Exercise while sick

Options
Ok, so here's the question...should you exercise when you are sick? I am not terribly ill...but have a sore throat/headache/muscle aches and fatigue. I took some advil and pushed through my elliptical and then a general aerobic/toning dvd. Do you do more harm than good by pushing yourself or is it better to work through it? I feel really bad now physically but mentally I am glad I got my workouts in. Any input is appreciated :wink:

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you won't make your illness worse if you exercise UNLESS it's in your chest. In that case, you should take a few days off until your lungs clear.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have had a minor cold for about a week. Last Friday I did a spinning class, then spent the entire weekend in bed - miserable. I have been wondering what the guidelines for this are also.
    Clearly I did something wrong!
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    I've always been told that you won't make your illness worse if you exercise UNLESS it's in your chest. In that case, you should take a few days off until your lungs clear.

Agree! Of course, if you feel light-headed or dizzy at any point, please stop! And make sure to drink plenty of water. You will probably feel more fatigued than usual when exercising sick(ish), but that's ok... just eat well, drink water, and sleep!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If it's above the neck, you're ok to exercise. But don't overdo it. If you're feeling fatigued, you can do some light exercising, but don't push as hard as you normally would. You need the energy to heal.
  • krbzyf
    krbzyf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would not put my body through any thing else if it is trying to fight a up coming "cold". Your body needs all the energy it can use to fight it. You won't do yourself any favors by working out sick. In the long run you could delay feeling better sooner by working out. Good Luck, hope you feel well soon!
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It isn't going to hurt you but listen to your body. If you feel too spent from your cold to workout you probably should listen.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I too heard its ok unless its in your chest but also unless youre also running a fever, then its time to rest. I am in such a habit of working out everyday no matter what that its hard for me too to take a break when ill but usually if I am seriously dragging and I listen to my body (sometimes Ive started a workout when sick and during Im just so fatigued I have to quit) and am so weak or feverish or my chest hurts its time to take a break and I just eat less that day and drink more water:) Hope that helps:) Feel better soon!
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You were probably on the verge and the class tipped you onto the sicker side:( sorry:( get better soon!
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! :flowerforyou: