Newbie with a question on figuring calories

Options
I love My Fitness Pal! So far it's been very easy to use. However, I'm not sure what to do when I eat at a restaurant and have absolutely no idea how many calories are in something, and it's not in the database. Like say Thai food. How do you even begin to figure that one out? Has anyone else had an issue with this? What do you do in that situation? Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Kerry

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You google the dish, get your best estimation and enter it (and try not to have un-estimateable food too often) :smile:
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Kerry,

The first thing I do is politely ask. what ingredients are used in the food. Sometimes they will even give you the recipe, or they may have nutritional facts on it already. If they don't I usually guess at a high rate over what I normally would think it is. If I think its 800, its probably 900..hehe.
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    Do they have a website? If so you could proberly access the nutritional value for your dish. If not google it and get an average idea and use that number :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Between the MFP database and Google you will be able to come up with a reasonable calorie count. By the way, regarding Thai food, my favorite noodle dishes have much more calories than I imagined. Tom Yum soup is a good low cal option.
  • Kerryirving
    Options
    Thank for all the advice!