3 weeks and 3 pounds??? Really?

Options
So I have been eating healthy and exercising for a little over 3 weeks now and have only lost 3 pounds. I know it's "healthy" to lose a pound a week, but at this rate, I will only get to my goal when I am dead and the fat just decays off me. Anytime I have ever lost weight before I have always had drastic losses in the begining. Which kept me really motivated. I am sticking to my 1200 calories a day, working out and sometimes eating those calories back. Not all the time though. I drink anywhere from 68-84 ounces of water a day too. I have alot to lose, 50 or so pounds, so why is it coming off so slowly? I'm open to any and all suggestions!!
Thanks!

Replies

• ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    The weight may have come off drastically before but did it stay off? Life style changes cause slower but more long term (for many) weight loss.

Also, there are 52 weeks in a year so although it seems like you will be decaying before your 50 lbs come off, that is less than a year at a pound per week.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have always kept it off with exception to a pound or two. It just seems like I'm doing all this hard work, because we all know eating the bad stuff is so much easier, with very little reward.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure your net calories are at or above 1200. If your net calories are below 1200 then your body can go into starvation mode and keep storing fat as fuel. Good luck and stick with it!
  • sherihooven
    sherihooven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salt and caffiene?
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Actualy when I started working out the last time I GAINED five pounds in the first three weeks.....so, congrats on the three pounds....keep doing what's right and it'll come off! Wait a couple more weeks......it'll all of a sudden start falling off! Also, I'd take measurements! Hope it helps =D
  • mlharris
    mlharris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 5 in 4 months, so I'd surely take 1 pound per week.... your body is adjusting, amp up the exercise and I'm sure you'll see more changes!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Change something up. Change the amount of type of exercise. Also, check your salt uptake. High salt can derail weight loss. Are you tracking all calories? You may not be getting enough calories to match all of your exercise. These are all things you should evaluate.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    To me, it doesnt look like you are eating enough. Eat your cals in NET calories and see if that makes a difference.

But if it doesnt- at a lb a week you will be at your goal less than a year from now, so unless you plan on dropping dead soon, I would say, tough noogies, it's better than gaining.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    HI! Sometimes your weight loss might be better if you have a slow start. A lot of people have lost 3 or 4 pounds a week for two weeks and then nothing for a month or two. Give yourself a couple more weeks and be sure to drink lots of water!! Best of wishes to you!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Oh I'd take it girl- I lost the same two lbs for 3 months before my weight started to come off. I was working out a lot but I think my body was also really confused at only 1200 cals a day. When I started MFP I upped it to just under 1400- and it made a big difference. all that to say- appreciate that you are losing. Give it another week. then start tinkering with calories, or the types of food you are eating, etc. It's not cookie cutter after all. We have to experiment with what works with our bodies. Most importantly- go take your actual body measurements- just look for the inches coming off. The scale is a finnicky horrible creature.
  • jessicafreake
    Options
    Good job on the 3 pounds you should be proud of it. The reason you may be losing weight more slowly this time is that you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat so that would add some weight back, but this is a good thing as muscle burns more calories than fat. Make you sure you are taking measurments. Inches are more important than the pounds on the scale.
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    Patience and persistence. People don't become overweight in a short amount of time, so we shouldn't expect to lose it all in a short amount of time.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    But if it doesnt- at a lb a week you will be at your goal less than a year from now, so unless you plan on dropping dead soon, I would say, tough noogies, it's better than gaining.

This made me chuckle.. sorry.. LOL
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    Salt and caffiene?

One cup of coffee a day. Every thing else is water. I hate salt in general so my sodium intake is always lower then my recommendation.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    So I have been eating healthy and exercising for a little over 3 weeks now and have only lost 3 pounds. I know it's "healthy" to lose a pound a week, but at this rate, I will only get to my goal when I am dead and the fat just decays off me. Anytime I have ever lost weight before I have always had drastic losses in the begining. Which kept me really motivated. I am sticking to my 1200 calories a day, working out and sometimes eating those calories back. Not all the time though. I drink anywhere from 68-84 ounces of water a day too. I have alot to lose, 50 or so pounds, so why is it coming off so slowly? I'm open to any and all suggestions!!
    Thanks!
    Ok, I have lost 6lbs since January 7th; frustration doesn't even start to describe what I feel!!!!! I have been doing 1200 cals too because I have a goal to reach by August. Today I weighed in just for kicks!!! Nothing again! So I was walking back to my desk and decided to talk to my co-worker, which was a personal trainer and had his own gym; we both currently work for a nutrition company. I work out at work, in the gym, running a route by my job and doing a lot of sprinting in the parking lot. This is what he sees. He doens't see my long runs on Saturdays nor my 30DS or Crossfit workouts. I told him my dilemma and he asked me a few questions. I answered them and then he said let me see what you're eating, so I proceed to log on to MFP an show him. His response, "Holy s*** girl, your body is hanging on to fat because it doesn't know when or if it'll get fed again!!!" "That's your problem right there!" He said he's never written out a program for an active woman that's under 1600cals because below that the body is not consuming enough to get through those workouts. He also suggested pushing my body when I'm working out to a fat burning zone; so I'll be investing in a HRM. So needless to say I told hiim I was going to do 1400cals and he said, nope, do 1600 and I didn't budge so I told him I would try 1500 cals and he said he didn't agree but that I could try that.
    So maybe your body is thinking its starving and hanging on to the fat as well, hence why you're not loosing. Just thought I'd share my story because I'm in the same boat. I'm going to at least give it a try for a week to see what happens. Good luck to you!!
  • keebers1
    keebers1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I started and it took about a month before I started loosing anything. For me, I think after so many years of up and down dieting, my body was just like, heifer, please, we are not doing this again! But I stuck with it and it's coming off at about 2-3 lbs a week now. I was only walking at first as well and about a month ago incorporated Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. That's made a HUGE difference in how strong I feel, my body shape and it's kicked my tail in a great way. Even though I've only lost 15 lbs, I've gone down 4 sizes in clothes!!!! So DON'T GIVE UP no matter how frustrated you are!! I'm so glad I didn't! :)
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

This made me chuckle.. sorry.. LOL

lol they're right. slow change means longterm change. i'd love to be losing a pound a week and i eat right and exercise 7 days a week!!
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    From viewing the last few days of your diary, it looks like you eat a lot of carbs and are not drinking nearly enough water. (1 day - 0, another day 2 cups) it also looks like you skip some meals which can screw with your metabolism.

I've said this before and I know that some people disagree, but the whole eating back your calories is senseless. If you're eating them back, you're essentially undoing what exercise you put in that day. I think that if you're trying to maintain, you'd want to "eat back", not if you're trying to lose.

As I said, some may disagree, but I've lost 27 lbs in 5 weeks...

I would suggest increasing your water intake to at least 10 8oz cups a day and if you can, do a gallon. Just make sure that you have regular access to a restroom, lol.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    there is no.... "one rule for all" on this....... some will drop more weight faster than others............... yep thats crap.......... but thats the truth!

stick to what you are doing..... keep the net cals over 1200.... and keep going with it...... it WILL HAPPEN !

good luck
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    From viewing the last few days of your diary, it looks like you eat a lot of carbs and are not drinking nearly enough water. (1 day - 0, another day 2 cups) it also looks like you skip some meals which can screw with your metabolism.

I've said this before and I know that some people disagree, but the whole eating back your calories is senseless. If you're eating them back, you're essentially undoing what exercise you put in that day. I think that if you're trying to maintain, you'd want to "eat back", not if you're trying to lose.

As I said, some may disagree, but I've lost 27 lbs in 5 weeks...

I would suggest increasing your water intake to at least 10 8oz cups a day and if you can, do a gallon. Just make sure that you have regular access to a restroom, lol.

I always drink water 67-84 ounces a day, I just forget to log it most of the time. I don't know why, just forgetfull I guess.