Pregnant!

Options
My goals have changed from trying to lose weight to trying to maintain as much as I can and eat as healthy as possible. I know everyone's pregnancy is different depending on body type, etc. but I want to do anything I can to stay healthy and provide the best nutrients I can for my growing baby.

The cravings have already set in.. so its already getting tough. I was focusing on a 1200 calorie diet before.. my pregnancy books say only increase your food intake by 300 calories. Isn't 1500 calories too little!?

Any suggestions are welcome!!

Replies

• abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1200 is for losing weight. You need more. I would slowly increase them. Maybe bring it up to your doctor. Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Congratttsss!!!!!! You can consult your doctor or google it. I'm sure it'll tell you how many cals to bump up to when expecting.
  • Cherls123
    Options
    Congrats. Why not check out the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculator under the tools tab. This should give you an idea of what you need as a basic calorie requirement, add enough extra for the exercise you're generally doing and then stick your extra 'pregnancy' calories on top. This might give you a figure to aim for?
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am in the same predicament. I will be seeing my doc pretty soon to discuss all that but for now I am trying to slowly bring my calories back up because I don't want to gain a ton of weight with this one like I did with my first one (this is my 4th baby). I never feel hungry so I think I and baby will be okay.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! :happy:

About 1500 cal and you'll just maintain weight without being pregnant, I think you need about 1700-1800 while pregnant depending on your body type an current BMI etc. . Definitely talk to your doctor and enjoy this very exciting part of your life!!
  • BayleeGirl
    Options
    thank you everyone! my first dr. appt is next week. ultrasound and all!! i'm so excited. :happy:
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I think you need at least 1800 but definitely check with your doctor. I gained 45 lbs with mine and it took me 7 months to lose it all so be careful. She is almost 9 months now and boy does it feel good getting back in my clothes. But also enjoy being able to eat more while you can. =)