in the way I feel. About a month ago I had a taste of pepsi and it was just aweful! Needless to say, I don't miss it. I tend to look for sugar free or lower sugar snacks, but that isn't always the case. Everything in moderation. Anyway, I applaud your efforts to make positive changes.

Keep in mind that if you are truly a sugar craver, if you make yourself totally cut out sugar, I believe you'll start feeling deprived and that will make you want it more. Again, everything in moderation. If you count calories (and fiber, sugars, etc), I think you will notice that it is OK every once in a while to have a sugar treat.
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    thanks for your information - I have not drank any sugary drinks for about 10 yrs - but look all the pastories/cookies/etc.
    that is what I want to stop eating- I share a home with to of my sons - one does diet all the time and exercise- but he also
    bakes cakes ugg! the other one does eat pretty much anything he wants which includes sweets and therefore it is hard not
    to have it around the house.
    the reason I am doing it after retirement is so I can stay busy and not come home stressed from my job and dive into the sweets to make my self feel good lol so I use that as an excuse . if you are a praying lady - please include me on your list of concerns
  • sturgill
    Options
    thanks - good luck - with your journey to no sugar or less sugar-
    I know it won't be easy but if I can get it out of my system - maybe it will
    be easier to resist.

keep me posted and I will let you know how I do after May
  • sturgill
    Options
    you sound just like me lol . I know I will not every have a life when I don't indulge in sweets but would like to make it the rare treat no the every day occurrence