Starting Couch to 5K, anyone else?

Options
Hello!

I just started the Couch to 5K program yesterday. Anyone else at the beginning and want to join up for support?

My goal is to run our local Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, but might find I'm ready before that. I've never been a runner, so I think that gives me plenty of time.

:happy:

Replies

• CindyNixon
    Options
    I am training in a 12 week 5k training with my church group called Run for God. We are on week 10. It is unreal what your body can do with a faith. Hang in there and keep on keeping on !!
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am starting Monday all being well :) Good luck with yours. I'm hoping to run a 5k in July if this goes to plan!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!

Running is a great way to lose weight and preparing for a race is a great way to stay motivated.

Instead of obsessing about weight, you're focusing on a training regime.

Good luck!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm starting next Monday too :) I want in :)
  • ters190
    ters190 Posts: 5
    Options
    hi there! I have started and stopped it twice... wanna be accountability partners? :wink:
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Good luck! C25K is what got me running, and now I'm absolutely addicted! Seriously. I feel totally off if I don't get my daily run.

It's a great program; I'm sure you'll love it. BUT don't be afraid to modify the program and repeat workouts if it advances too quickly! I think I spent about 2 months on week 6's workouts.

PS: Go Boilers! :wink:
  • binderangie
    Options
    I just finished it and it's the best program ever! Never would I have imagined that I could jog for 3 minutes......then 5........then 10, 20, 30. The first 4 weeks are the hardest, I promise. Just stay with it and you will amaze yourself. I really never belived I could do the first 20 minute jog but I got all the way through it and it felt amazing!! Let it work for you.....it will!!! Good Luck!
  • EllyK09
    EllyK09 Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 today but have been doing c25k for six weeks. I repeated week 2 and 3 to make sure I was ready to move on! Feel free to add me I love hearing how others are doing with c25k!
  • shyblur
    shyblur Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in....I am just looking it up on the net...is there a specific website you can recommend or are they all the same?

Good luck.....I need motivation to get going and this sounds great!
  • coranfloyd
    Options
    I am on week 4 day 2 of the Couch to 5K. It has taken me a long time to get here. The plan takes a big jump and I found it difficult. I have just been doing 1 min. run and 40 secs walk for however far I run. In February, I started using the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and yoga meltdown videos for cross training. I do both together three times a week. I have seen amazing strength, endurance, and weight loss results. Now I can go back to the Couch to 5K plan and actually do it. Even though I can't run a whole 5K yet, I still compete in races using the run 1 min. walk 40 secs. strategy. I have been using this strategy and increasing mileage. I'm up to 5 1/2 miles. I'm glad you have started this new challenge! I hope you have much success!! I'm rooting for you:smile:
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I finished week 1 last night, but will repeat it because I just don't feel ready to move on. I downloaded the podcast to my iPod that tells you when to run, walk, etc. I will keep checking in. Good luck with your C25K. :bigsmile:
  • coranfloyd
    Options
    Google Couch to 5K and you'll find it.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    There's also a C25K iPhone/iPod app that is absolutely wonderful!! It times things for you and speaks over your music to tell you when to run, walk, etc. I found it indispensable.
    I think it's around $2, but I could be wrong..
  • edgehollow2
    Options
    I want to RUN a 5K in May to benefit a local lil girl with cancer. So I'm in. I've started before but have never got passed Week 1. Not because I couldn't, but because I didn't keep up with the workout. I'm finding my motivation to be fit and slim and I think running will be a great way to get outdoors, enjoy the fresh air and work on my weight loss goals.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just started yesterday too! You can add me if you'd like!!!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 2 yesterday! I can't wait to finish and run a few 5k's here in DC. After that, I hope to move up to the Bridge to 10k program, and run a few of those, too!

I have never been a runner, but the way it starts off slow is really helpful, and now I look forward to my runs!
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There's also a C25K iPhone/iPod app that is absolutely wonderful!! It times things for you and speaks over your music to tell you when to run, walk, etc. I found it indispensable.
    I think it's around $2, but I could be wrong..

I have that app too and I love it! It makes it so much easier to track the time.
  • EllyK09
    EllyK09 Posts: 75
    Options
    I recommend that you download the app from your phones app store or download the podcasts. I downloaded the app for my Android phone and it's amazing!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 but ran my first 5k this past weekend. Good Luck!
  • Jbledsoe42
    Jbledsoe42 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I also downloaded an app for my Droid. I'm using "C25K Lite" which is free and it really helps me. It chimes (over my music) when it's time to switch to running/walking so I don't have to keep an eye on the clock. This helps me focus on running and not on how much longer I have.

I ran Tuesday and yesterday but today I'm giving my thighs a break. I'm going to do day three tomorrow.

Does anyone know if this is ok? Do you have to do the three days in a row?