MFP -vs- Weight Watcher's points

Options
I am currently a WW member and was thinking of switching to MFP. Has anyone made this leap? I am comparing the 2 programs and was interested in any feedback you could provide.

Thanks
Maria

Replies

• vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    Options
    I still have my WW account (paid for 3 months) and am using MFP. I SERIOUSLY enjoy MFP more. There are things I eat that are listed on here that are not listed in the WW site, I had difficulties using the app for my cell phone for WW too. The MFP app is so easy to use and keep track of both exercise and what I take in. I also dont like the new pts system the instituted on WW, I only got one week of the old pts system and on it I lost 2lbs after they changed it I barely lost 1!
  • akilianamalia
    akilianamalia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just left Weight Watchers for MFP. I like MFP much better. Half because MFP has a droid app and WW didn't, but also because I like knowing if I'm getting enough fiber, protein, etc. I am also trying to eat less carbs, so knowing what I am eating of that each day is helpful too.

But, some people do WW because they like the moral support at the meetings. I didn't get a lot from that, so it was easy to switch over to the FREE MFP :)
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I was comparing the two programs, my points (w/ the flex system) were almost on target what my range for MFP was. However, I found it was easier to search and log food on here than in a journal or on the WW tools site.

I am interested in what others think too. I moved a year ago and haven't gone back to WW but was contemplating it with the new points program.
  • KaylaTighe
    Options
    I do both and I'm happy to do both! If I hit my calories then I stop, if I hit my points then I stop. It works for me and both communities are HUGELY supportive :) If you need any WW support my user name is KaylaTighe!!! :)
  • octoberschilde
    Options
    I am a veteran WW member. Lost 26 pounds the first time. I just joined again late last year and find I don't like the new points system. I didn't seem to be losing the weight like I did before. Then I happened upon MFP a few weeks ago and I really enjoy it. I love seeing all the nutrients that I need/get. Also, I like being in control of how many calories I want to eat a day. It also doesn't limit my food choices as much. And most importantly, I love reading the community boards and blogs! So I left WW.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I made the switch & really like MFP.
    It's similar in so many ways....and it's free!
    I learned a lot from ww & lost 35lbs, but then kind of stalled out once I got down to the last remaining 10lbs.
    I look back now & it's no wonder. WW never taught me to pay attention to things like my sugar & sodium intake.
    It only looks at calories, fat & fiber (now the new program looks at carbs, fiber & protein).
    I was eating a large can of soup every single day for lunch because it only had 1-3 ww points...but MFP has made me notice that 1 can of soup alone is half of my sodium intake for the whole day. Too much salt=BLOAT.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend was on Weight Watchers for about a year. My mom was also on Weight Watchers and lost around 60 lbs.

I have never tried WW but I have been around it quite a bit so I feel like I have at least a decent feeling for it.

The thing that I love about MFP as compared to WW is that it is MUCH easier to actually SEE what is in everything you are eating. WW not only collapses all of the nutritional information down into a single number, in doing so they create a dependence on their product. As a person who likes to educate himself I love that I can know everything that I am eating and can do some of my OWN research to figure out what is the best way to spend my calories. Sure, I can eat half a pizza and be at my daily calorie intake or I can spread out my meals and make sure I am eating a well balanced diet.

I can definitely understand the appeal of WW. It makes things pretty easy and for a lot of people that is the real kicker. For me, I like to have a little more information than "this food is 1 point" or "that food is 3 points."

Either way, both are good and effective products. MFP IS free of course, which is definitely a big draw. I would just recommend that you do a little research on your own and see which one you think would best fit your lifestyle. Maybe even try both at the same time. Who knows!
  • Maria504
    Maria504 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all. I am having a hard time deciding which one is best. I do believe that WW is a good plan but i do like the details that MFP offers. I don't understand how WW points are calculated without using calories and I feel like i have so many points on WW, like too many (not that i am complaining LOL) but i have only lost 5lbs in 6 weeks and want better results than that.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all. I am having a hard time deciding which one is best. I do believe that WW is a good plan but i do like the details that MFP offers. I don't understand how WW points are calculated without using calories and I feel like i have so many points on WW, like too many (not that i am complaining LOL) but i have only lost 5lbs in 6 weeks and want better results than that.

