Shin Splints..Help!

Options
I just started running this week and have aweful shin slpints. Does anyone know what to do to help ease the pain, and do I continue running to work it out or should I give it some rest?

Replies

• melissamauney
    Options
    I had the same problem. I put arch supports in my running shoes and it seems to help alot. You can do that or get a different pair of shoes.
  • miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My husband changed his shoes and it's helped him a whole lot. He also stretches before he runs now too.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch . . . warm at least twice as long as usual , then stretch, do your workout . . . then stretch again for at least 10 minutes. The more you stretch the quicker you will get some relief.
    I didn't take a break from running but worked through it incorporating LOTS of stretching.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for a proper pair of running shoes?
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    whenever I have taken an extended break from running and start again I experience this. It goes away with continued running, ice, and stretching, The stretch I do is to tie a resistance band around the leg of a table, and loop the other part around my foot as I sit on the floor (so the band comes across right below my toes) Then I dorsiflex my foot. I do this a few times a day. I am sure there may be some better advice out there for you, but thought I'd tell you what I do.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did a few things. First, bought a good pair of Asics running shoes (Brooks and Saucony are good too), stopped using the incline, made sure I stretched my legs first, and only jogged every other day, or third day. It took two weeks and the shin splints settled down. For me , I think the issue was overuse and older not great fitting shoes.

Good luck
  • zriggsbee
    Options
    For immediate relief, ice your shins after you run. But defintely check the shoes you are running in and ensure they are right for your foot and how you pronate. You may also need arch supports. Be sure to replace your sneakers when the tread wears down as well...
    Like everyone else said, be sure to stretch. Also work on strenthening the shin/calf muscle by doing calf raises (own body weight) and toe/foot flexers (with a resistance band). 3 sets of 10 of each will go a long way.
    If they get really painful, take a break from running and give your self time to heal. pool workouts are great relief for shin pain sufferers
    Try to stay away from running on concrete... i know i know.. difficult if you run outside but the hard surface makes it worse.
    Also, do not come to a screeching halt when you stop running.. slow down gradually.. the harsh stop contributes to shin pain/issues
    last but not least... stay light on your feet when you run...

P.S. this info comes from personal experience... runner for 15+ years ... on a competitive collegiate level.. both sprints and long runs...

Good luck and Happy Running!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints are generally a blanket term for lower leg pain. They generally are an overuse type injury caused by poor training or some minor physical defect in the way which we run. I suffer thru them occasionally (usually when my shoes get bad).

Immediate treatment... freeze some water in a dixie cup. Massage the affected areas deeply with the ice. Cut back on your running until symptoms abate. A mild antiinflammatory will help (tylenol, advil etc) with the discomfort. Don't try to run thru them... they'll get worse and you could end up with a stress fracture.

Long term treatment... Stretch as much as possible before... during ... and after running. Deep tissue massage and ice will help as well. I personally go for ART therapy (Active Release Technique Therapy). You may look at strengthening the muscles depending on which form of shin spint you are getting (inside or outside of shin)

As others have mentioned look at your shoes as a possible source of the problem. The cushioning in shoes breaks down, the more we grind them into the pavement. Any shoe with more than 500 Km (about 300 miles) on it should be discarded.... depending on the quality of the shoe, this may be sooner.

You may also want to look at seeing a sports physio and having a gait analysis done. You could be either a pronator or suppinator who requires a specific shoe (motion control, stability or neutral) or requires an orthotic to compensate for a running defect.

Hope it helps!
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I used to get really bad shin splints when I ran track, the best thing you can do for them is RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate). Doesn't mean you have to stop running altogether, but take it easy, crosstrain and listen to your body. You can also get Compression Socks that put pressure on your lower legs and are supposed to help a lot (I've never tried them but I know people who swear by them). And if you go to a specialty running store, they can analyze the way you run and get you the right pair of shoes (pricey, but if you keep running you'll get your money's worth).
    There are also some great yoga dvds and classes designed specifically to help runners. It makes a huge difference in helping to prevent all kinds of injuries.
    :flowerforyou:
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've never been fitted for running shoes before. Maybe I should check that out. I do own a pair of fairly new nike runners, but I don't know if they are the right ones for me.

