trying to get the family eating vegetables? tips needed

Options
hey, I've realised that over the past couple weeks i've eaten way too many carbs :blushing: and would like to find a way of not only bringing more vegetables into my diet but also into my families too, the problem is we've never really had many vegetables other than peas and sweetcorn so both my younger brother (13) and sister (5) refuse to try any vegetables at all i was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting them to try new foods. :happy:

x
lor

Replies

• lor040988
    Options
    hey, I've realised that over the past couple weeks i've eaten way too many carbs :blushing: and would like to find a way of not only bringing more vegetables into my diet but also into my families too, the problem is we've never really had many vegetables other than peas and sweetcorn so both my younger brother (13) and sister (5) refuse to try any vegetables at all i was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting them to try new foods. :happy:

x
    lor
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    How about honeyed carrots. My mom would make that for us as kids and I still love it. Just boil some carrots and at the end add drain the water and add just a little honey. You can add butter if you like but that is optional and not really necesary.

I know I have others but can't think of them right now.

When I do I will post them for you.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ah the age old question.
    My mom always put the veggies on our plate, she did not say anything, she did not do anything just put the veggies on our plate. and a very tiny bit of the main meal.
    If we ate the veggies AND the main meal, THEN we could have more.
    If not we went hungry. and she pushed this home because if we where not done when everyone else was, she tossed the food left in the dogs dish.
    There was no screaming or yelling about it. And there was no going to the pantry for cookies or something that we liked because that was not allowed and more often then not, it was just the stuff to make it.
    That might sound Harsh, but that is how I was raised. and it is also how I raised my daughter.
    I love fruit and veggies and so does she.
    Oh and BTW!!! do not EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER
    tell a kid.
    "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE IT, BUT EAT IT ANY WAY!"
    If you do they will NEVER eat their veggies. And HIDING THEM IN STUFF??!!??
    WHATEVER! Now as the older sis, It is not really your place to enforce the eating rules at the house, but you CAN be a GREAT example.
    Try things, Kids are curious, when you eat your food ACT LIKE IT IS THE GREATEST FOOD EVER IN YOUR MOUTH! Tell your Mom how GREAT IT IS! BRAG OVER IT! They will follow suit soon enough!
    --Diann... :flowerforyou:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I came across a recipe once - you add swede and carrots to mashed potato and shape them as chips, and then fry them slightly with a little olive oil - might be worth a try?

My kids love it, but then, they love veg, but it's worth trying out
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi Eve23

The new book by Jessica Seinfeld shows how to get veggies into your kids. You puree them and add them w/o the kids knowing until they get use to the taste and then you can serve the veggies whole.

There are other books on this as well.

Good luck,

Connie Lynn
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie sneaker! My kids have a few that they like, but if I they feel they're not getting enough, I'll grate them into meat or sauce or whatever I'm cooking. When it's on their plate, the only rule is that they need to try it. A proper bite that is! MY daughter wouldn't eat any when she was around 4 or five. Now she eats whatever is on her plate!:smile: My son is seven and he's a non-veggie boy, but he doesn't hesitate to try new food, which is helpful, and it's usually easier to get him to eat something when he's helped to make it. He loves helping in the kitchen and I totally take advantage! See what works for your little bro and sis......but the best way I've found is just by being a good example. You eat them and rave about how yummy it is and how good you feel... they're more likely to try.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my 2 year old to eat and actually like veggies by cooking alot stews and casseroles with veggies in it. She likes the soft texture of the carrots, peas, mushrooms, etc. and all the flavors the actual dish provide absorb into the veggies. Hope this helps:smile:
  • kcran
    kcran Posts: 18
    Options
    I try adding vegetables to our favorite dishes. Like grated carrots, chopped celery, chopped brocolli, and onions, peppers and garlic to my taco meat(half vegies and half meat. Tastes the same but less fat and more vegetables. When I made cabbage rolls last week to the meat mixture(ground round and spicy sausage) I added grated carrots, chopped celery, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and chopped red pepper plus a couple jalapeno peppers and garlic (made enough for three meals). I have found vegies can be added to almost anything and not change the taste.
  • SkyDuchess
    SkyDuchess Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :noway:

Thanks. i have 3 little ones. The youngest is 3. He has managed to make it this far in life on a diet of Oatmeal, chicken nuggets, and speghettos.

My older girls will eat veggies and seem to love them. i have tried to come up with a good way to get them to enjoy trying new stuff. Now I know.

thanks.

Just gonna put it on the Plate. :bigsmile:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    My kids actually eat their vegies fairly good. Except for onions.

I don't know how other places my be but I work with kids every day and at our school we have a salad bar with healthy vegies, fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, and salads everyday in serving size portions. You would be amazed how many kids actually do eat their vegies. Often vegies I personally am not fond of. But they choose what they like and they eat it.

Just thought I would share.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi Eve23

The new book by Jessica Seinfeld shows how to get veggies into your kids. You puree them and add them w/o the kids knowing until they get use to the taste and then you can serve the veggies whole.

Good luck,

Connie Lynn

Yeess!!!
    She was on The View & Oprah.
    Puree carrots and add the to Mac & Cheese, puree cauliflower and add it to mashed potatoes... Match the veggies to the same colored foods.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi Eve23

Good luck,

Connie Lynn

This is the best way to get kids to eat veggies. My favorite thing to do when my kids were small was to puree carrots and add them to spagetti sauce. They never knew the difference. If you are going to do that, test it out first. Some veggies are too strong tasting and you might have to hide it with spices. Works good to if you are trying to get the whole fam to eat better. The hubby doesn't have to know either :laugh:
    BTW - you can do the same thing with fibre. You can get that shakable fibre stuff and add it to dishes as well. Keeps you full longer too!

Charlene :bigsmile: