Cous Cous

Options
Erica9903
Erica9903 Posts: 156
I bought some cous cous and I have no idea what to do with it :laugh: Please share your favorite cous cous recipes. :wink:

Replies

• earlgreygirl09
    Options
    I like adding cooked chicken, halved red grapes, cashews, and basalmic vinegar to mine. You can also do this with cooked quinoa instead of couscous and it's even healthier for you.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This might sound dumb..but what is cous cous?!?!

I googled it, I've had it before! lol
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I like adding cooked chicken, halved red grapes, cashews, and basalmic vinegar to mine. You can also do this with cooked quinoa instead of couscous and it's even healthier for you.

That sounds SO good. I am going to have to try that. Thanks for posting!
  • Harty03
    Harty03 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use cous cous with piri piri chicken and vegetables.

Peas, Broccoli, Grilled Chicken Breast coated in Piri Piri Sauce.
  • catysthename
    Options
    2 filletSalmon, Fresh
    1 cupOrange Juice
    1/4 cupLemon Juice
    2 tbspmarmalade,orange
    3/4 cupCouscous,Dry
    1 cupWater (tap)
    0.5 lb.Asparagus
    1 tbspOlive Oil, extra virgin
    1/2 tspSalt
    1 1/2 tspGarlic, Minced,Bottled

In a large bowl, combine juices, salt, garlic, and one tablespoon marmalade. Pour half of mixture into medium sautee pan.
    Rub salmon with olive oil, place in baking pan, and dab remaining marmalade on fillets.
    Pour remaining juice mixture over salmon and broil for 8-12 minutes (to preference of temperature).
    Place asparagus in sautee pan over juice mixture and steam, covered, on medium heat till hot, but not soft.
    Cook couscous according to package directions (3/4c couscous, 1c water).
    Fluff couscous with fork and place on plates. Arrange asparagus on top of couscous and pour hot juice mixture over the top.
    Remove salmon and place fillet on top of asparagus to serve.

Calories/serving: 495.4
    Protein: 46.9g
    Carbs: 45.3
    Cholesterol: 104
    Sodium: 144.1
    Fat Total: 11.7
    Sat Fat: 2
    Mono Fat: 6.3
    Poly Fat: 3.3
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Cous Cous can be great as side dish - add any veggies to it!
    Or you can make it a main dish - add shrimp, chicken, veggies,garlic toasted pine nuts.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I usually eat it under something like eggplant (parmesan) or fish. I have some parmesan cous cous that is pretty delish all by its lonesome.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just bought this last week and this is what I tried and it came out really good. I sauteed some onion & garlic in a bit of olive oil - added some Italian seasonings. Then I mixed 2 pkgs of Herbox Sodium Free chicken boullion with 2 cups of water and added it to the same pot. Added a small can of stewed tomatoes and then the couscous. Boil and then cover and simmer for approx 8-10 mins. I guess you could also use chicken broth but both my husband and I have blood pressure issues and need to watch our sodium intake.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite it...

Whole Wheat Cous Cous
    Butter (Small small amounts...if you want to use it at all)
    Parmesan Shaker Cheese
    Broccoli

Its very simple, but makes a great side dish.

Look up cous cous salad recipes, also pretty awesome. We have a market (West Side Market) that has a stand with seriously 20+ types of cous cous
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm loving all of the recipe ideas. Thanks so much to each of you for your help. have a blessed day :flowerforyou:
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I love whole wheat couscous with feta, cooked, cooled beets, chickpeas, fresh mint, lime juice, and a little oil. I am doing this for dinner tonight but adding some chicken and extra veggies.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Funny, that is what we are having tonight. I throw in a can of chick peas, a little feta cheese, some sliced olives, green onions, red peppers, or whatever I happen to have in the house. A little lemon juice is nice too. It is like pasta in a way, because you can do practically anything to it.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My Algerian so I know all about couscous. It can be served as a breakfast cereal, dressed as a salad, and sweetened for a dessert. But in it's most common use, it accompanies a stew or savory sauce, much as rice does in other culturesWe have it weekly. You can buy white couscous, whole wheat, barley couscous, corn couscous, acorn meal couscous and lavendar couscous.

