A few questions?

showell37
showell37 Posts: 5
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I have been working out steady for about 2 and a half months and have lost a meager 5 pounds, and I am exercising at my local athletic club at least 4-5 days a week, for at least 45 min. I have quit drinking Mt. Dew which I was drinking ALOT, I have cut out alot of sweets but not all. I have made alot of changes to have only lost these 5 pounds. I have been even taking classes at the club, Body Pump, Pilates, Yoga, and then doing my own cardio. I have come to the conclusion that maybe I need to stick with more cardio, but I am not sure? Also, I am wondering if anyone knows of a good food diet to follow, I have searched online and there is so much mumbo jumbo that it is hard to know which are crash diets, and which are the best to follow. I just dont have a good schedule of eating and what to eat. I think if I hear what has worked for others it will give me some inspiration as well as great ideas to follow.
Thank you for your time
:ohwell:

Replies

• Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Well, I have just been watching my cals, not really dieting. I buy whole wheat pasta and ground turkey to make spaghetti now. Thats probably the BIGGEST change I have made. I do 1 hour of cardio everyday and I also do 500 ab crunches monday thru friday. I joined at the end of January, and have lost 15lbs. Cardio is AWESOME for fat burn. I have to admit, my workout consists of doing Wii Fit and Wii Zumba in my livingroom while my daughter naps, but it really works. I decided to forgo the gym membership and just buy the only 2 machines I used in the gym last year when I had my membership! My elliptical and my treadmill. I spent less than $300 for both! DEFF change ur routine around about every 2 weeks or u will plateau! Hope this info helps!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    We would need more info about you (stats, lifestyle) and for you to open your diary to be able to give any real advice.
  • cjreesejr
    cjreesejr Posts: 22
    Sounds like one of your biggest issues is stress. A lot of times weight loss stops due to people just being so stressed about work,family,friends,relationships or even their weight loss. Another issue might be the stopping of all these habits especially if it was cold turkey and all at once. Chances are if you stopped all of the above habits you probably also cut out way too many calories and could be in starvation mode. A couple of great tools I found that helped me out were a food scale and a heart rate watch
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    I'm not doing any 'diet' I have just been eating healthier foods and eating every 2 or 3 hours. I'm not going to go on any diet because I am only making changes that I can do for the rest of my life and in my experience when you 'diet' even if you lose weight you gain it back when you stop 'dieting'. If we could see your food diary it would be easier to give more specific advice.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I agree that you would need to specify a few things such as how much is your daily calorie intake, what is your weekly goal for weight loss, are you under or over your daily calorie goals, are you choosing healthy alternatives for your diet, etc. Though, I don't think it's a necessity for you to open up your diary in order for "real" advice to be given. Basic statistical background info should suffice.

That said, 5 pounds lost is still 5 pounds lost. Slow as it may be, depending on how much you weigh now vs what your goal weight is, your metabolism may not be burning calories as efficiently as it should be for various reasons. Since you're taking a variety of classes, muscle weighs more than fat and all that usual "common" sense info. You may be building lean muscle so weight itself shouldn't be an absolute measure of health.

If all you did was cut out Mtn. Dew and sweets, the rest of your diet should also have changed, such as increased water intake, increased fiber, lean protein, veggies, etc. Again, just basic info that could be pertinent to any advice that could be dispensed specific to your questions.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I followed body for life, but you will probably be fine following the goals that mfp sets up for you. Try to reach your numbers on vitamins, proteins, potasium, etc. Make sure you are getting near your caloric needs without going over too far. Drink plenty of water. If you are stagnating, change things up a bit. Try to add in some strength training. Muscle will help increase your metabolism aiding in the fat loss.
  • How do I open it? Sorry Im new:)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    How do I open it? Sorry Im new:)

Go to Settings, Diary settings and make it public ;)
This discussion has been closed.