My friend does WW and she was also confused about how they could calculate Points without calories. It's actually fairly simple: the new Point system takes into account carbs, fat and protein, each of which have a certain number of calories per gram. Fat has 9 calories per gram, protein has 4 calories per gram and carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram.

If you want to test this out, you can grab anything with a nutrition label on it, take the (Fat g x 9) + (Protein g x 4) + (Total Carb g x 4) and you'll get the same calorie count listed on the package (though they do round up and down to the nearest 5).

So actually, the new Points system DOES take calories into account, just in a different way. It wouldn't make sense for them to ask you to enter in the calories when you're already entering the carbs/fat/protein counts. Does that make sense? lol I don't know if I explained it well.
  • Maria504
    Maria504 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, thank you so much. Now I just need to decide which program to follow! LOL
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers from November of 2009 til around August 2010 (when i hit my goal)...I lost 75 lbs!!

Weight Watchers is great. I personally did the online program and still had great success!!

However, when they switched to the new Pro Points Plan...that's when I decided that I was gonna look elsewhere for a different program.

Then I found MFP!! I like it soo much more!! But I have to give my successful weight loss credit to WW for sure!!!

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I do both and I'm happy to do both! If I hit my calories then I stop, if I hit my points then I stop. It works for me and both communities are HUGELY supportive :) If you need any WW support my user name is KaylaTighe!!! :)

I'm the same way. I do both and keep track of what i eat on both sites. I have a Iphone and have the MFP app and the WW app. My calories and pts are pretty much the same asdie from the fruit I consum since fruit is free on WW and you count calories for it on MFP.

I love MFP for it's message boards the most, I don't get on the WW ones hardly at all. My MFP family has been so supportative for me during my journey. On the new WW program I have lost a total of 9 lbs in the last 3 weeks which is awesome. I'm paid up for the next month so I'll stick around for at least that and I'm thinking I'll actually purchase another month in may which will carry me until my vacaton at the end of May.

After that I think I'll just do MFP and stick with that. Fee free to add me as a friend and we can support eachother. :smile:
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started out on WW, but not anymore, not once I had tried MFP. It's not even the fact it's free.

I find that WW boards are full of people whining and MFP is much more full of educated (self taught or professional) who will teach you how to lose weight and keep it off.

Read up on some of the stickied posts.........learn why your body needs the fuel to work and perform to it's best. Nowhere on WW will it tell how and why different sorts of exercise are beneficial at different periods of weight loss, or why you should eat MORE as you get towards goal.

I'm not saying WW doesn't work - it does, but just see how many of the people on the boards are "returning" weighing more than when they started the last time. I would say take the opportunity to educate yourself here on how to change your lifestyle and make this a permanant change in your life.
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    I am currently a WW member and was thinking of switching to MFP. Has anyone made this leap? I am comparing the 2 programs and was interested in any feedback you could provide.

Thanks
    Maria

i did and I could not be happier with my decision. I needed to save the money for one so that is nice and I like the tools on this website better than i did the WW webtools. The meetings with WW did help me at first, but after a whlie it was just a ritual on saturday mornings and didn't affect or help my progrss any. I think no matter what you go with it is all about dedication. Now that I am really in tune with MFP I am more dedicated and seeing results. Finding a group of friends to keep eachother accountable has helped me quite a bit too. Friends/message boards/and all of that support really helps supplement anything i miss about weight watchers. And beyond that I look much much MUCH more at my nutrition on this site. on the app for my phone it shows the nutrition breakdown all the way and it helped me change to eat more of the RIGHT foods, vs. just staying in my point value ( i hear points plus , the new program, does that too, but i also hear its confusing)

To each their own, see what you like best. I can say I honestly think the switch was the best move I could've made and I wish I had done this the whole time :)