1,200 calories help

Options
For the past week an a half I have been doing well.. for the first time since I got this thing back in the fall. I have stayed right at 1,200 per day. Not exercising i might once it gets nice out here in minnesota. well anyways. I started off at 145 and started losing weight right way. . everyday i weighd myself and lost a little something now this is a week and a half later I weigh 140 but the scale hasnt done anything yesterday or today its wanting to stick right at 140. I have been drinking a lot of carbonated waters about 4 a day. Wondering if this is causing me to bloat and weigh more or what the deal is? I do feel bloated lol. Its not even near that time of the month either. Help anyone know why the scale did not budge yesterday or today?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I really don't recommend people weigh daily, if they are gong to get hung up on the numbers. Everyone's body fluctuates from day to day. Water retention (from sodium, working out, etc.), the digestive process, and probably a million other things cause fluctuations. Many people can fluctuate as much as 2,3, even 5 pounds from day to day. Are you watching your sodium? If I have a high-sodium day, I immediately gain 2-3 pounds in water weight.

It's much more reasonable to pick a single weigh-in day each week. Weigh yourself the same day each week, the same time of day, same circumstances. It's best to weight first thing in the morning after relieving yourself. Clothes or no clothes doesn't really matter - but be consisitent whichever way you pick, and if you wear clothes, wear the same type/style every time.
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i would avoid carbonation of any type, even in waters.

im still having aggressive results 4 weeks in and i only drink water and diet tea.

i cant imagine the carbonation would be good at all for diet.
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    You lost 5lbs in a week and a half...I believe that is something to be proud of. The scale doesn't change everyday, and at times it goes up and down. Be patient with it, and avoid the scale as often as possible and just measure inches.
    I do believe carbonated water causes a lot of gas in your stomach and could be the reason why you're bloated, why drink it in the first place..just stick with normal good ol water...and sodium will cause you to bloat so make sure you only stick to your recommended daily value.
    Hope this helps.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    For the past week an a half I have been doing well.. for the first time since I got this thing back in the fall. I have stayed right at 1,200 per day. Not exercising i might once it gets nice out here in minnesota. well anyways. I started off at 145 and started losing weight right way. . everyday i weighd myself and lost a little something now this is a week and a half later I weigh 140 but the scale hasnt done anything yesterday or today its wanting to stick right at 140. I have been drinking a lot of carbonated waters about 4 a day. Wondering if this is causing me to bloat and weigh more or what the deal is? I do feel bloated lol. Its not even near that time of the month either. Help anyone know why the scale did not budge yesterday or today?

Two things...does your carbonated water have additives or artificial sweetners in it? Fake sweetners frequently cause bloat. When I figured this out for me and cut out the Splenda and all other "sugar free" foods that have fake sweeteners in them, within one week I lost 6 lbs....and that was after having the scale stuck for a few weeks. And that bloated "blah" feeling was gone.

Second....your body may be signalling you that 1200 is too low for it so its refusing to let more go. Try bumping the calories by 10% for a week and seeing if it jump starts the weight loss again.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday too and I know you shouldn't but if you can accept that everyday will be different (good or bad or the same) I think its ok. That being said, I would definitely stay away from the carbonated drinks...they contain tons of sodium, and just monitor your sodium intake in general. I drink a lot of water and was having the same issues with bloat, so I cut most salt out of my recipes and have been feeling really good!
    Your doing great, don't get discouraged!!!
  • romade188
    romade188 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The carbonated water is probably your issue with the bloating, and could also be the reason for your weight not continuing to go down. If it has additives such as sugar, artificial sweeteners, or sodium then you should probably switch it out for regular water. Also there are plenty of things you could do around the house for exercise. Use your wall to do standing push ups, or sit on a kitchen chair and do leg lifts. Every little thing helps, and counts, so get creative, and good luck.
  • andsjhunni2
    Options
    Thank u so much to everyone this was very helpful keep posting to any of you that have more advice !! : ) I am going to cut out the carbonated water and I have been taking in to much sodium I believe so I will cut down on that also