I'm so hungry!

Options
MrsD89
MrsD89 Posts: 76 Member
My real downfall is the hours between finishing work (at 5pm) and having dinner (sometimes not until 10pm! :( )

I always seem to be starving and that's when I get home and head straight for the crisp box/biscuit barrel etc. I'd love to just get ride of all these temptations and not have them in the house but I'm afraid my fiance may starve!!

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on some filling health/low calorie snacks to stop me going straight for the bad stuff?

Any and every suggestion is much appreciated as it's getting close to that face stuffing time! :)

Replies

• RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Tell your fiance to hide it from you..............lol
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Celery , celery, celery works for me. Add some light cream cheese or peanut butter.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    How come your dinner is so late?! What time is bed time? Can you try to eat dinner earlier? and if you can't I would suggest eating something low cal to hold you over - apple, banana, veggies with hummus, cup of yogurt or pudding, power or granola bar.
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds or grapes and a glass of water with..seems to help me at times like that!
  • yellowdemon
    Options
    You can eat some other things, such as a Tbsp of peanut butter, or I'll have a slice of cheese, or pork rinds (no carbs), or I have peanuts/cashews/almonds around the house as well. The only sweets that I actually have is a bag of chocolate chips that I keep in the fridge and when I get a chocolate craving I'll eat me prob 8-10 choc. chips.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like rice cakes with a tablespoon of peanut butter on it:) Fills me up!
  • RPerry44
    RPerry44 Posts: 8
    Options
    Bananas are a great snack. Also I like the 90 calorie Special K bars. They are great.
  • MrsD89
    Options
    Tell your fiance to hide it from you..............lol

I'm tempted to padlock the cupboard and give him the key haha
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You need to come home from work and have dinner. It is quite unhealthy to eat so late and go to bed on a full stomach. On evenings my husband works late I now (unfortunately) eat without him as I won't eat so late now.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    I keep sliced cucumbers in vinegar and onions in the fridge. They are crunchy, cold, tangy, and pretty much no calories. I also have kosher dill pickles in the fridge.
  • lenmason
    lenmason Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't really snack because it's a slippery slope. What starts out as a snack can easily become many handfuls!

For me, I eat black beans at all meals. Legumes are wonderful at keeping you feeling full longer. Also, eating every four hours helps, plus it keeps your body from going into starvation mode. And drinking water throughout the day.

If I must have a snack just before bed, I eat seven almonds. Yep, I count them. Because like I said earlier, handful items can get away from you. Also, almonds have magnesium that helps you sleep!

Keep up the good work!
  • skrupka
    skrupka Posts: 8
    Options
    You should really try to eat supper earlier if you can. It's hard to sleep on a full tummy! Some healthy snacks would be string cheese, a small square of cheddar, a handful of almonds, a small activia yogurt- the vanilla is delicious with some berries thrown in, one of the snack size protein bars, etc. Just think about the quality of what you are eating- is it natural or is it processed junk?
  • MrsD89
    Options
    How come your dinner is so late?! What time is bed time? Can you try to eat dinner earlier? and if you can't I would suggest eating something low cal to hold you over - apple, banana, veggies with hummus, cup of yogurt or pudding, power or granola bar.

It depends on the day, it can be anywhere from 6pm til 10pm. My fiance's a swimming so he trains after work and I go with him and help on the pool side or I'll go up to the gym and we tend not to get back until about 9.30pm. I hate eating so late then going to be on a full stomach, it makes me feel awful but it's either that or I don't have dinner at all!
  • MrsD89
    Options
    I keep sliced cucumbers in vinegar and onions in the fridge. They are crunchy, cold, tangy, and pretty much no calories. I also have kosher dill pickles in the fridge.

I love anything pickled! I never even thought about something like that! Thanks :)
  • riascott
    riascott Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here are my favourite snacks...

Blueberries!! You can eat 100g of them and they are only 76 calories. Or Raspberries, or strawberries...in fact any berries.

0% total fat free greek yoghurt . Its about 80 calories for a large tub and it really fills you up. Its extra nice wiht a blob or low sugar jam or with blueberries or strawberries.

For a savoury snack - Rice crackers. There are salt and vinegar ones which are 30 calories and they are quite big.

Miso Soup! You just add water to it. I have the ones with Tofu pieces and they are 30 calories only... I often add spring onion or spinach to bulk it up....

I also have Options hot chocolate in the house. That often is quite sickly so one cup beats all sugar cravings.

Hope it helps.... Good luck! xx
  • jodik11
    jodik11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I heard that pickles are supposed to curb our cravings for sweets. Haven't tried it though. If it works I'm going to stock up on pickles! :)
  • MrsD89
    Options
    I'm off to get something pickled now! I shall let you know if they curb my cravings, I have a very bad sweet tooth!
  • beckiewho2
    Options
    I eat several small meals a day to keep the hungries away. My big meal is breakfast, then workout time, then a snack (usually light yougurt) a sensible lunch, a snack (need vitamin C so normally fruit) a family dinner, then a snack of raw veggies before bed. I am losing about 6 ounces a day with this routine. Healthy eating and God's blessings!
  • MrsD89
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've just been and stocked up on a mixture of things people have mentioned. I'm now looking forward to going home and stuffing my face the healthier way :happy: