tilapia

Options
Does anyone have any easy tilapia recipes? I had it yesterday baked with a slice of reduced fat chesse and spices and it was good.. But I want to try something new!

Replies

• marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sinkle on some ms.dash and little lemon juice and broil it.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    pan fry in olive oil and add a little lawry's seasoning salt....yummy!
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I love Emeril's Fish rub.... just go easy on it (sodium) a little EVOO and some of that and broil it 10-12 minutes--- just watch it so it doesnt burn :) this stuff is good on all kinds of fish....
  • chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like a little lemon juice, tony chacheres cajun seasoning ( go easy sodium), and cilantro and bake it! Its fantstic
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I place mine in a pie plate... then a few sprays of I can't believe it's not butter, sprinkle w/ lemon/pepper seasoning.. top w/ cling wrap and microwave-yum!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love to eat tilapia with chipotle tabasco sauce, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, S+P, lemon or lime juice, dried or fresh jalapenos in whole wheat tortillas. I usually pan fry the tilapia, but you can bake it too. I usually marinade the tilapia in a mixture of tabasco sauce (either chipotle or regular) with orange juice and some lemon juice. I serve it with some sort of "salsa" on top, either apple-cucumber or black bean-corn. Delicious and faintly mexican in flavor.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm having this for dinner...I pan fry it with cooking spray and a little bit of grill seasoning with red pepper flakes. Adds a little spice to it.
  • Cbeth80
    Cbeth80 Posts: 49
    Options
    I love tilapia. I use blackened seasoning, I buy Tony Creole and pan sear it in a little olive oil over yellow rice with broccoli. Now that's a meal!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of fish fillets like this:

I slice onion, about 1/2 inch thick slices and lay slices on my cooling rack which is sitting on a foil covered baking sheet. Place frozen tilapia (or other fish) fillet on onion slice. Sprinkle with about 1 Tbsp. whole wheat italian bread crumbs per fillet and about 1/8 c. mozzerella cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese per fillet. I season with a bit of garlic salt & pepper and then bake at about 425 for 25-30 minutes. I turn on the broiler for about the last 2 minutes of baking to get a crusty top to the fish. Even the onions are yummy! My kids LOVE this way of baked fish.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I made tilapia yesterday from a recipe I saw on the Food Network..."Bobbys Baked Tilapia" a Paul Deen recipe. Very simple to make, very simple ingredients and about 15 minutes total.

-2-3 tilapia filets
    -1 lime
    - Salt and pepper
    - pat of butter for each filet

-Pre heat oven to 375
    -Salt and pepper the tilapia filets (you can even use a little garlic seasoning to give it extra flavor)
    -Zest the lime over the tilapia filets, squeeze the juice of the lime over the filets after zesting
    -Spray oil a cookie sheet or cast iron griddle and place filets
    -Bake for about 10-12 mins or a little longer depending on flakiness.

Very light, very healthy and delicious recipe for tilapia. For clearer instructions, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/bobbys-baked-tilapia-recipe/index.html

Enjoy!
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions.

Candie
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    May I ask where and what kind of tilapia you buy?

Thanks,
    Candie
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    There isn't a big selection of tilapia at the grocery stores in my area. Generally, I buy what they have at the Fresh Fish counter at Dierbergs or Schnucks. Once in awhile I'll drive out to go to Whole Foods Market to pick up their fresh fish like salmon, tilapia and trout. I think in general tilapia is a popular and less expensive fish so the availability is broader among grocery stores. But imho, I would stick to fresh vs. frozen (aka. SeaPak, Gorton's, etc).
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you used greek yogurt or lowfat mayo instead of the full-fat stuff, this might work:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/foil-packet-tilapia-crockpot-recipe.html

If you don't have a crockpot, you can always bake the packets instead.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I usually use this recipe for ginger soy tilapia: http://www.eeecooks.com/recipes/2001/11/26/tilapia
  • nadia05
    nadia05 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi! We eat tilapia a few times a week, and one of my favorites is to finely chop mint leaves and mix with lime juice and zest and olive oil, salt and pepper and minced garlic. Then we rub the mixture onto the filets, and we grill! It's super delicious, and it works on salmon and chicken too :)
  • richkid
    richkid Posts: 1
    Options
    any specific oil to fry it with/how long??