I've been doing my P90X lifting workouts, then going out running afterwards. I figured my legs were warmed up enough. I did some light stretching before and stopped and did some halfway thru my run. Guess I need to do more.

Thanks for all your advice. I am new to running, and I just jumped in running 3 miles to begin with. A little ambitious I think and paying for it now.
  • JaimeNay
    Options
    And thanks for the ice advice, will apply as soon as I get home from the office. Got a lot of great advice that I will adhere too and I'll take it easier from here on out.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    We're glad to help. Out of curiosity... How often do you run? Being an overuse injury, you may want to cut back either on distance or frequency. I only run four days a week and cross train or weight train on the fifth. You need at least two days a week to allow for recovery (I take Mondays and Fridays off).

This brings to mind a very important rule for running... don't increase your mileage by any more than 10% per week. If you do run 10 miles this week then don't exceed 11 miles next week. With running,You need to build slowly or you'll end up with overuse injuries. Its amazing how many people get injured by not following this simple rule.
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    REST REST REST REST

also, Ice and elevate before and after excercise. Take a few days off to just ice/elevate/ibupfrofen.

Then get on the elliptical for lower impact cardio.

Let those suckers heal. Shin splints are not a "run through the pain and it'll work itself out" deal. The more you subject that injured area to running, the more injured they will become, and there is a chance they could become a much more serious problem (compartment syndrome).

Give them a couple of weeks to heal, reintroduce running slowly. If you feel pain again, go back to resting. Don't stop icing/elevating them after excercise for awhle.

And whatever you do, don't try to STRETCH your shins. Instead, strengthen them with calf raises and the like.

My brother is an athletic trainer/physical therapist and my Dad is a hall of fame track and field coach. Believe me on this.
    Edited to add-- I saw someone up above mention the dixie cup ice massage trick. Works like a charm. But only put pressure on as you're pulling the ice toward your heart, not toward your foot. You want to push that blood back to your body!
  • JaimeNay
    Options
    @ Jeff Rodgers, I auctually just started this week running. I've never been a runner before and thought I'd try to do a 5K May 1st. Guess I over did my first week. Ran 3 miles on Monday and 2 miles today. Got a suggestion for starters ( how much to run a day/week). Would like to build up to do a 10K or more later.

I guess I'll be putting off running for a couple of weeks till they heal. Glad for the input, or I'd be out running and making things worse in the morning. Will have to try the Dixie cup tonight. Thanks
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    A lot depends on your general fitness level and understanding of running (which of course I don't really know) I have looked at a great deal of plans. Some of the more common include the Learn to Run, or Couch to 5K programs.

As a beginner and considering you already have shin splints... I would suggest starting slowly to allow some healing and to build up to doing a 5 K. Really it's like building a house... you have to have a good foundation or base.

Try this plan;

Week one - start at One minute Run, 5 minute walk for 20-30 minutes.
    Week two - would be 2 Minute Run, 4 minute walk for 20-30 minutes.
    Week three - woudl be 3 Minute Run, 3 minute walk for 20-30 minutes.
    Week four - run 4 minutes, walk one
    Week five - you should be running 5 minutes and walking one.

After week five, you would try to expand beyond 5minutes... but you leave the one minute walk in place. The one minute is a recovery period that allows you to perform longer.
    If it is too easy...you may be able to jump forward a few weeks depending on your level of health and fitness. Don't jump staight into doing a 5K either.

The mind and the body don't always agree on things... and thats where injuries come from. Make sure you leave a little healing time in place and build slowly. After 5 or 6 weeks, I suspect you'll be moving towards those your longer runs.

I could probably send you some more detailed plans depending on how it goes.

Hope it makes sense.