subway yummy

Options
I get chicken and peppers. Oh on wheat bread. Is subway fattening?

Replies

• bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you order chicken and peppers is good as long as you don't pile up on the cheese and mayo and a 6 inch with a side of apples or yogurt is much better than a foot long.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    most of the sauces at subway are pretty unhealthy...so you need to consider that...they also use full fat cheese..and the bread/meat/sauces are high in sodium. I think subway is OK as a fast food but you need to be careful about what you order and not get it too often.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    the nurtritional information is on their webpage.

Its also not as good as they lead on, a lot of their subs are a better alternative to a burger, but some still over 800-1100 cals + so hardly a health food, its depends on what you put on it.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you go for the roasted chicken breast on whole wheat with NO cheese or sauce and load up on the veggies it is not too bad.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    most of the sauces at subway are pretty unhealthy...so you need to consider that...they also use full fat cheese..and the bread/meat/sauces are high in sodium. I think subway is OK as a fast food but you need to be careful about what you order and not get it too often.

This isn't entirely true, the spicy mustard, honey mustard, vinegar, and sweet onion sauce are all very low in calories and fat. I love subway. As the first poster said, it's the cheese and mayo, southwest sauce that kills you.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    While I like Subway, I stick to what I know....

1 6" Turkey Sandwich on wheat with just a drizzle of mustard, american cheese, lettuce, olives, onion, salt and pepper.

I worked at a subway for about a year and a half ten years ago. I agree it all depends on what exactly you have on the sandwich. The dressings and bread are what constitutes most of the calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This isn't entirely true, the spicy mustard, honey mustard, vinegar, and sweet onion sauce are all very low in calories and fat. I love subway. As the first poster said, it's the cheese and mayo, southwest sauce that kills you.

And the amount of sodium in their bread is quite high, and all of the meet is processed (high sodium) and not what I would consider "food". The veggie sub is the best bet, as the veggies are real.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love subway! I have been trying to stop the McDonalds and go there. You just have to check the calories because some of the subs are worth more than a Super-Sized Big Mac meal with a Diet coke.

My regular order is a turkey breast sub with swiss cheese a tonne of lettuce, tomatoe, red onion, and sweet onion sauce... yummy!
  • recipe4success
    Options

that's why i said "most" lol
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

But the amount of the sodium and sugar in those condiments are sky high. And guess what? Our bodies turn sugar to fat.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you go for the roasted chicken breast on whole wheat with NO cheese or sauce and load up on the veggies it is not too bad.

for a guy looking for extra protein i like to get a 6" roasted chicken and get double the meat. that still might be too many calories for a female though.
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    they have a chart when you go in that tells you good stuff to add if you are watching carbs, fat, and sodium and what to avoid.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    they have a chart when you go in that tells you good stuff to add if you are watching carbs, fat, and sodium and what to avoid.

i think that chart is really misleading.

if something is low in sodium, it is likely high in sugar or fat.

if it is low in fat, it is probably high in sugar and sodium.

when you remove ingredients from food, you have to replace it with something else to get it to still taste good.

anyway, subway is not a bad option but also not a health food by any means.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    A good idea is to take off the top bread and then cut the bottom bread with all the ingredients on it in half and then put that together like a sandwich. Their bread is so high in carbs. I have seen some people post sandwiches from Subway that were over 800 calories and I have seen them posted that were only 300. You just have to be very conscious of what you are putting on it.
  • britneybowen
    britneybowen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Subway is one of the healthiest fast food places you can eat at! I always get the Chicken Teriyaki on either wheat or parm oregno bread with some onions and olives and the sweet onion sauce. It is about 400 some calories for a 6 inch sub which is not bad!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Considering what is out there, Subway is the best "fast food" option most people have around. I don't live in a big city where organic restaurants and choices exist so its either DQ, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc, or Subway. Like everything out there, there is always going to be something wrong with it. Yes the meat is processed. Yes the bread has carbs. BUT think of all the other crap we eat at "sit down" restaurants, and even in our own homes that we think are healthy but really aren't?! You just have to conscious of what you are getting. If you go in and get the Monetary Bread with Roast Beef, Ham, Turkey, Salomi, with cheese, olives, mayo, chipotle sauce, etc OF COURSE its going to be junk for you, duh! But if you go and stick to a low cal/fat/carb option then you should be ok for the most part. It won't be as healthy as if you grew a dang garden and plucked a carrot from it, but its a decent go to meal for those who simply need that option some days. Like everything in life - food, relationships, activities- its all about the choices you make. I personally like to go to their website to get a rough estimate of a sandwich/salad before I go in so I know what is the best options. Of course leave room for error at the end of the day as in extra calories. But honestly, Subway isn't that crazy insane bad as others make it. (you can't believe everything you read sometimes....) Just enjoy it in moderation :)

PS: I eat Subway about once a week. I still lose weight each week, have good BP, Cholesterol, Sugar levels, etc. So it isn't killing me :)

http://www.subwayfreshbuzz.com/menu/freshfit_choices/turkey_breast_ham/#
    Here is their build your own sandwich site that allows you to get an estimate of each sandwich. Remember to leave room for error because the amounts all depend on what the worker puts on the sandwich and what you tell them too :)