Yoga

Jon_Rod
Jon_Rod Posts: 158
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have been thinking about trying yoga....not sure if I should but a friend of mine told me it helped him...Should I????

Replies

• Im interested in this...im looking to improve co-ordination and flexibility and heard this can help
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Yes. Excellent for strength, connecting mind/body, lengthening the muscles, and all over body control. I did it last night and I am sore in my abs, arms and thighs and I feel awesome.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Start slow and easy and you'll be surprised how you'll be able to do more complex poses as time goes by. At the moment I'm an office yogi...lol - but it sure does help to break up the 40-hours-a-week-chained-to-a-desk stuff!

Question - anyone try hot yoga? I'm thinking I can go out in my backyard in the summer and do it naturally! :)
  • i love yoga, its great... what's hot yoga?? i love pilates too
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Yes! Flexibility is key! It can be a challenge but it is so refreshing. Definitely makes your muscles feel great! You don't have to be the most flexible person to do it but doing yoga will help improve your flexibility over time. Also, it can be good for strengthening. Some parts of yoga require a lot of harnessing your own body weight.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Hot yoga or Bikram is just yoga with the heat cranked up to about 100...I think. I don't have the nerve to try it.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Yoga can mean different things. Some yoga classes are very gentle and while building strength also relax you. Other classes are very intensely challenging and just dang hard workouts. The girl next to me in a vinyassa class was dripping sweat during this fast-paced class. Hatha yoga can be equally difficult in that you hold the challenging positions for long periods. Try some different types of classes to find the best match for your goals. Will be curious to hear how you like it.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    I do an hour long yoga class at least 3 times a week. I do it, even if I get no other form of exercise in. It is unique in that it challenges your strength, balance, and does a lot for your internal organs. I have gained significant strength and recovered flexibility as a result of my practice. But I feel the mental benefits I have received are just as great, if not greater. Yoga gives you perspective on the ability to make small change, and it also helps you to see how difficult small change can be. And I am able to take those lessons with me through the rest of my health and wellness journey. I strongly recommend it, but always warn that it can take a few times before you get comfortable.
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    I've done hot or Bickram yoga plenty of times... it's intense but soooo relaxing and wonderful. I definitely feel more relaxed but somehow also more worked out in the end in comparison to regular yoga. The heat gives your muscles even more room to stretch out. Traditional Bickram is in a room around 110 degrees (F) or so.. I suggest doing heated yoga first-- they usually start around 90 degrees. If you're trying it in a studio they usually tell you the temp on the website. Just make sure and have a towel to go over your mat so you don't slip and slide and a big ol' bottle of water! LOVE IT!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    You should definitely try it. One of the best things is that you can go at your own pace until you feel more comfortable or are stronger. Plus it is unique in the way you recognize that your body is not going to react the same every day. Some days I can be steady as a rock the next I can barely hold warrior 2, forget about half moon. (plus it is fun to learn what all those are). As proud as I am each time I improve on a run, leaving a yoga class doing wheel or crow for the first time is such a high!
  • Hot yoga or Bikram is just yoga with the heat cranked up to about 100...I think. I don't have the nerve to try it.

wow that sounds crazyyy
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    I agree with all PP's. Also, what's the harm in just trying it? There are so many different styles of yoga out there, so many different instructors, that you could have a grand time just checking them all out.

Be warned: Just like any other new exercise, you will be sore in places you didn't know existed, especially if you go with an active flow class, like Vinyasa or Bikram. And in case your teacher doesn't tell you, take breaks when you need them. It's supposed to challenge you, but it's also supposed to feel good.

Good luck!
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Hot yoga or Bikram is just yoga with the heat cranked up to about 100...I think. I don't have the nerve to try it.

wow that sounds crazyyy

yea and add about 95% humidity as well!
  • sjpraja
    sjpraja Posts: 7
    Start slow and easy and you'll be surprised how you'll be able to do more complex poses as time goes by. At the moment I'm an office yogi...lol - but it sure does help to break up the 40-hours-a-week-chained-to-a-desk stuff!

Question - anyone try hot yoga? I'm thinking I can go out in my backyard in the summer and do it naturally! :)
    I have...definitely worth it. I use to have knee pains and lower back pains, definitely worth it to get rid of toxins and lactic acid from your muscles. Highly recommended
  • sjpraja
    sjpraja Posts: 7
    I agree with all PP's. Also, what's the harm in just trying it? There are so many different styles of yoga out there, so many different instructors, that you could have a grand time just checking them all out.

Be warned: Just like any other new exercise, you will be sore in places you didn't know existed, especially if you go with an active flow class, like Vinyasa or Bikram. And in case your teacher doesn't tell you, take breaks when you need them. It's supposed to challenge you, but it's also supposed to feel good.

Good luck!

Very true do the yoga at your own pace
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    I LOVE yoga! It's great for the body and spirit. I've tried many classes, but found Hot Yoga and flow are my favorites.
  • MissCherrySuicide
    MissCherrySuicide Posts: 17 Member
    I did a 14 day hot yoga challange, I ended up going 7 days in a row, and finishing the challenge with 10 days all together (its tough!). But in that 14 days, I lost 7 inches, and 6lbs. You sweat out all the toxins from you body and it really helps you get focused.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    I love hot yoga. It is 39 deg C and high humidity. It takes a few visits before you don't think you're going to die of heat exhaustion. There are 26 moves and two breathing exercises, each of which you do twice. It doesn't have so much of a spiritual focus as other yoga practices I've done, but the heat does put you into a more focussed frame of mind. I also got my head to my knee for the first time in years, the heat does help you get further into the stretches.

I do a lot of exercise apart from this, but I do think it is helping with toning (especially my arms).

GG
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    ... plus it's like big-o sweaty orgy of half naked beautiful people with a girl/guy ratio of like 15 to 1. The benefits are endless!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    pkpzp228 - I must say my girlfriend told me it was hot guys not wearing much looking buff working out and sweating and I was there, but unfortunately you are right there are many more girls than men.

GG
This discussion has been closed.