Ladies, a BCP question...

Options
Hi ladies,
So I recently switched from mini-pills b/c I was nursing, back to combined pills b/c I am not nursing. I kind of am hating them for a number of reasons, but the question I have for you all is: do bcp mess with your appetite? I am having a really hard time with the munchies! I want to eat ALL the time. I did not have this problem before. Nothing else has changed in my life. Will this subside? Should I wait it out? In the meantime, I am trying not to overeat, trying to drink more water, munching on air popped popcorn but...Yikes!
Advice?
Thanks,
J

Replies

• kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just did the same thing and am wondering if they are the cause of a few pund weight gain. Before switching pills I had been steadily losing weight and then I switched, hit a plateau, and have now gaines 3-4 lbs despite eating right and working out 6 days/week?!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I'd wait it out a month or two, but if you are still noticing the side effect, go back to your Dr. and see if you can try another pill with less side effects. It took me a while to find the right one for me, but I am so glad I didn't stick with the first Rx I got - they made me a rage-aholic! Now I am using my normal Rx, which does not affect my mood.

Hope this helps!
  • Jessibear2854
    Jessibear2854 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Idk about pills but when I first started the ring, it made me RAVENOUS for a good month... then it subsided.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know different brands of pills have different effects. Some can cause you to gain, lose, have irregular periods, increase in appetite. I have had to switch my brand 3 times until I found one that didn't have any side effects on me. I've been on mine for a few years now. I'm sure the side effects of pills vary for each person. I would definitely talk to your doctor if it continues.
  • Nelly711
    Nelly711 Posts: 52
    Options
    I was on the mini pill as well, but my dr. put me on Lo-Estrin 24. I love it. No weight gain, no side effects, 3 day light periods. I have been on it since October and won't use any other kind. I have not noticed any weight gain from the pill, like I did when I was on the depo shot.
  • ahornig
    ahornig Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello ladies! I get this question a lot from women (I am a pharmacist) and I am by no means an expert, but there really isn't any conclusive evidence out there for this subject. I will tell you what I know.

Women may experience a slight "water weight" gain shortly after starting the pill because birth control pills can alter your water metabolism. This is usually a cyclic effect that often begins in the first month as a result of an increase in sodium. Reducing your salt intake moderately can help control this type of water retention. The estrogen in the pill can also cause weight gain due to increased breast, hip, or thigh tissue, usually after several months on the pill. This causes swollen ankles, breast tenderness, discomfort with contact lenses, or a weight gain of up to five pounds.

The mechanism of action is probably direct stimulation by the estrogen in pills of kidney substances called renin-angiotensin that cause water retention. The water retention then causes sodium (salt) retention. A lower estrogen level pill, e.g., 20 mcg, will help reduce weight gain due to fluid retention. This was confirmed in a more recent study with 30 mcg pills in which there was essentially no difference in weight gain or weight loss between the placebo group and the oral contraceptive group. Again, however, 30% of these women had a weight gain of more than 1 lb but the net result was the same in the control group. Those who did have weight gain had increased fat but no difference in fluid retention amounts indicating that fluid weight gain may be less of a problem with the newer, lower estrogen pills.

There have been reports through the years, in higher dose estrogen pills, of adverse effects on insulin resistance. Even recent studies seem to indicate that current pills can raise insulin levels. Insulin resistance is a condition in which insulin levels rise in response to carbohydrates and drive all energy into the fat cells and essentially prevent weight loss even with dieting.

Not all women are susceptible to insulin resistance and thus not all women gain weight using oral contraceptives. Those that have a tendency to abnormal glucose metabolism may be the ones who gain weight. If a woman gains weight upon starting oral contraceptives and there are not other explanations, she should be checked out for possible insulin resistance. (If you gain more than 5% of your total weight when starting BCP, you should get checked by a doctor.)

What can you do if you have weight gain on the pills?
    Using the lowest possible estrogen containing birth control pill should minimize weight gain and swelling from water retention. Current 20 mcg pills which are the lowest estrogen doses available are:
    Alesse
    Levlite
    Loestrin-Fe
    Mircette
    Or of course you could continue with the Progesterone only pills (Micronor, Ovrette, Nor-QD)

Hope this helps :)