You can make a ...

Tadjine(stew) Moroccan style with veg and chickpeas(or fava beans or lentils) this is very healthy and filling.

Couscous salad by adding onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, mint, lemon juice and thyme.

Eat as a side, instead of rice.

Ate it as a breakfast porridge, by steaming the cousous, then adding fruits (fresh or dried) nuts and milk of your choice (cow or almond milk is nice)

Use as stuffing for meats. I just used it to stuff chicken + pistachios, almonds and apricots.

Interesting recipe: http://www.awesomecuisine.com/recipes/1015/1/-Chocolate-Cream-Couscous-Cake/Page1.html

some roasted red peppers (in a jarà
    3 cups prepared couscous
    Salt
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp ground cumin
    black pepper
    harissa paste or Cayenne
    1 large cucumber diced
    Two handful of black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
    2 green onions, sliced thin
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    4 tomatoes, cubed
    some finely chopped parsley

Mix everything and serve shortly after.

Orange breakfast couscous
    recipe for 2 ppl
    3 prepared couscous
    juice of 2 oranges
    honey to taste
    generous pinch cinnamon
    zest of one orange
    segments of 1 orange toatsed almonds

zest the orange and then juice, segment the orange, toast the almond then mix everything

Orange date couscous salad

ORANGE DATE COUSCOUS
    This is a fresh and flavorful dish made with a couple of sweet ingredients for a twist on classic couscous. You can enjoy this as part of a light lunch with a salad, or to complement a main dish such for dinner. Since you’ll be using instant couscous, you can make this dish in under 10 minutes!

Ingredients:
    3 c prepared couscous
    ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
    10 or so finely chopped dates
    ¼ cup orange juice
    handful of black olves

simple again just mix everything

Moroccan acorn squash stuffed with couscous

2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp Ras el Hanout spice or mixture of cumin, cinnamon adn turmeric
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped fined
    1 cupchickpeas (cooked)
    1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
    1 cup uncooked couscous
    1 1/2 chicken or veg stock
    few tBS of olive oil
    1 tsp honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    wash and clean the squash. scoop out the inside. salt
    roast in the oven for 30m until tender

Arrange squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until tender.

mix the rînch of the ras el hanout spice with the olive oil and honey.
    Brush squash with the butter mixture, and keep squash warm while preparing the stuffing.

sautee the onion carrot and celery for 5m. then mix in the chikcpeas and raisins. Season withw salt, and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
    Pour the chicken stock into the skillet, and mix in the couscous. Cover skillet, and turn off heat. Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes. Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture to serve.

All easy recipes for you to try!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    My husband's favorite:

couscous
    seeded, chopped tomatoes
    green onions chopped
    fresh basil chopped
    fresh garlic to taste (we use A LOT!)
    salt & pepper
    olive oil (I use a lot less of this now than I used to :-)

Serve cold or at room temperature. YUM!
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    I add raw veggies (carrot, celery, red onion, mushroom, pepper, cucumber, tomato) and seeds and chopped nuts for protein. Or could add flaked salmon (or other fish) for omega 3.

Method:
    Make the cous cous
    Chop the other ingredients
    Mix
    Enjoy
    Feel good about eating healthily.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I add raw veggies (carrot, celery, red onion, mushroom, pepper, cucumber, tomato) and seeds and chopped nuts for protein. Or could add flaked salmon (or other fish) for omega 3.

Method:
    Make the cous cous
    Chop the other ingredients
    Mix
    Enjoy
    Feel good about eating healthily.

This sounds YUMMYY!! thanks!
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to make this salad all the time. Believe it or not, it's a Paula Deen recipe. She doesn't include the nutritional information on her recipe but I can't imagine it would be bad for you judging by the ingredients. You could always use less oil.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/tracies-couscous-salad-recipe/index.html
  • catysthename
    Options
    healthygrocerylist.com!!!
    You can find recipes and it generates a grocery list out of the ingredients. It has cous cous on there as well!